.22 hornet

pigeonbasher1

39 minutes ago, walshie said:

Like rocking horse whatsit second hand and not much better new. Once people know how good they are, they rarely sell them.

What would you say are the advantages of the hornet? I've spoke to a few people about wanting a centrefire myself when j can afford one and was told not to consider a hornet and go for .223 or a .222 for range and accuracy.

55 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

What would you say are the advantages of the hornet? I've spoke to a few people about wanting a centrefire myself when j can afford one and was told not to consider a hornet and go for .223 or a .222 for range and accuracy.

Agreed a 222 or 223 has more range, but my hornet is every bit as accurate as my 223 and a lot lighter to carry. Great fox round out to 150 yards, maybe a little further, and most of my shots are well within that range. As most people's are probably. 

I suspect the people who are telling you to avoid a hornet haven't actually had one. 

7 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I will start off by saying that I have a 222!

Now with that out of the way I never get why people say such rubbish. If you say to people you’re looking for a hornet they always say get a 222/223 is faster, flatter and has more power. Then step back and next week tell the same people you’re looking for a 222 and they will tell you to get a 22-250 for the same reasons. Tell people you want a 22-250 and they will say you want a 243. Its honestly a never ending cycle.

I have a 222 because its best for my needs, the fact its flatter and more powerful than a hornet has nothing to do with it. Its all about the quarry(s) you’re after and the circumstances in which you are hunting!

If i was a gamekeeper and wanted a ‘truck’ rifle I think a 22 hornet would be top of my list.

I have a  .243, .22hornet, .17hmr and .22 lr. 

Hornet is the one I would keep if pushed, favorite gun of my daughter as well. I reload with a classic Lee loader , have a press but enjoy the process 😊

Very  few areas where a clear 175yd + shot is available so Hornet is ideal. Neighbour has a .222   also a fine calibre for what we need. More accurate in the real world than most people think they can shoot (me included😄). Negligible recoil, decent power and cheap to run .

Edited by monshussar
spelling