This'll make you laugh

After recently discovering a field of Peas and performing like a big girl's blouse with the 28g Friday - I took the proper gun out today (12g) and set up my decoys in anticipation of carnage. Well, apart from a bruised shoulder, a ringing in my ear and an awful lot of peppered Pea plants I managed to rid myself of 38 cartridges for a pathetic 8 birds down. To add insult to injury these birds were suicidal and flying dead straight, straight towards me at about head height. Power Reds (1500 fps) 27gr and a complete eejit behind the gun. 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

After recently discovering a field of Peas and performing like a big girl's blouse with the 28g Friday - I took the proper gun out today (12g) and set up my decoys in anticipation of carnage. Well, apart from a bruised shoulder, a ringing in my ear and an awful lot of peppered Pea plants I managed to rid myself of 38 cartridges for a pathetic 8 birds down. To add insult to injury these birds were suicidal and flying dead straight, straight towards me at about head height. Power Reds (1500 fps) 27gr and a complete eejit behind the gun. 

🤣🤣🤣!! i know that feeling well,the amount of times i'd have been better to put the gun away & started throwing stones!,i could have retired on the amount of cash i'd have saved on wasted cartridges... 🙁

Edited by 51/50

I remember one day in cut wheat when I had an audience (the farm lads) and honestly I was hoping the birds would stop coming in as it was a horror show of bad shooting. Once they went it all came back together again. Form is in your head. Was in a social clay comp last summer, doing very well for me on the first stands. Last stand and I was in the running to win, then I started being heckled by another gun’s wife. I don’t know why he couldn’t win and finished would below me regardless. Anyway I just shot through the stand as quickly as possible missing enough to knock me out of the top three. Wasn’t too fussed as it was only a few dozen guns but still I knew it was the peer pressure and my own mental pressure. In work I thrive under pressure and in adversity but not in shooting. 

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

People do not use gas auto's for no reason    !

Hello, bruised shoulder ? Ringing in your ear ? I had the same with some game bore high velocity 28g 7.5s, I think it puts you off mark, although I do use a light weight O/ U, I am sure most are shooting in summer clothes, any thoughts on L O P ? Mine are 14.5 inch summer 14.25 inch a winter shooting jacket, and the .25 1/4 inch makes a difference, is that what you find Bruno ?

Was shooting pheasants one day our eldest was standing just behind me I was missing quite easy birds getting frustrated then I realised I was shooting in new tweed jacket took it and give it to my son I don’t think I missed a bird on that drive what was left of it simple things put you of well it does me

1 hour ago, chilly1981 said:

Could be right there with my sliver pig winter I was good summer I was pants realised it’s be jacket changed but pad hits went back up 

I wouldn’t have believed it compared to rifles fit for a shotgun makes a big diff 

Your pupil is the rear sight so fit effects where it shoots. It takes some real unlearning as I came up through rifles. I like a very long LOP as I’m tall, athletic and have a neck. Most game shots are in their later years and have compressed a little... moving from a clay gun to lovely straight stocked little game gun was very hard for me. I now shoot an ugly pup but it has been ferried to for me so works. If I’ve shot well and there are birds in the bag I will get my little side by side out as it’s a pleasure to use, it just doesn’t fit me at all so I’m guessing a lot on POI. 

On 21/06/2020 at 20:02, WalkedUp said:

I remember one day in cut wheat when I had an audience (the farm lads) and honestly I was hoping the birds would stop coming in as it was a horror show of bad shooting. Once they went it all came back together again. Form is in your head. Was in a social clay comp last summer, doing very well for me on the first stands. Last stand and I was in the running to win, then I started being heckled by another gun’s wife. I don’t know why he couldn’t win and finished would below me regardless. Anyway I just shot through the stand as quickly as possible missing enough to knock me out of the top three. Wasn’t too fussed as it was only a few dozen guns but still I knew it was the peer pressure and my own mental pressure. In work I thrive under pressure and in adversity but not in shooting. 

As a group we give each other banter in the stands, because we all know each other and get along, but not to other groups and people we don't know. Bad form that. 

2 hours ago, manthing said:

As a group we give each other banter in the stands, because we all know each other and get along, but not to other groups and people we don't know. Bad form that. 

Was thinking the same, group of mates fair play, someone you don't know in another group bad manners, another competitor in a comp unsporting. 

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 19:04, bruno22rf said:

A refreshing post, I have trouble with those incomers too. My advice would be to enjoy your shooting and not put a number on it by counting the empties.

Bruised shoulders are excusable but not ringing ears, maybe step up your hearing protection

My theory about straight incomer is that we are always expecting them to deviate one way or another so we dither too long and mess up, in recent times I have had a little more success by putting the gun up when in range and firing straight at them without delay.

One of the worst shots in the book for me. low and i cant pick them out against the ground and lift my head to look for them. They usually overshoot the deeks and are on top of me to quick too close then i try to scare them so they flair. Anything other than perfect gun fit and you shoot down 1 side.