50meter group cci hollow points .22lr

First time I’ve tried the cci sub hollow points in my cz 452 22lr didn’t think that was a bad group? I bought the rifle off a friend who did a lot of target shooting with it he’s had it about 10 years and only ever used Winchester’s in it. A asked him when he last cleaned it said never and he’s had it from new. 

525EFB4B-DB94-454B-A86B-FCA42AB71D47.png

I am no expert on rifles or ammo but at 50 meters that looks a poor group, I have the same rifle and use Eley subs and I am pretty sure I could put all 5 shots in the blue.

I will say I did try a number of different makes but the CZ shot consistently tighter groups with the Eley subs.

Edited by old'un

I was very surprised at how consistently  CCI standards grouped at 100 yds  Considering they were only £3.50 a box, I think they are a bit more now.

HPs are never as accurate because the noses are uneven to the air flow

Edited by Vince Green

As said above. I would expect clover leaf/hole touching at 50 yards. 

My Marlin .22Lr likes the CCI segmented and will cloverleaf those at 50yds, same with Eley subsonics although the group on them opens up to a greater degree at 100 - not sure if they destabilise at all?? 

RWS and Winchester are awful through it, struggle to shoot tighter than an inch. 

Try some other brands and see what it likes. 

How were your shooting? Bipod? Or rest? Did you use a solid rest at the rear? 

You want to get the rifle on a sand bag with a rest under the butt stock at the back, either sat on a bench or prone, then you’ll see what it’s really capable of (which is most likely all bullets touching the 6 area or at least just one small ragged hole. 

The beauty of 22lr is that it’s so cheap you can buy a box of each type of ammo to test and it’s only peanuts. 

As already said , your cz452 should really be expected to clover leaf at that range , and again as already said , if you're shooting from a bipod , if you're shooting offhand, then it's not so bad.

My cz452 is fantastic with eley subs , but rubbish with anything else , so try a few different brands , you might be pleasantly surprised.  

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How were your shooting? Bipod? Or rest? Did you use a solid rest at the rear? 

You want to get the rifle on a sand bag with a rest under the butt stock at the back, either sat on a bench or prone, then you’ll see what it’s really capable of (which is most likely all bullets touching the 6 area or at least just one small ragged hole. 

The beauty of 22lr is that it’s so cheap you can buy a box of each type of ammo to test and it’s only peanuts. 

It was from bi pod lying on my front in a grass field. Same sort situations when I shoot rabbits 

Well it would certainly kill a rabbit 👍

The gun should be capable of single hole groups at 50 yards with the correct ammunition. I used to shoot competitive small bore with diopter “iron” sights - the target was effectively the white dot marked “6”. The guns are capable of it. 

Try putting some Winchester 42gr Max 1065fps Subsonics through your CZ,my 455 likes nothing else,on a good day it will easily put every shot tightly into a 1 inch bull at 50yds & remains very accurate out to 120yds,it hates CCI & Eley.

That's off a bench,bipod & bags.

Edited by 51/50

4 hours ago, cooter said:

There was a 22lr accuracy test run on UKV to see how close the 'bug hole' really was.

Some very expensive rifles and also a lot of standard gear was used. It makes good reading.

https://ukvarminting.com/topic/35243-22lr-accuracy-expectation-challenge-3-consecutive-5-shot-groups-post-photos/

That was an eye opening thread that ran for a good while. My point, when I posted the original targets was to show that a single group proved very little, and a three shot group even less.

I've seen many claims "My ****** .22lr consistently shoot's less than an inch at 100yds" but in my experience,  one inch 5 shot groups happen, but not consistently unless you are using quite sophisticated equipment and lot tested match ammunition.

After shooting hundreds of .22lr groups with a variety of rifles and ammunition, my feeling is that in good conditions a good rifle, with good ammunition, with an experienced shooter shooting from a solid position can average about 1.25" at 100yds. For every 1" group there's just a likely to be a 1.5" group

At 50 yards the groups should be a little better than half that.

This is the target I posted showing how easy it was to select good groups and make wild claims - This is 30 consecutive shots at 68 yards with my Sako Finnfire with Eley subsonic HP's, two good groups at about .5moa and four groups about average.

E85FTe1l.png?1

Hell some world class shots here! My cz with Ely subs zerod at 70 yards works fine for me. 70 yards means it's also zerod at 16 yards. So anything between 16 yards and 80 yards no need to hold high or low just point and shoot. At 100 yards 4" drop. Years and years of rabbit shooting has given me this knowledge. As for groupings I never put 5 in a rabbit.

Would have expected better but I think you should give the gun a right good scrubbing and start again. Target guys don't often clean barells but every now and then it should be done. Buy a couple of boxes of different ammo and see what it likes. Some 22s can be really fussy when it comes to ammo, mines a semi auto remington 597 and can't abide winchester stuff. Stock standard with a scope and bipod it will cloverleaf at 50yards so your CZ should be capable.

Try a few makes, I have a gun that like Winchester subs but looks more like a shotgun pattern with Eley subs, I have another gun which the complete opposite is true.

Each to their own but I would very much advise against cleaning it. Worst thing I ever did to my gun and won't be doing that again (22lr)

14 hours ago, London Best said:

Funny how many rifles do not like a Winchester subs. Mine loves them but won’t shoot CCI.

My rifle being semi auto is where being fussy really comes into it, especially with subsonics and a kack magazine design! The winchester subs sometimes don't have the oomph to fully cycle the action, it will go far enough to eject and chamber the next round sometimes but won't cock the hammer. Accuracy wouldn't be too bad but eley tend to be much better.