Cartridge question

Hi, I've recently been given 15 full boxes of cartridges 🙂

Unless I'm being particularly thick, which isn't unknown, they don't say if they are fibre or plastic wads.... maybe it's because they're pretty old and were around before plastic wads were available ??

They are Winchester AA trap 100 12ga 32g 70mm   7 1/2's

Any info welcome.

Thanks

Mat

IMG_0892 (Medium).jpg

IMG_0893 (Medium).jpg

You lucky sod!

These are plastic wads, and were widely considered 'the best' cartridges you could get … trap 200's had higher brass and were better if anything.

They'll obliterate any clays you send their way, and will be pretty damned good on woodies also.

One for the retro connoisseur !! 

OK thanks for the information.

I was hoping they were fibre's as I'm going on a simulated game day out next month and I need to use fiber wads only. I have a good stock of plastic wads already, but no prob I'll just have to go get another couple of slabs 🙂

Mat

A blast from the past quite literally, I used these all the time 30+ years ago. Note 32 gram (or 1 1/8 oz) is no longer legal tender in competitions where 28g max is the rule 👍

Also worthy of note, the cases are sought after for reloading, I believe it was because they were injection moulded.

19 minutes ago, matgriff said:

I was hoping they were fibre's as I'm going on a simulated game day out next month and I need to use fiber wads only. I have a good stock of plastic wads already, but no prob I'll just have to go get another couple of slabs 🙂

Mat

They are far too good for loads of shots at easy clay targets, go and buy yourself a 1000 of the RC Romagnola's they are probably the cheapest fibre's you'll find.

IMG_20200619_135509.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Sorry lads, I disagree. Horrible cartridges.
Somebody once gave me a box of Trap 100’s and I fired two and gave the rest of the box away.  Most uncomfortable cartridge I have ever fired, and I very rarely feel any sort of cartridge go off, up to and including .470 Nitro Express.

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sorry lads, I disagree. Horrible cartridges.
Somebody once gave me a box of Trap 100’s and I fired two and gave the rest of the box away.  Most uncomfortable cartridge I have ever fired, and I very rarely feel any sort of cartridge go off, up to and including .470 Nitro Express.

Well I reckon you'll be in a small minority!

Just been out to my local gun shop,  he told me that they don't have any clay shells and haven't been able to get any for a few months due to the Coronavirus shutdown 😞

Not sure how true that is, but I came away empty handed.

Not sure about those AA trap cartridges being too good for clays... I'm a rubbish shot anyway and all cartridges are better than I am, so I usually go for the cheapest available... and they don't come much cheaper than free 🙂

Thx

7 hours ago, matgriff said:

Mat

I got 500 Hull Superfarts Fibre from Wiseman's, Cannock,  just before lockdown. £100.

Edited by Westley

The Winchester 100's will most likely be PLASTIC wads, I do not recall ever seeing any with fibre wads and I shot 1000's during 1970's. You could use ANY shot load back then. I used a Remmie 1100 Trap gun and also a Skeet version. The 32 gram 100 and 200's were possibly the best cartridge around at the time. Eley were still recovering after their 'Explosion' and were still having cartridges loaded in France (and NOT very well !). I recently found a bag of reloaded 100 cases, which I had loaded with 3 shot 32 grams for Geese. I used Tippex to mark the crimps so that I knew what they were when flighting under the moon.  We never really felt recoil back then, it was considered to be an 'occupational hazard'.  Happy days.

Well respected cartridges, when I used to be shooting clays or should I say at clays. I would think almost certainly plastic.

I remember the last that I found were at a shooting ground near Chester. I've never stuck with a cartridge since they became unavailable.

Undoubtedly plastic wad. I've got 100+ unboxed Winchester Rangers of a similar vintage (67mm, shot size 6, I think 30g but not marked). Have established that they're plastic having cut one open. I don't use plastic wads and it seems a waste to use them on clays as I know they're fairly sought-after.  With a lot of cartridges you can tell the wad by seeing how much give they have in them (plastic wads tend to have a bit of flex if you press from the side) or holding up to the light. With Winchesters they have a nice good quality hull so neither of those approaches work!