Fitting a transducer to Bluefin Kingfisher

Big Al

After a couple of years using a cheap Chinese fishfinder, I've just ordered a Garmin Striker four. I use a Bluefin Kingfisher kayak. I see the hull has a recess for fitting the transducer, but I'm a bit worried that it could get damaged as I fish some pretty rough rock marks and beach up on rocky shores. I'm wondering what others with the same kayak have found? Is it safer to fit it inside the hull? How have others fitted theirs (photos would great.) I'm also thinking of fitting the battery in the centre console and drilling a hole to the fishfinder unit. Basically, any advice appreciated! The cheap Chinese one was a lot simpler to use!

Edited by Big Al

Which model Striker 4? If it comes with the GT20-TM Transducer (S4 CV or CV plus), then that's pretty long (about 20cm or so) and it doesn't fit in a lot of recesses. You need to have an appreciable gap between the bottom of the transducer and the hull, so that anything you go over scrapes the yak first, but it also needs to be always submerged in the water.

If you can't fit it wholly inside the recess, your best bet would be the inside hull option. Then it's a case of creating a sealed unit with no air pockets in which the transducer can go. Two options for this, either putty or a permanent water filled container with the transducer in. The latter is a bit more complicated, but guarantees no air bubbles. The former's a doddle, but more likely to end up with bubbles under the moulding, which affects the sonar's feedback. The other option is on a little arm over the side, like this. But I don't care what anyone says, you feel the drag of the arm when you're paddling! I tried it for a while and quickly dispensed with it!

image.png.4fb6f9701368482843b8b48ad585dbe5.png

Personally, I'd fit the battery in the hull, not the centre console. leave the console free for kit. Batteries are best left alone, so if you can, I'd have it somewhere where you won't be accidentally knocking the cables, or getting tangled in them. You could have the FF unit on there, but have the battery and the wires coming out of the hull, maybe here...

image.png.9d7b9499564d4fc1d2b9a33a48ab5efe.png

Have you already built a battery box for it?

Edited by chrisjpainter

I was  putting a piece of foam to hold it securely in the centre console,  but as you have suggested a box in the hull I will have a look at that. It certainly seems much more sensible than my centre console idea.

The device is a Simple striker 4 ( not plus or cv)

If you have a battery box, I take it that it is secured either by straps or silicone?

Incidentally,  the Kingfisher has 2 mounting points on the mirror opposite of where you have circled. I'm hoping to use them to secure the unit. The scupper hole just below it is into the pre-moulded transducer point. 

I could use waterproof grommets from there to the battery accessed via the front hatch.

The fishfinder/transducer thing is always a tricky one on a kayak - even when there's meant to be a specific system for it! Having said to keep your battery away from the centre hatch, that's exactly where mine is, but mine's in a Viking Reload, so the whole thing just comes out.

Let us know how it all goes!