Multiple Stabbings in Reading, three dead...

Dave-G

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky news were reporting it as a terrorist incident during the early hours: with a tag about authorities asking people on social media not to share the (now inevitable) videos nor utter any information to the effect of reaching their own conclusions.

I interpret the no sharing request as a bit of an eye opener making it harder for government and media to get away with whatever slant suits them best and try to avoid any truth about the suspect that many witnesses will have seen with their own eyes. 

Its high time those who like to select and twist facts about events accept that camera equipped mobile phones are everywhere and people will use them to counter the bull we're fed.

Edited by Dave-G

1 minute ago, Dave-G said:

Sky news were reporting it as a terrorist incident during the early hours: with a tag about authorities asking people on social media not to share the (now inevitable) videos nor utter any information to the effect of reaching their own conclusions.

I interpret the no sharing request as a bit of an eye opener making it harder for government and media to get away with whatever slant suits them best and try to avoid any truth about the suspect that many witnesses will have seen with their own eyes. 

Its high time those who like to select and twist events accept that camera equipped mobile phones are everywhere and people will use them to counter the bull we're fed.

I see it more as one of privacy and decency; seeing innocent people killed in detail - possibly even before their family know about it formally is plain wrong (in my view).  If people showed videos of members of my family being killed - I would find it very upsetting.  It is right that these are not made public.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I see it more as one of privacy and decency; seeing innocent people killed in detail - possibly even before their family know about it formally is plain wrong (in my view).  If people showed videos of members of my family being killed - I would find it very upsetting.  It is right that these are not made public.

That's a very fair point that I hadn't thought of to be honest John. The video's I saw didn't show victims faces but some might have been recorded.

Edited by Dave-G

Just now, Dave-G said:

That's a very fair point that I hadn't thought of to be honest John. the video's I saw didn't show victims faces but some might have been recorded.

I can see your point as well, but I think in this instance any video should be kept to use for the 'authorities' in case needed for evidential purposes (where it would be no doubt seen by the jury/court, but not made public).  In this case - I doubt much evidence would be needed like that because the perpetrator was caught red handed.

In the New Zealand attacks last year(?) video footage was initially shared and then quickly taken down by the likes of Facebook etc - and I think they made the right call.  Families shoukd have privacy in these sad and distressing events.

It is sort of the same scenario as people starting at motor accidents - another thing I dislike!

Just got back in. Reading is my home town and I know Forbury Gardens well. It has a bit of a chequered history. Despite being almost opposite the Crown Court (er...also opposite Reading Jail!) it was a real drugs pit. If you wanted it, then Forbury was the place to go to get it. Then the council said, 'Right. Enough's enough. Let's sort Forbury once and for all.' They cleaned it up, put a really nice cafe in, put walkways and paths through, kept the grass in check and festooned the place with flower beds. It's now a place where families take their kids to play and students laze on rugs (what else do they do anyway?).

To see this happen in a place that's been so peaceful and cared for since its revamp is desperately sad for the town. Three lives lost to a despicable act where a man goes from group to group stabbing people just enjoying the sun. Appalling. Reading's always been the sort of place where you'd say 'it'd never happen to us'. Now it has. Horrendous. 

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Once again the Police have had to state the "Suspect was known to MI5"

I think that most "asylum seekers" would be "known to MI5".  That is their job.

Asylum seekers are usually seeking asylum on the grounds that they are not safe in their own country ....... usually (not always, but usually) because they are acting illegally against the incumbent regime there.

There may be instances where they are genuinely decent people opposed to harsh totalitarian regimes .......... but many are possibly just anarchistically  inclined and wanting to overthrow the authorities.  It is a difficult call, but we should be MUCH more careful about such people and have a presumption to reject asylum seekers unless there are very good reasons why we know they will be 'good for the UK'.  Aung San Suu Kyi was very much welcomed by the west as a peace seeker ....... but since she got some power ...... has presided over alleged persecution and genocide against the Rohingya people.

People who oppose one government in another country because it doesn't suit them ......... may after a period feel the same about their new host.  Generally speaking - being an 'agitator' doesn't go away easily.

Wonder if we see the victims names on the back of football shirts of if there is thousands march on the streets to protest against this incident and kneel to there memory .somehow I think not .can someone wake me up up and explain what this country as become .why are powers that be not listening to the wishes of the British public .thoughts to the family's of those victims .

23 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I'm so trusting of the BBC nowadays too🤨

Falklands 82, told the Argies my sister Bn, 2 Para was advancing on Goose Green then told them that 2 & 3 Para marching onto Stanley.

Years later my son fighting in Iraq, 2003, they announced to the world his unit was set to enter Basra.

I could cite many others but they are just two that effect me personally. 

I would love the BBC disbanded.

(Nothing against TC I know he was just posting what was said)

Are they still staffed by volunteers? If so that's shocking.

Your opinion is justified, either of those events would cause me to think similarly. 

From the DM article;

"Saadallah, a Libyan refugee, is reported to have come to the UK to escape from 'Islamists' in his homeland 

His arrest under the Terrorism Act has been slammed by his brother Mo, who has described it as being 'racist'

Gordon Bennett!

17 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Just got back in. Reading is my home town and I know Forbury Gardens well. It has a bit of a chequered history. Despite being almost opposite the Crown Court (er...also opposite Reading Jail!) it was a real drugs pit.

I used to work in the old Metal Box building (Energis) and can remember seeing one hell of a fight kicking off there - we even called the police

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

From the DM article;

"Saadallah, a Libyan refugee, is reported to have come to the UK to escape from 'Islamists' in his homeland 

His arrest under the Terrorism Act has been slammed by his brother Mo, who has described it as being 'racist'

Gordon Bennett!

I sometimes struggle to see the terrorism link when these things happen, he's most likely just a nutter, and should be deported from a couple of thousand feet without a parachute. 

30 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I sometimes struggle to see the terrorism link when these things happen, he's most likely just a nutter, and should be deported from a couple of thousand feet without a parachute. 

Either or, he came to the UK as a tourist in 2012, then liked it that much he decided to stay by claiming asylum, due to threats by 'Islamists' back in Libya, because he drank alcohol....

"

Why was he not deported? Reading terror suspect is 25-year-old Libyan refugee who 'came out of prison two weeks ago', had mental health problems and was known to MI5 

The terror suspect accused of stabbing three people to death in Reading is believed to be a Libyan refugee who was released from prison just two weeks ago and was previously known to MI5.

Last October, Khairi Saadallah, 25, was sentenced to 28 months for breaching a suspended jail term, racially aggravated assault, criminal damage and affray.

He was released from HMP Bullingdon, Oxfordshire, 16 days ago after less than half of his sentence. 

Saadallah was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and delusional and paranoid schizophrenia, requiring medication before his release, a source told the Sun. 

Anti-terror police believe he stopped using his medication in the lead-up to Saturday's horrific rampage. 

He is thought to have come to the UK from Libya as a tourist in 2012 before claiming asylum saying he was at risk from Islamic extremists in his homeland because he 'liked to drink' and didn't lead a 'strict religious life'. 

However, once in the UK, he ended up in prison after committing several violent, non-terror offences.  

He is even thought to have converted to Christianity and has a tattoo of a cross on his arm.

Saadallah is also believed to have come to the attention of MI5 last year, after they suspected he was planning to travel to Syria for 'extremist reasons'. 

It is believed that he claimed to have fought both for and against ISIS, though officials assessing him found he didn't subscribe to any ideology or belief system and instead had mental health issues.  

An investigation revealed no immediate risk or threat and he was not under surveillance at the time of his alleged rampage. 

Despite his violent convictions, he is thought to have avoided deportation because of the UK policy not to deport foreign nationals to 'failed states' like Libya. 

On 21/06/2020 at 08:18, Walker570 said:

It will all come out in the wash BUT another case of allowing rubbish into the country.

Yes exactly, he came here as an illegal immigrant in 2012 yet despite having being continuously involved in criminality and street robbery he was given asylum two years ago. He only came out of his last spell in prison a couple of weeks ago.

We are barking mad, no other country would have been so stupid 

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

Yes exactly, he came here as an illegal immigrant in 2012 yet despite having being continuously involved in criminality and street robbery he was given asylum two years ago. He only came out of his last spell in prison a couple of weeks ago.

We are barking mad, no other country would have been so stupid 

Repeatedly!

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Either or, he came to the UK as a tourist in 2012, then liked it that much he decided to stay by claiming asylum, due to threats by 'Islamists' back in Libya, because he drank alcohol....

"

Why was he not deported? Reading terror suspect is 25-year-old Libyan refugee who 'came out of prison two weeks ago', had mental health problems and was known to MI5 

The terror suspect accused of stabbing three people to death in Reading is believed to be a Libyan refugee who was released from prison just two weeks ago and was previously known to MI5.

Last October, Khairi Saadallah, 25, was sentenced to 28 months for breaching a suspended jail term, racially aggravated assault, criminal damage and affray.

He was released from HMP Bullingdon, Oxfordshire, 16 days ago after less than half of his sentence. 

Saadallah was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and delusional and paranoid schizophrenia, requiring medication before his release, a source told the Sun. 

Anti-terror police believe he stopped using his medication in the lead-up to Saturday's horrific rampage. 

He is thought to have come to the UK from Libya as a tourist in 2012 before claiming asylum saying he was at risk from Islamic extremists in his homeland because he 'liked to drink' and didn't lead a 'strict religious life'. 

However, once in the UK, he ended up in prison after committing several violent, non-terror offences.  

He is even thought to have converted to Christianity and has a tattoo of a cross on his arm.

Saadallah is also believed to have come to the attention of MI5 last year, after they suspected he was planning to travel to Syria for 'extremist reasons'. 

It is believed that he claimed to have fought both for and against ISIS, though officials assessing him found he didn't subscribe to any ideology or belief system and instead had mental health issues.  

An investigation revealed no immediate risk or threat and he was not under surveillance at the time of his alleged rampage. 

Despite his violent convictions, he is thought to have avoided deportation because of the UK policy not to deport foreign nationals to 'failed states' like Libya. 

If only some of that information is true, he should have been long gone, shouldn't matter what state the country they come from is in, the carrot should be living in our great country the stick is if you break the law you will be returned to the country you came from.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

We really should demand a list of all the people responsible for allowing this rubbish to remain in this country. Somebody should be held responsible.

They say he arrived on a tourist visa in 2012 and promptly disappeared. Who the heck gives a 17 year old Libyan a tourist visa in the first place ??

25 minutes ago, Mice! said:

If only some of that information is true, he should have been long gone, shouldn't matter what state the country they come from is in, the carrot should be living in our great country the stick is if you break the law you will be returned to the country you came from.

The last bit  of my quote ?
You cant do it , and because of the legal ramifications..and COST , in legal challenges, it not going to happen..unfortunately.

It always makes me wonder, these people who flee violence and persecution, some flee the degradation and inhumanity of their parent countries culture, they come to a 'better' place in the UK.
Then bring all of that violence, degradation  and inhumanity  with them ?
Is this culture sharing, diversity ?

Ill say one thing, whether his mental state has bearing on it or not , he wasnt that deranged that he randomly slashed and stabbed at the victims, reports state he was going for the neck and armpit area, 2 of the most lethal places to stab or slash a person, causing maximum blood loss and death, with little hope of any type of staunching of wounds.

8 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You cant do it , and because of the legal ramifications..and COST , in legal challenges,

The purpose of leaving the EU was to take back control of our legal system and borders.  This seems avery good example of how and why that is needed.

19 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The last bit  of my quote ?
You cant do it , and because of the legal ramifications..and COST , in legal challenges, it not going to happen..unfortunately

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The purpose of leaving the EU was to take back control of our legal system and borders.  This seems avery good example of how and why that is needed.

As John says a change should be brought in, if you break the law, and I'm not talking speeding fines, you break the law, be it burglaries, muggings,  aggravated assault and upwards you suffer the consequences. 

The fact this man had already been sent to prison means he should loose the right to remain in our country,  no appeal you have broken the law your gone, now that would get the support of the British people.