Brick laying

Around £600 per 1000 bricks.

Half brick(single skin) is 50 bricks per m so 4m2 in 9" work is 400 bricks. 

But it's probably not suitable to do in a day so I'd expect 2 days at £200 A day.

But all that depends on many other things like the footing, access, even type of brick and whether it requires bonding into existing work and whether it's faced up on both sides. Also whether it's cash for someone on a weekend or through a company.

Edd

Just to add that was labour only, bricks vary massively in price. Recently used bricks from less than £300/thousand to over £800!

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

Thank I’ll get bricks (have some salvaged engineering bricks if they can be used).  

It’s a free standing wall/little bit of a retaining wall.  Only one face will been seen in the main little bit at the top of back face. 
Access is quite good may not a van to the wall but with in 15-20m and I’ll move anything needed to it with quad and trailer. 

And of course cash. 

46 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Around £600 per 1000 bricks.

Half brick(single skin) is 50 bricks per m so 4m2 in 9" work is 400 bricks.

Edd

There are 60 bricks per square metre, and as this is a 9" wall that's double skin, so 8 square metres 😉 So that's 480 bricks required, plus 10% for damaged bricks.

If it's engineering bricks you're going to be using it will take slightly longer than if using stocks/flettons. I'd allow two days for a brick and a labourer at £250/day min.

You're also going to need quite a decent footing with the weight of engineering bricks on it 👍

1 minute ago, JKD said:

There are 60 bricks per square metre, and as this is a 9" wall that's double skin, so 8 square metres 😉 So that's 480 bricks required, plus 10% for damaged bricks.

If it's engineering bricks you're going to be using it will take slightly longer than if using stocks/flettons. I'd allow two days for a brick and a labourer at £250/day min.

You're also going to need quite a decent footing with the weight of engineering bricks on it 👍

That’s what the brick calculator gave me.  

Any advice on the footing it’s into chalk in an old railway embankment.  

5 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I’m afraid a 2m high freestanding brick wall with retaining element can only be designed by a structural engineer. Anyone who tells you anything else is sadly misinformed. Collapsing walls kill people in the UK. 

We probably do more than 20 retaining walls a year. 

Yup, you're correct,,,, the OP did say "a little bit of a retaining wall" so it depends on how much is little ?

8 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I’m afraid a 2m high freestanding brick wall with retaining element can only be designed by a structural engineer. Anyone who tells you anything else is sadly misinformed. Collapsing walls kill people in the UK. 

We probably do more than 20 retaining walls a year. 

It’s stood 150 years with out a wall so it’s not really retaining but couldn’t describe it any other way. It’s more a back drop to my range.  

I expect it’ll need a small buttress each side.  

I’m tempted to have ago myself. 

10 minutes ago, JKD said:

Chalk ?! Oh dear, that's a gubber to dig 😏 I'd make trench 18" wide and a foot deep, roughly 😉

Tell me about it just did about 6 tonnes over the last 2 weekends. 

Edited by welshwarrior

Ok understood. Still if it has earth behind it will no longer allow water to run freely. Hydrostatic pressure can build up from trapped water and blow a wall of it isn’t design to take lateral thrust. A lattice to create large drainage holes would help. I would call a Structural Engineer if you have any pals in the trade?  

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

So I'm guessing that it's a chalk embankment that you'll be digging into and down ? If yes, like you said, it's been standing for a few years and chalk doesn't tend to move much.

Yes it is 4m high on one side 6m on the other 25m across the top and 100m to next brick buttress for the old steel bridge. 

Built before 1884 out of service in 1934 then reopened as a bomb dump during ww2 

2 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

As above different ball game if it's free standing or retaining.

2m high retaining would need the first 600mm to be (off the top of my head) 750 (27") wide. 

Bit more to it than bricking up a door opening for example.

Edd

Was thinking the same,,,, the 'base' widened to a particular height, but the front face built flat for aesthetics.

5 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I’ll get dad to have look when he’s allow out almost 70 years as a structural engineer.  However as the wall crosses the main slope I doubt it will effect drainage to much as all the water falls away from cutting in the embankment 

That would certainly put my mind to rest 🤣 Engineering hasn’t changed much since his heyday so he will be more than capable 👍

2 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Yes it is 4m high on one side 6m on the other 25m across the top and 100m to next brick buttress for the old steel bridge. 

Built before 1884 out of service in 1934 then reopened as a bomb dump during ww2 

Sounds like an interesting area 🙂 Try building it yourself, once it's been designed correctly,,,, bricklaying is eeeaasy 😁

Interesting topic this,,,, brightened up a rather boring evening 😀👍

If it’s that thick I’ll just put in a railway sleeper wall just in front and replace them as needed the steel plate will take most of the punishment.  

Or a couple of sand filled hesco bastion baskets. 

4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

That would certainly put my mind to rest 🤣 Engineering hasn’t changed much since his heyday so he will be more than capable 👍

Not totally blind with a civils degree and growing up in an earth moving family 😜

Is there a reason for brick other than the fact that you have some?

Yesterday afternoon (they got to job about 1400) 2 of my guys laid about 600 blocks in a 1m high retaining wall.  That was all 18" wide

Blockwork can be a lot quicker than face brick!

Edd

Edited by eddoakley