Half done project needs finishing

Wb123

When I lost a lot of work at the start of the pandemic I started doing some work on my disco. I have the boot floor out, it needs some chassis work, new boot floor, new rear cross member, and some patching to the inner wings and wheelarches. I have the repair panels and some plate to cut up but now work is picking up and I don’t have time. 

Does anyone know if the plague has many welders/mechanics out of work and if so would advertising the job and a day rate be a reasonable way to finish the job? If so any idea what is the going rate for cash per day? I would guess there is a weeks work in it. 

27 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

A weeks welding on a rusty land rover would need to be minimum 1k.

Being a Landy man, having built a series 2 from chassis up and a disco that was on going at the same time, I bought a welder and did it all myself. Burnt the candle at both ends and angle ground it in the middle. Long long hours and a welders sun tan.

£1000 seems a fair estimate given what needs doing, wouldn't be surprised if it cost more in a garage. There's as much grinding and cutting as welding.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Being a Landy man, having built a series 2 from chassis up and a disco that was on going at the same time, I bought a welder and did it all myself. Burnt the candle at both ends and angle ground it in the middle. Long long hours and a welders sun tan.

£1000 seems a fair estimate given what needs doing, wouldn't be surprised if it cost more in a garage. There's as much grinding and cutting as welding.

My last ( probably? ) Land Rover goes today,  I dont have the enthusiasm for welding any more.

If we go on a 40 hour week, that's only £25 an hour. You wouldnt find a garage at that price

6 hours ago, Big Mat said:

My last ( probably? ) Land Rover goes today,  I dont have the enthusiasm for welding any more.

If we go on a 40 hour week, that's only £25 an hour. You wouldnt find a garage at that price

I said that about Landys, several times. Been a while now and I'm looking again😁 trouble is I can't do the work myself anymore so I have to take that into consideration when buying.