Bats in roof space

Westley78

Hi guys,

Friends of mine have found that they now have about 20-30 bats living in their roof space and are concerned of the health implications of their small children as there are now a large amount of droppings on the patio.

Is the a safe and respectful way of encouraging the bats to reside somewhere else?

kind regards

37 minutes ago, Westley78 said:

Hi guys,

Friends of mine have found that they now have about 20-30 bats living in their roof space and are concerned of the health implications of their small children as there are now a large amount of droppings on the patio.

Is the a safe and respectful way of encouraging the bats to reside somewhere else?

kind regards

Only issue with droppings is the smell.. no health issues. 

Phone the bat society 👍🏻

19 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I believe it’s illegal to even try and disturb them in any way.

I think you might be right but wondered if you could put up bat boxes in the hope that they move into them of their own accord?

9 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Phone the bat society 👍🏻

Good to know 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, natural England should have a list of licenced bat professional people or the bat conservation trust

Thanks 👍🏻

See from Bat Conservation Trust

In Britain all bat species and their roosts are legally protected, by both domestic and international legislation.

This means you may be committing a criminal offence if you:

1. Deliberately take , injure or kill a wild bat
  2. Intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat in its roost or deliberately disturb a group of bats.
  3. Damage or destroy a place used by bats for breeding or resting (roosts) (even if bats are not occupying the roost at the time)
  4. Possess or advertise/sell/exchange a bat of a species found in the wild in the EU (dead or alive) or any part of a bat.
  5. Intentionally or recklessly obstruct access to a bat roost

you friend needs professional advice 

9 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

See from Bat Conservation Trust

In Britain all bat species and their roosts are legally protected, by both domestic and international legislation.

This means you may be committing a criminal offence if you:

1. Deliberately take , injure or kill a wild bat
  2. Intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat in its roost or deliberately disturb a group of bats.
  3. Damage or destroy a place used by bats for breeding or resting (roosts) (even if bats are not occupying the roost at the time)
  4. Possess or advertise/sell/exchange a bat of a species found in the wild in the EU (dead or alive) or any part of a bat.
  5. Intentionally or recklessly obstruct access to a bat roost

you friend needs professional advice 

Thanks I will let them know 👍🏻👍🏻

I believe the fine is £5k per bat but shoplifters and muggers only get around an £80 fine, strange law's we have. 

At work if any roofing job's or building extensions are found to have bats they are not allowed to continue, the bat man makes several visits adding another 2 or 3 grand onto the costs. 

I have a stuffed Pipistrelle mounted in flight on a fishing line. It flew into the Land Rover windscreen as I returned from stalking in Cumbria one evening 25 years ago. 
My wife and I watch Pipistrelles every evening in our garden in Derbyshire. I have no idea where they roost.

12 hours ago, B725 said:

I believe the fine is £5k per bat but shoplifters and muggers only get around an £80 fine, strange law's we have. 

At work if any roofing job's or building extensions are found to have bats they are not allowed to continue, the bat man makes several visits adding another 2 or 3 grand onto the costs. 

I think I’ll become a batman. Any idea where I can get the uniform from? 

On 22/06/2020 at 00:11, moondoggy said:

I think I’ll become a batman. Any idea where I can get the uniform from? 

Bruce Wayne - I'll get me coat

On 21/06/2020 at 12:34, London Best said:

I have a stuffed Pipistrelle mounted in flight on a fishing line. It flew into the Land Rover windscreen as I returned from stalking in Cumbria one evening 25 years ago. 
My wife and I watch Pipistrelles every evening in our garden in Derbyshire. I have no idea where they roost.

I was sat in the garden late evening enjoying the cool while a few pipestrelles flew around me - we have them every year around the house - I think they must roost in the school across the way from us but I could be wrong as there is a large field between that and us which I would have thought would have more insects??

6 minutes ago, discobob said:

Bruce Wayne - I'll get me coat

I was sat in the garden late evening enjoying the cool while a few pipestrelles flew around me - we have them every year around the house - I think they must roost in the school across the way from us but I could be wrong as there is a large field between that and us which I would have thought would have more insects??

We are only 80 yards from a 6 acre wood. I wondered if they roosted in hollow trees? We have an old oak in the garden, full of cracks and nooks and crannies. Nearest old ( derelict)  building is a 12 acre field and a main road away. The bats have come every year and we have been here forty years.

On 21/06/2020 at 10:24, WelshAndy said:

Phone the bat society 👍🏻

I always thought the droppings emitted spores which carried disease and were considered dangerous to health?

You learn something new every day!!

2 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

Thanks for that, an interesting read. They still fascinate me when I see them. 
We viewed a house that had bats in the roof. When inside we found quite a few dead in the log burner and on the stairs, it hadn’t been lived in for a while. Safe to say we didn’t buy it!