Jump to content

Browning 325/425 20 gauge


Recommended Posts

Anyone know if Browning scaled down the 20 gauge guns in their 325/425 series i.e. action and pistol grip, as well as obviously the barrels? I am quite interested in acquiring one and the scaling down would be a bonus, if it applies. I seem to recall that they were scaled down, but others will know better than I do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, London Best said:

I know nowt about this, but from observation it looks to me as if the 28 and .410 is built on a 20 action.

That is a very helpful point, and it makes entire sense for there to have been a separate 20 gauge action with the other small gauges in the manufacturer's mind. Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, London Best said:

I know nowt about this, but from observation it looks to me as if the 28 and .410 is built on a 20 action.

That is correct, I also believe that the new 16 bore 525 is also on the action of a 20, not seen or handled one but am keen to

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very many thanks to all of you for your informed posts. Just what I had hoped for. I am encouraged to go ahead with a purchase, either now or later. (I am in need a bit of a treat at the moment, though whether I deserve one is another matter.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gamekeeper1960 said:

I have a 525 20 gauge as well a XSH 12 gauge and the 20 is a very scalded down version and with a the straight hand stock it handles brilliantly as a game gun ...

I have been looking for a 20 with a shs unfortunately not in their current offering in the UK

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22 June 2020 at 11:15, button said:

That is correct, I also believe that the new 16 bore 525 is also on the action of a 20, not seen or handled one but am keen to

Looking at the various adverts on GT for 16g Browning 525s they all seem to weigh in excess of 7 lbs, which to my mind defeats the object of a 16. I therefore doubt very much whether they are on a 20g action, but not too sure about this.

Have just watched a short YouTube video by Tim Bridge (the late Colin Bridge's son) of Countryways Guns where he 'suspects' but not too sure, that it's on a dedicated 16g action. 

The only 16s that I know are on dedicated actions and weigh in the region of 6 1/2 lbs are the Lincoln range and possibly the more expensive guns by Chapuis.

OB

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Looking at the various adverts on GT for 16g Browning 525s they all seem to weigh in excess of 7 lbs, which to my mind defeats the object of a 16. I therefore doubt very much whether they are on a 20g action, but not too sure about this.

Have just watched a short YouTube video by Tim Bridge (the late Colin Bridge's son) of Countryways Guns where he 'suspects' but not too sure, that it's on a dedicated 16g action. 

The only 16s that I know are on dedicated actions and weigh in the region of 6 1/2 lbs are the Lincoln range and possibly the more expensive guns by Chapuis.

OB

Having just checked the browning site the shadow 20 is listed as weighing 3.2kg, which would certainly suggest it is on a 20 action

Link to post
Share on other sites

mmm, i have a "white lightening 16 gauge and it is on a much smaller action than my previous 525 12 gauge, like you gents say part of the joy of a 16 is the lightness, "shoots like a 12 handles like a 20" i will stick mine on the scales, i have a straight hand  version stock with an extension. 

if that shadow is on a specific 16 sized action that would be a temptation......

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Zimtrout said:

mmm, i have a "white lightening 16 gauge and it is on a much smaller action than my previous 525 12 gauge, like you gents say part of the joy of a 16 is the lightness, "shoots like a 12 handles like a 20" i will stick mine on the scales, i have a straight hand  version stock with an extension. 

if that shadow is on a specific 16 sized action that would be a temptation......

You interested in selling?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, button said:

I have been looking for a 20 with a shs unfortunately not in their current offering in the UK

No a very rare beast over here I'm afraid but keep an eye on gun trader every now and then they do turn up..must say I love mine best handling game gun I've ever owned. .👍

Ps handles 32g Black Golds a treat. ..😊

IMG-20180218-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by gamekeeper1960
Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the handling of browning/miroku 20b is fantastic as a game gun. The weight around 7 lb suites me but has great balance. I also prefer the proportions/aesthetics of the browning action in 20b - it feels less bulky. I've got a Miroku mk60 20b g5, love it, shot my best season with it last year, but the ejectors do seem to be a bit of an issue. My top one is fussy on cartridges and a friends 725 would hardly extract the cartridges.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...