HPR recommendations

Westley78

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

We get so much garbage realed out about the breeding of a dog but as I said before, if it isn't taught it's manners and behaviour, like kids they become a nightmare. Not a lot of difference.

Bang on. 

It took us over 12 months to find what we wanted, we looked all over the UK from Dorset to just over the border in Scotland, and ended up finding a lovely litter from just 10 miles away. Yes the breeding was good but more importantly they were  well known and respected parents. A chap we have known for a number of years had a Lab roughly the same time as us, many a time we would compare how they were getting on, we recently found that his poor dog is basicly a cripple, shoulders, elbows and hips all causing problems, going through Court at the moment. The advert promised a  puppy from a decent family only to find out it was a puppy farm that had passed the pups and mother to a foster home as it looked better for selling. 

Mrs dougy has been with horses and dogs since quite young, (thats loads of years ago) Having a horse with no manners is to say the least quite allot more difficult to control that a dog, but similar as in if they want to be disrespectful they will be. Once you have taught manners they are the foundation of good behaviour and a happy relationship,  My experience with dogs has always been JRT's, getting those to pickup shot game is a doddle, but getting them to bring back the whole bird is virtually impossible. 

5 hours ago, Dougy said:

A chap we have known for a number of years had a Lab roughly the same time as us, many a time we would compare how they were getting on, we recently found that his poor dog is basicly a cripple, shoulders, elbows and hips all causing problems, going through Court at the moment. The advert promised a  puppy from a decent family only to find out it was a puppy farm that had passed the pups and mother to a foster home as it looked better for selling. 

You'd be surprised how common that is. Entire litters being bought in Ireland and driven over to the UK. Advertised from Ireland, then dropped at some nice country home that's all posh and nice where the pups are collected. 

Not just the irish lads doing it as well, plenty over here being bred in back gardens then taken over to the pup sellers house days before or day or sale. 

• 1 year later...
On 19/06/2020 at 21:13, Westley78 said:

Guys,

I am looking for some recommendations for a HPR, the intention is to use the dog for rough shooting and a hide companion as well as a family pet.

It will be my first time dog training so I am looking for something I can train easily.

Any advice would be welcomed 

thanks

west

What did you end up with mate?