Can someone reverse a bank transfer

Lloyd90

I did a bank transfer last week. Large amount for a vehicle. NatWest kept me there 20 mins whilst they did security checks on the receiving account. I even had to ring the dealer, a main dealer, and let the cashier hear him confirm that their acc num and sort code were correct.

PS Lloyd, well impressed on the Welsh prop bit....well done!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

I did a bank transfer last week. Large amount for a vehicle. NatWest kept me there 20 mins whilst they did security checks on the receiving account. I even had to ring the dealer, a main dealer, and let the cashier hear him confirm that their acc num and sort code were correct.

PS Lloyd, well impressed on the Welsh prop bit....well done!

It was only the  boys club ;) 

Played against the Scottish land in Sterling, great crack, I got a kick in the face and split my eye brow open in the first half, as it was an "international" match a Dr on the sideline stitched me up there and then and I went back on in the second half. 

No concussion / head injury precautions back in those days :lol: ... quite dangerous really. I had a tremendous headache for the rest of the night / next day, although our Physio did keep checking I was ok to be fair. 

Re the bank transfer, I phoned TSB and they confirmed the money is in my account and available to spend. I asked them if it could be reversed. They said no if there is an issue then the other person's bank would contact them to say there's an issue and my bank would speak to me to ask what's happened. 

Will transfer the details over to the bloke now online ... can do it online on the DVLA site now, never knew that. 

Lloyd, I played a bit. No.8 at grammar school and loose head prop for the local town club afterwards. In school rugby I broke a leg, two collar bones, a knee and two concussions..........fortunately ( for me ) all other people’s.  Club rugby was a shock to the system! The club decided I was a prop and the first training session I was up against a tough Welshman with fifteen year’s more experience than me. I found out I wasn’t as tough as I thought!

25 minutes ago, London Best said:

Lloyd, I played a bit. No.8 at grammar school and loose head prop for the local town club afterwards. In school rugby I broke a leg, two collar bones, a knee and two concussions..........fortunately ( for me ) all other people’s.  Club rugby was a shock to the system! The club decided I was a prop and the first training session I was up against a tough Welshman with fifteen year’s more experience than me. I found out I wasn’t as tough as I thought!

Some good crack playing Rugby and easy to keep fit when your playing a sport you enjoy... shooting doesn't have the same cardio benefits sadly. 

Carry a few shoulder/elbow weaknesses from those days, mad to see young lads smashing up their bodies really. 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Some good crack playing Rugby and easy to keep fit when your playing a sport you enjoy... shooting doesn't have the same cardio benefits sadly. 

Carry a few shoulder/elbow weaknesses from those days, mad to see young lads smashing up their bodies really. 

My shoulders are in bits after years of playing rugby. I still try to play cricket but am limited to a bit of mediocre batting. Shoulders stop me from bowling/throwing and knees mean I can’t keep wicket for any length of time. 

100% they can not get the money out of your account, even if they claimed fraud you would have to give consent for your account to be debited

Recovering any bacs payment is on a best endeavor basis with no guarantee of recovering funds

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:
1 hour ago, AVB said:

My shoulders are in bits after years of playing rugby. I still try to play cricket but am limited to a bit of mediocre batting. Shoulders stop me from bowling/throwing and knees mean I can’t keep wicket for any length of time. 

......Carry a few shoulder/elbow weaknesses from those days, mad to see young lads smashing up their bodies really. 

Strewth, and I thought that sport was good for your health. Glad I dodged most of it as a youngster

Be aware very very much they CAN and are reversed. Do an internet search. It's a myth that bank transfers cannot be reversed.

One of the usual scam was to pay in too much "by mistake" and then ask the mug punter to pay back what had been overpaid in cash to the purchaser when they collect the vehicle. So not only does the victim lose the vehicle but also he's paid the scammer cash money on top. Doubly done in fact.

Edited by enfieldspares

17 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Is it just me or have you just admitted on an open forum to having ridden an untaxed/uninsured SORNed bike around the block?

It's a private drive so what's the issue? 

Apologies if "round the block" you took to mean around the local streets... the bike never entered the public highway for clarification. We have a massive private drive out the front of ours thats a big circle / loop where you can go out both sides. 

46 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

The one bit I find strange is why didn’t he come with his friend to collect it? 
Secondly, as your able to withdraw £500 per day on most cards from a cash point- then he could have paid cash?

Maybe I’m just suspicious these days!

The bloke who picked it up was just sent to collect. He said to me the blokes name and then he said "OH I did one for him last week... I think he buys and flips them to be honest with you mate". 

I imagined the bloke was doing that as he's too old to be driving round on a 125 bike ... TBH I don't care I got full asking price what I wanted. The bloke obviously buys up bikes, does little bits on them and then sells them on for a few quid. Fair play if he wants to do it, I knew the bloke who bought the last car I sold was just going to add a few quid onto the price and stick it on the forecourt of his garage. He also paid me the price I wanted and the car was gone.

I am very suspicious myself as well mind. I do keep checking that the money is still there :lol:  

Edited by Lloyd90

A bloke on FB claiming a lad came to his and bought a pup, paid by bank transfer, left with the pup, (Somehow unexplained) reversed the bank transfer, and then the next day sold the pup for a significant amount. 

Madness ... Surely the money hadn't gone in or something :hmm: very weird. 

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

A bloke on FB claiming a lad came to his and bought a pup, paid by bank transfer, left with the pup, (Somehow unexplained) reversed the bank transfer, and then the next day sold the pup for a significant amount. 

Madness ... Surely the money hadn't gone in or something  very weird. 

Probably FB bull ****

47 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Madness ... Surely the money hadn't gone in or something  very weird. 

For bank transfers there is CHAPS, BACS, SWIFT and Faster Payments. 

If it’s faster payments it can’t be reversed. 

“Faster Payments are processed in matter of seconds and once your payment is sent, it cannot be stopped or reversed “

Straight from the horses mouth link below 

http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/faqs

Bacs payments can show up on your account as pending as they take three days to process. I know Nat West altered how they showed these as it was easy to mistake  as cleared funds on the mobile app. 

These pending transactions can be reversed on day 1 before 18:30  however once they are cleared  funds they can not be reversed. 

So the only way it can be done is to send by BACS, it then shows up on the sellers account as pending but the seller mistakes  this as cleared the buyer then cancels before 18:30 on that day. 

42 minutes ago, timps said:

For bank transfers there is CHAPS, BACS, SWIFT and Faster Payments. 

If it’s faster payments it can’t be reversed. 

“Faster Payments are processed in matter of seconds and once your payment is sent, it cannot be stopped or reversed “

Straight from the horses mouth link below 

http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/faqs

Bacs payments can show up on your account as pending as they take three days to process. I know Nat West altered how they showed these as it was easy to mistake  as cleared funds on the mobile app. 

These pending transactions can be reversed on day 1 before 18:30  however once they are cleared  funds they can not be reversed. 

So the only way it can be done is to send by BACS, it then shows up on the sellers account as pending but the seller mistakes  this as cleared the buyer then cancels before 18:30 on that day. 

Thankfully my bank confirmed over the phone the funds had cleared into my account and were available to spend :)

I had a tour operator I contract to on a self employed basis reverse a transfer of the fee they paid me on 13 March this year. Was notified as having been paid into my account at 10.00am on 13 March but when I was in my bank later in the afternoon of that very same day it had been reversed by them. I was none too happy and it took them then three weeks for them to finally settle the account and pay what they owed to me. 

Edited by enfieldspares

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I had a tour operator I contract to on a self employed basis reverse a transfer of the fee they paid me on 13 March this year. Was notified as having been paid into my account at 10.00am on 13 March but when I was in my bank later in the afternoon of that very same day it had been reversed by them. I was none too happy and it took them then three weeks for them to finally settle the account and pay what they owed to me. 

What did your bank have to say about it? 

How did it happen? 

As we can see reading this thread, most people are of the belief it can’t be done.

On 20/06/2020 at 22:21, Lloyd90 said:

I'm sure I asked this question before but wanted to check.

I have just provisionally sold my motorbike that I advertised earlier today, bloke came down quickly as I had a number of people coming tomorrow to view/take it so he asked if he can come tonight to have first choice... he came down, no messing about, I drove it round the block to show it works etc, he said he wanted it and said he will pay the asking price (£1,100) ... the motorbike is currently SORN as my licence expired and I didn't renew the insurance and tax etc. However did MOT it today.

The bloke gave me £100 in cash just now as a deposit to secure the bike as he didn't want it going / someone else buying it (to be fair I had a lot of interest)... and he said he is sending his mate tomorrow to pick it up in his van (reasonable as the bike is SORN and its only a little 125 and he came about an hours drive). 

I have given my sort code and account number, he said ring him when his mate arrives and he will transfer the remaining balance into my bank account and away his mate goes with the bike. 

Once someone transfers the money into my bank account it can't be reversed can it?

He seemed like a nice enough bloke, said he does motorbike photography. 

It can 100% be reversed before 9 am the following working day without raising any dispute at all.  If he disputes the transaction it can be held as uncleared funds by the sending bank, it may show in your account but you may to be ale to access it as cleared funds until 5 days after dispute resolved.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

My bank said that the tour operator, through their bank, Lloyd's to my bank HSBC, had reversed it saying the payment had been made "in error" and that that was that. The money had been in and had then been reversed and gone back out.

Id say to them It hadnt been done in error and your bank has authorised The removal of money from your account without your consent and you’d expect them to replace it. 

Phoning TSB to check they told me that they would speak to me first if it was tried 🤷‍♂️

They seem to make it up as they go along.