Sad, sad day...

Walker570

My neighbour and friend John Toon, ex police officer, ex Firearms Licnesing officer, Leicestershire Police, dropped dead this morning at home.  He was renoun for his work as Firearms Licensing officer for Leicester Police, being fair but firm. He was a top notch copper as well up to his retirement. A fair rugby player in his time and a very good shot and country sportsman. He will be sorely missed by all.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My neighbour and friend John Toon, ex police officer, ex Firearms Licnesing officer, Leicestershire Police, dropped dead this morning at home.  He was renoun for his work as Firearms Licensing officer for Leicester Police, being fair but firm. He was a top notch copper as well up to his retirement. A fair rugby player in his time and a very good shot and country sportsman. He will be sorely missed by all.

Sad indeed, perhaps it's the best way if you have to go then it's quick with no loss of dignity in the process.  Just have to celebrate a life well lived.

Met JT a few time's during my time as an RFD .Fair with everthing but did he used to moan if before coming to me he had the misfortune to have go up to the quarry in the village and grovel in the explosive storage blisters and hand count the detonator's during a stock check.

8 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Met JT a few time's during my time as an RFD .Fair with everthing but did he used to moan if before coming to me he had the misfortune to have go up to the quarry in the village and grovel in the explosive storage blisters and hand count the detonator's during a stock check.

Yep thats John. But a more genuine guy you would struggle to meet. Some sensitive people used to say he was rude, but in fact he just said it as it was, no bovine excreta.

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep thats John. But a more genuine guy you would struggle to meet. Some sensitive people used to say he was rude, but in fact he just said it as it was, no bovine excreta.

From your description of your friend John, I can understand your sadness, he sounded like the sort of man that I would have got on well with.........sorry for the loss of your friend.

All the best.

I'm very sad to read this Neville, thank you for telling us.

John was my first FAC interviewing officer who stepped in because waiting times had got so long because of a 5 yearly renewals backlog hitch. It was a pleasure walking the fields with him and he was so 'comfortable' to chat with.

He was a proper gentleman who said exactly what he thought, in a matter of fact and friendly manner. He gave me some very useful guidance at the interview and subsequently corrected some wrong decisions by a trainee FEO (who told me he didn't approve of civvy gun ownership) that would otherwise have seen me about give up in my early shooting days.

I would very much have liked to have gone shooting with him.

Edited by Dave-G

6 hours ago, Modafinale said:

Derbyshire Flo died on 14/05/2020 too, apparently at a golf course not seen it reported on here.

Lee Collison must have been Flo for some on here. Again stern but fair shame as he was ok .

Lee didn't do the job for that long, only had one renewal by him. Geoff Brewster did it for donkeys years before Lee.

JT was a good man and always had a tale to tell. He had been beating for me for a couple of seasons and will be sorely missed. Haven't been able to tell my kids yet as I know they will be upset as he was one of their favourites in the gang. R.I.P