The delights of a Turkish Shotgun.

bruno22rf

So, after a dismal performance a few days ago with my little KOFS Sceptre 28g, I have been searching for a valid reason and I'm pretty sure that the stock is too long for me - using the old butt in the crook of my arm, my trigger finger barely touches the trigger and every time I shoulder the gun, the butt catches under my arm. Quick word with my Gunsmith reckons around the £50 mark to remove the existing recoil pad (about an inch) and replace it with a plastic unit. After a bit of head scratching I remembered that KOFS also do a junior version with an inch shorter stock. One quick call to the importers (Sportsman Gun Centre) and I am shocked at the price of a replacement Walnut stock...........£63.!!!! How, on earth, can they make a stock and sell it for such a low price?

36 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Quick word with my Gunsmith reckons around the £50 mark to remove the existing recoil pad (about an inch) and replace it with a plastic unit.

You can do this yourself … get a screwdriver, take the existing pad off … any go and have a round and see how you get on.

If it's about right, search the net for a screw on replacement but a lot thinner .. with a bit of luck it'll cost you about 15 quid .. job done.

With no luck you may have to drill 2 holes and sand the edge of the plastic … but that's not difficult.

17 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Don t know but for £63 I’d rip their arms off before they change their minds 

Me too, but mainly because I'd hang on to it and sell it on for a profit as sure as eggs someone will be after one 'ere long.

It's well known that the "old butt in the crook of my arm" does nothing but indicate how long your forearm is. If you use a tape measure you'll even get a figure. What happens if you move your fore-end grip in towards you a tad - does the butt still snag when you mount? £65 is not a lot of dosh, but I'd rather know what the problem actually is before parting with it. If shortening is necessary, then I'm with Smoker.

Appreciate everybody's input but a shorter stock has to be a good starting point - I'm built like an Umpa Lumpa and the gun in question catches under my arm on mounting - I have to push the gun well forward then bring it back to meet my shoulder. It's very distracting when you have a bird hurtling towards you and  have to fumble just to get the thing in your shoulder.

So the stocks on kofs junior guns make the reach to pull 12 inches .

So thats 2.75 inches shorter than your current 14.75 one .

I have a junior kofs 20b .and i bulit the stock pad back up to 13.75 inches which is what i prefer on all my guns The 12 inch will be too short for you as is unless your diddy .

Also the back of your hand will bosh you nose .

Order your self a beartooth neoprene stock extension kit while your at it .

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Only reference I can find says 12.75 inches compared to 14.75 for the adult? Footnote - now you got me worried Stu so I rang SGC and they say it's 13" so happy days.

Because any LoP adjustment is not a straight-forward linear correction I would hazard a guess that from the measurements given you'll be adding as much if not more to the youth stock than you would have had to take off the existing one. I would still go with Smoker's initial suggestion of a trial with the current pad removed.

Do not spend any money until you know for sure. I made a stock spacer to add onto LOP to be right ‘feel’. Not pretty but I will give it a few months to see how it goes and if I need to adjust. My spacer is on the long side so I can simply cut it down incrementally until I get a good fit. Then sort a real spacer in ebonite. If you have any real money it would worth going to get a gun fitted by a fitter with a test gun and clay ground.

Yep 13" - fitted and a huge improvement - even comes with a stock bolt!! The recoil pad is ventilated and is 1/2" shorter than the pad fitted to the standard stock so I could increase the length just by changing the pads - well pleased, just waiting for the heat to die down then I will go scare some more pigeons. Great service from SGC, couldn't fault them. 

On 22/06/2020 at 12:34, DUNKS said:

They do say that when the gun is mounted your nose should be two finger widths from your right hand.

They say between 1 and 2 fingers for gun down disciplines which when a gun fitter works to 1/16” measurements is a massive difference. 

On 23/06/2020 at 09:27, London Best said:

If you go to a competent gun fitter he won’t be measuring your forearm or your nose.

correct