Silvers (type) Butt Pad Polish??

CaptC

I have just finished refurbishing a stock with traditional English finish. The stock has a Silvers type but pad that was very grotty - I have looked at old posts about applying a finish and shellac was suggested.

Before someone comments - I was asked to leave the age marks in the stock as the owner did not want to loose the "character" of the stock/gun.

Is there an easier method - thoughts please?

Thank you.

DSC_0002 (17).JPG

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

Edited by CaptC

Yes. Mix shellac with boiled linseed oil about 50/50, shake very well, and rub on with a finger. The boiled linseed oil helps keep the mixture liquid enough to rub it on and then evaporates off. I used to do this with any Silver's pad to "slick" it so that it came better into the shoulder and didn't catch on my jacket or coat. It also thankfully gives a age patina to the pad. If you bottle the stuff up it doesn't dry. I had a bottle of it in my gunroom for at least a decade. If you can't get shellac try "French polish" by the same method.

Edited by enfieldspares

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. Mix shellac with boiled linseed oil about 50/50, shake very well, and rub on with a finger. The boiled linseed oil helps keep the mixture liquid enough to rub it on and then evaporates off. I used to do this with any Silver's pad to "slick" it so that it came better into the shoulder and didn't catch on my jacket or coat. It also thankfully gives a age patina to the pad. If you bottle the stuff up it doesn't dry. I had a bottle of it in my gunroom for at least a decade. If you can't get shellac try "French polish" by the same method.

Thank you very much, that's just the answer I was looking for! Thank you.

Cheers

57 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Been to it looks really good