Brick laying

I know nothing about bricklaying, so this thread is fascinating. I listened to a short on Radio 4 the other morning (4:50am!). It's all about how bricks have helped make the modern economy. It goes right through the history of the humble brick and shows how significant it's been. I was late getting to my fishing mark because of it! 10 mins well spent and I have a new admiration for bricks and bricklaying!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz2w8

Keep going, chaps.

17 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I know nothing about bricklaying, so this thread is fascinating. I listened to a short on Radio 4 the other morning (4:50am!). It's all about how bricks have helped make the modern economy. It goes right through the history of the humble brick and shows how significant it's been. I was late getting to my fishing mark because of it! 10 mins well spent and I have a new admiration for bricks and bricklaying!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz2w8

Keep going, chaps.

Cheers for the link, that sounds good. Will listen tomorrow on the commute 👍

On 21/06/2020 at 20:49, welshwarrior said:

I’ll get dad to have look when he’s allow out almost 70 years as a structural engineer.  However as the wall crosses the main slope I doubt it will effect drainage to much as all the water falls away from cutting in the embankment 

Hello, get your dad to do an assessment/ drawings, hire a mini digger half a day would do that, lay out the foundation and measure for concrete, depending how much concrete required, hire a mixer or you may find a ready mix company do small loads, that size wall with engineering bricks I would be inclined to try yourself some brick laying, ready mix mortor so you mix as you go along save wasting time with sand/ cement, oh and chalk is terrible when wet so cover trench and spoil if you get caught in the rain. good luck

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Going to try it myself.  All spoil goes into one of the main old flint pits in the woods. 

ive got use of a mixer so that’s no issue it’s only a small trench so will do it by hand with a pick and shovel.  

Good for you,,,, as I said before, bricklaying is eeeaasy 😉

I've only dug into chalk [with about 15% flint content] once. 10 linear metres, 600mm x 600mm,,,, used shovels, picks, a 950 Kango and a labourer,,,, the only thing that broke was the labourer 😂

Good luck with it all 👍

23 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Going to try it myself.  All spoil goes into one of the main old flint pits in the woods. 

ive got use of a mixer so that’s no issue it’s only a small trench so will do it by hand with a pick and shovel.  

Hello, well done, finding a builder to do small jobs is not easy and prices can vary or even find some still scam you which just happened to a family member