Old pointy pellets

Walker570

I remember both. Used to use the marksman in a hw77 as that's all we could afford. In relation to the bsa, used those in my supersport, as I remember the tins being higher (so of course it was special to a 15yo) than any other brand in the gunroom I used to buy them from. 

Ive tried marksman again in recent years. Dont want to disappoint, but they are rubbish. 

I've tried the Marksman. The problem is as not such that the design is, or isn't, intrinsically accurate. It's like the things in the azure blue tins sold as "Wasp Pellets" in that the dies are often so well worn that there will be no consistency from pellet to pellet as you'd find in a product where the dies get frequently replaced. They''ll work but much beyod twenty yards (in fact if much beyond fifteen yards they'll disappoint. Save them for plinking on tin cans of despatching squirrels and rats in cage traps.

Edited by enfieldspares

The Marksman are about somewhat shorter than the BSA.   Correct, the skirts do vary considerably and I think those will go in my lead pot.  The BSA look far more'professonal' in the way they are made and appear to be all the same size in the skirt, where it matters.  I will see how they check out through the AA S200 and if they print tidy at 20yrds they will get used on magpies and squirrels.  The BSA still have the price tag on the box of 500  £6..60p   The Marksman £3..25p but look considerably older. Any ideas how old?

I dont think that there were any pellets on the market cheaper than the Marksman, my experience was they were not very accurate, but did drop a few pigeons. I had never found pointed pellets to be too accurate anyway. 

I would say the Marksman are from around mid 70's 

We started off with marksman pellets. From memory they had an advert on the underside of the tin lid. We found by trial and error that most of the gimmick or cheap pellets were useless. When the best weapon in my armoury was an under lever I used to sort and lube pellets, throwing away any misshapen. A graded went into the leather hunting pouch, B graded went into a pot for practice. Marksmen went in the bin 🤣

My first airgun was an old diana 24 

And i found marksman were the best in it . (Only other i tried were purple tin wasps .) I shot a lot of things with that combo ..

Mainly apples , bottles ,windows .and a few living things too .

I remember buying them in a small carboard box .not a tin .

The Marksman are in the lead pot. They where all covered in grey dust anyway looked like they had ben around for a while.  I'll try the BSA's this morning and they might go the same way.

Well a quick half dozen shots at 10yrds put them all through the same hole and they shoot about 1/2 inch lower than my Mosquitos.  10 -12yrds is the average for taking tree rats on my flip tops and the pellets went through 3/8th ply and 5/8ths pine so think Fluffy might get a sudden headache.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

The Marksman are in the lead pot. They where all covered in grey dust anyway looked like they had ben around for a while.  I'll try the BSA's this morning and they might go the same way.

I was going to say they are probably all oxidized and useless anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

Marksman pellets are still available new. My local hardware store sells them, £1:37 for 200 .177’s 🤩

My bro and I used to buy a box of .177 for 3 old pence. (A very long time ago). When the fairground people turned up at the local park we headed to the shooting stalls. The stall owners had some old Diana's that had a small piece of tube braised on the front end of the barrels to accomodate a cork, which was then fired to knock the prizes off of the shelves.The corks just weren't man enough with the clapped out rifles, but with  pellet assist, did the job ok at 6 feet. The stall owners often used to remark that the boxes of liquorice allsorts had a small hole in them?  Didn`t affect the taste though.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 12:06, Mice! said:

I was going to say they are probably all oxidized and useless anyway. 

if they are not top notch what's wrong with using them for plinking? it's all part of the fun of airgun ownership. Slight (or even severe) oxidation will not render them useless (but don't lick your fingers :no: )

I believe that the best pellets for accuracy are good quality domed pellets.

Edited by martinj

2 hours ago, martinj said:

if they are not top notch what's wrong with using them for plinking? it's all part of the fun of airgun ownership. Slight (or even severe) oxidation will not render them useless (but don't lick your fingers  )

I believe that the best pellets for accuracy are good quality domed pellets.

I know Walker doesn't plink, if they were getting used in a break barrel for tin bashing I'd say use whatever,  but not for quarry in a pcp, just likely to foul up the barrel. 

I used a few tins of huntsman and bsa excaliber back in the early 90's through my sharp innova. I remember taking a shoebox full of squirrels tails to the fishing shop to sell for fly making. those pellets did the job.

Edited by stu64
spelling