The delights of a Turkish Shotgun.

bruno22rf

17 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

They say between 1 and 2 fingers for gun down disciplines which when a gun fitter works to 1/16” measurements is a massive difference. 

correct 

A 'hand' is 4" so how many 1/16" are there in a finger? If you make allowances for summer, winter or spring/autumn clothing this has always worked well within its intended usage: ie. - and I'm probably going to wish that I hadn't said this - as a rule of thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2020 at 11:08, bruno22rf said:

So, after a dismal performance a few days ago with my little KOFS Sceptre 28g, I have been searching for a valid reason and I'm pretty sure that the stock is too long for me - using the old butt in the crook of my arm, my trigger finger barely touches the trigger and every time I shoulder the gun, the butt catches under my arm. Quick word with my Gunsmith reckons around the £50 mark to remove the existing recoil pad (about an inch) and replace it with a plastic unit. After a bit of head scratching I remembered that KOFS also do a junior version with an inch shorter stock. One quick call to the importers (Sportsman Gun Centre) and I am shocked at the price of a replacement Walnut stock...........£63.!!!! How, on earth, can they make a stock and sell it for such a low price?

Just for interest, how do you find the tgrigger pulls?

I just bought one for a bit of fun & maybe early season partridge shooting.

My hit rate was shocking but put it down to how heavy the triggers were.

I was snatching the triggers to get them to operate & subsequently 'pulling' the barrels up over the targets.

any info much appreciated.

Steve 

On 26/06/2020 at 11:34, wymberley said:

A 'hand' is 4" so how many 1/16" are there in a finger? If you make allowances for summer, winter or spring/autumn clothing this has always worked well within its intended usage: ie. - and I'm probably going to wish that I hadn't said this - as a rule of thumb.

Next time I’m fitting someone for a pair of Boss shotguns I’ll use fingers just for you!

PS I won’t as the factory will think I’ve gone nuts.  

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

Next time I’m fitting someone for a pair of Boss shotguns I’ll use fingers just for you!

PS I won’t as the factory will think I’ve gone nuts.  

And there lies the difference between those who know and those who think they know.

4 hours ago, London Best said:

And there lies the difference between those who know and those who think they know.

Yep, never mind your fingers. In his "The Try Gun Its Use And Abuses" Chris Cradock goes for 1&1/2 to 2&1/2". That's a lot of sixteenths. As in all things it must be read and taken in context. Just as in this case we're talking of giving a guideline for a shooter to have some idea of what the LoP should approximaately be when the gun is mounted and not held in the crook of the arm and nothing else. Consequently, it must be said that DUNKS has a point.

• 1 year later...
On 22/06/2020 at 11:39, paulinlincs said:

I think I paid about that a few years ago for a Yidliz junior stock. It's actually a decent piece of wood too. It does make you wonder how they make a profit ( sure they do)

Hello where did you get it from if you don’t mind me asking please 

regards 

gary 

• 5 months later...

A bit of a thread revival but does can anyone recommend a suitable replacement butt pad for these 28g Sceptres that doesn't require a whole load of grinding and sanding to get a good fit? 

The existing pad is ever so slightly too long and is made from the most god awful piece of rubber I've seen fitted to a gun and snags on just about any piece of clothing I have worn while shooting it.