Round 3

Jacko3275

Well I met with Jdog for the third time this week (very generous man you know)  at around 3pm  we had previously talked about the options which where a standing rape field still getting hammered and  just showing mustard .... Jdog was going to set up on the mustard and send me to checkout the rape field  as I arrived at the top of the rape field about 20 or so birds lifted but at the bottom of it there was a lot of movement so I thought I would give it a go at the bottom sun behind wind slightly behind and from the right as I drove to the set up point I’d chosen there must have been 200 birds lift  up  sadly after set they all decided that the top of the field was the best place to dine  I gave it an hour  had one or two kind of look at the magnet  but unlike yesterday I couldn’t hit them ... after a call of off Jdog who was having as much luck as me I bangered the top of the field to see I would have any joy ( didnt have any ) Or pack up and join jdog  .. as I got to Jdog his fortunes had change and he was building a nice bag I set up 50 yard to his left  the bird did come in either fast above from behind some from the left and some on a returning flight line that may fancy a snack on their way home ... my first kill was a 45 yard crosser which made me grin again after the first couple of hour after that I hit a shot I will never ever replicate again  I didn’t shoot many but the ones I did will be etched in my memory forever yet again another great day  with the legand that is Jdog great company great afternoon shooting class bloke and a true friend ( even though I’m never getting invited again) cheers .. the bag was 28 picked about 5 lost  

p.s. jdog didn’t shoot too bad either 

Edited by Jacko3275

We were always going to struggle once I saw the mob of pigeons on the field Jacko chose to shoot in flock mode and once I heard yet another Butterfly shooter right on the flight line to the mustard.

My companion pulled off a shot the likes of which I have never seen in all my years shooting. A pigeon came towards us from the far end of the field no more than 5m off the ground. At what was still a great distance it did a right turn and flared off. I glanced at my companion in his hide and he was standing up bare armed. This would be the reason for the pigeon deciding on a change of course. He then shot it. I have never seen a bird of any sort shot at a distance like that. To put a figure on the distance would lead to ridicule.

After shooting five days out of the last ten I am having a rest from pigeon shooting for a while.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

We were always going to struggle once I saw the mob of pigeons on the field Jacko chose to shoot in flock mode and once I heard yet another Butterfly shooter right on the flight line to the mustard.

My companion pulled off a shot the likes of which I have never seen in all my years shooting. A pigeon came towards us from the far end of the field no more than 5m off the ground. At what was still a great distance it did a right turn and flared off. I glanced at my companion in his hide and he was standing up bare armed. This would be the reason for the pigeon deciding on a change of course. He then shot it. I have never seen a bird of any sort shot at a distance like that. To put a figure on the distance would lead to ridicule.

After shooting five days out of the last ten I am having a rest from pigeon shooting for a while.

Another great report of what is for some a typical days pigeon shooting , anyone coming into the sport and see three figure bags shot and think this is the norm will soon find this is not the case , if they do continue , then over a period of time there knowledge of the pigeons behaviour will increase and so will there bags .

As for shooting five days out of the last ten and needing a rest , just think if you had jobs like the two crack pigeon decoyers ( Motty + Muncher ) who are in full time employment and still often manage to go five days out of ten :lol: , these Norfolk boys are a hard ole breed .

No , to be honest you deserve a rest and I hope you enjoy it and come back keener than ever once your batteries have been charged up :good:

12 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Well I met with Jdog for the third time this week (very generous man you know)  at around 3pm  we had previously talked about the options which where a standing rape field still getting hammered and  just showing mustard .... Jdog was going to set up on the mustard and send me to checkout the rape field  as I arrived at the top of the rape field about 20 or so birds lifted but at the bottom of it there was a lot of movement so I thought I would give it a go at the bottom sun behind wind slightly behind and from the right as I drove to the set up point I’d chosen there must have been 200 birds lift  up  sadly after set they all decided that the top of the field was the best place to dine  I gave it an hour  had one or two kind of look at the magnet  but unlike yesterday I couldn’t hit them ... after a call of off Jdog who was having as much luck as me I bangered the top of the field to see I would have any joy ( didnt have any ) Or pack up and join jdog  .. as I got to Jdog his fortunes had change and he was building a nice bag I set up 50 yard to his left  the bird did come in either fast above from behind some from the left and some on a returning flight line that may fancy a snack on their way home ... my first kill was a 45 yard crosser which made me grin again after the first couple of hour after that I hit a shot I will never ever replicate again  I didn’t shoot many but the ones I did will be etched in my memory forever yet again another great day  with the legand that is Jdog great company great afternoon shooting class bloke and a true friend ( even though I’m never getting invited again) cheers .. the bag was 28 picked about 5 lost  

p.s. jdog didn’t shoot too bad either 

Another fine report you are a lucky man to have JD as a friend for invites, did you video the long range shot? 

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Send some over this way while you’re having some time off.