Inspiration required

Old Boggy

Decided to use an antler fork to make a thumbstick from one of my remaining seasoned hazel sticks, but have a dilemma.

This is a work in progress as I`ve yet to finally shape and polish the bleached cow spacer and apply Danish oil to the shaft etc.

The antler fork is far from even with one tine much smaller and thinner than the other.

I normally cap the tines with black buffalo horn but as the larger tine is quite dark, decided on cow horn as a contrast.

However, I`m not happy with the smaller tine, which I think needs something added. The alternatives so far therefore are -:

Leave it as it is (pretty boring)

Add a cow horn tip (might look strange as it`s so small)

Add a black buffalo horn (might look odd against the opposite cow horn)

So I`m looking for inspiration from the likes of Boo or Stimo who are far more experienced and capable than me to advise what could be done to enhance the overall look of the stick with another alternative.

You may think that if that is all I`ve got to worry about when the `Cantley Mole Strangler` (see the long standing thread) has far more important issues to deal with, then I should think myself most fortunate.

Any advice, ideas or criticism would be greatly appreciated, even if the advice is `make sure next time to get a more even bit of antler`.

OB

Stick_003.JPG

Edited by Old Boggy

35 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

Make the thin one into a dog whistle thats what mine has,,, must say was not done by me bought at penrith game show about 8 years ago handy if out with the dog and forget the normal whistle...

tyhats a good idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i was always paranoid about losing my dog whistle i usually had 4 knocking about...and so did everyone else...:good:

Needs Brass.!!

I would either polish it right up proper shiny see how it looks then either leave it, or as said make it into a dog whistle, or maybe cut the end off, drill out the tine and use it for a fire stick, Nice bit of brass as a handle on the firestick ,maybe? 

Or a bit more drastic, cut that smaller tine off completely right back like this...

rethink.png

Then cap off the scar with a nice bit of buffalo horn or brass, and hey presto thumb stick to hiking stick. Think it would look pretty cool. 

Old boggy , tip it in cow horn , would of used cow horn as the spacer as well , maybe a thin section of white bone or buffalo either side of it , leave the tip on the other side as it is , be a simple yet classy thumbstick ....sometimes less is more...

Yes Boo, I agree, should have used cow horn as the spacer. Too late now of course, but I will add a cow horn cap to the smaller tine. Just don`t like the idea or looks of the bare tine.

Perhaps next time, I`ll heed your good advice or even ask for it before I start.

Thanks again. It`s always good to have constructive criticism. It`s the only way that I`ll learn and perhaps get it right next time.

OB