Bird ID please

Yer man

Any ideas what this is? Saved from a cat by a neighbour, my bird book has let me down. Obviously a nestling,just fledged. About the size of a juvenile jackdaw or blackbird. Not so obvious from the photo is that the eyes have bright yellow rings around them. Beak is corvid like and bright yellow/orange. Nearest I can think is a chough but wrong colour beak and a bit small?

Queue up and make me look uneducated!  😄

unknown bird.jpg

5 hours ago, Yer man said:

Any ideas what this is? Saved from a cat by a neighbour, my bird book has let me down. Obviously a nestling,just fledged. About the size of a juvenile jackdaw or blackbird. Not so obvious from the photo is that the eyes have bright yellow rings around them. Beak is corvid like and bright yellow/orange. Nearest I can think is a chough but wrong colour beak and a bit small?

Queue up and make me look uneducated!  😄

unknown bird.jpg

Can’t see that blackbird being alive now. Poor thing. My garden is a sanctuary for songbirds, the dogs and my boys make sure of that.... no predators welcome 

I shall retire suitably crushed!

In my (weak) defence, this bird's wing feathers are still not fully emerged from their sheaths, so I assumed a fledgling and its beak is much heavier than any blackbird I have seen, so on both counts I discounted a blackbird itself. 

But still alive and recuperating in my aviary. Won't take food from me yet or from the ground, though it is able to move around if it has to. Time will tell....

Had success with this Jackdaw, dropped by a crow, who is now whizzing around quite happily with all the others in the field

grommette.jpg

1 hour ago, Yer man said:

In my (weak) defence, this bird's wing feathers are still not fully emerged from their sheaths, so I assumed a fledgling and its beak is much heavier than any blackbird I have seen, so on both counts I discounted a blackbird itself. 

But still alive and recuperating in my aviary. Won't take food from me yet or from the ground, though it is able to move around if it has to. Time will tell....

Had success with this Jackdaw, dropped by a crow, who is now whizzing around quite happily with all the others in the field

grommette.jpg

The blackbird is probably moulting which could have thrown you.

10 hours ago, Yer man said:

grommette.jpg

Young jackdaws are funny at this time of year they either survive or die mate hope you pull it through 

9 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Er...isn't that true of everything? Existence is usually pretty binary...

Err yeh but look at the state that young jackdaw is in,like I say it will pull through or die as it’s at the stage it will take food from you or not..