BBC again.

sam triple

Heard earlier last week the beeb want to save £125 m by axing staff ( some of which probably deserve it ) but on the other hand I’ve just read they want to spend £100 m on increasing diversity, I’m at a loss trying to work out what they hope to achieve apart from recruiting another load of leftie anarchists of course 

12 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Heard earlier last week the beeb want to save £125 m by axing staff ( some of which probably deserve it ) but on the other hand I’ve just read they want to spend £100 m on increasing diversity, I’m at a loss trying to work out what they hope to achieve apart from recruiting another load of leftie anarchists of course 

Hello, good post Sam, don't forget all the millions £s paid to the so called stars of entertainment 

birds of a feather flock together      so more of the same junk     nout worth watching    news negative  three stories     everyone is wrong  and analysed to death      soaps same **** storyline    no decent factual documentaries       unless happy times nothing dies on camera ever     everything good in the vegetarian world     meat is killed by nasty men and not nature     as nature is /does      and so are vegetables when removed from the soil are killed  but that's ok     in the wild everything dies to feed something bigger         no decent films     car crash tv reality programs   why pay for this junk     when other channels are free and factual  covering world incidents positive or negative  good films new and old        why should the bbc try to justify a licence fee  as nout worth watching    if we dont watch this junk  why pay a licence fee     

5 hours ago, Saltings said:

birds of a feather flock together      so more of the same junk     nout worth watching    news negative  three stories     everyone is wrong  and analysed to death      soaps same **** storyline    no decent factual documentaries       unless happy times nothing dies on camera ever     everything good in the vegetarian world     meat is killed by nasty men and not nature     as nature is /does      and so are vegetables when removed from the soil are killed  but that's ok     in the wild everything dies to feed something bigger         no decent films     car crash tv reality programs   why pay for this junk     when other channels are free and factual  covering world incidents positive or negative  good films new and old        why should the bbc try to justify a licence fee  as nout worth watching    if we dont watch this junk  why pay a licence fee     

That sums it up quite nicely.

If the BBC had to operate as the rest of the TV world does they would go down the proverbial plug hole quite quickly.

12 hours ago, sam triple said:

Agreed. I just read the article about this and have decided to pull the plug on the BBC. 

I thought Boris was all for scrapping the licence fee? With how society is going it doesn't have long left anyway because the amount of people that cannot negotiate a streaming service are getting less and less. I think the only thing I used BBC for regularly was to watch Ulster Rugby playing and now they sold that off to premier sports or whatever it is so i just don't really watch BBC now

48 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Follow this link to officially opt out of funding the BBC. Very simple process.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/about.app

Be careful going down this path.  By all accounts, they simply don't believe you and have you on record as not requiring a TV licence.

Simply cancelling your direct debit is sufficient.  You will get increasingly incredulous letters, but I've been ignoring these for 2 years now.  Allegedly an 'inspector' knocked on my door once, but didn't push the doorbell button so I failed to answer the door.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Be careful going down this path.  By all accounts, they simply don't believe you and have you on record as not requiring a TV licence.

Simply cancelling your direct debit is sufficient.  You will get increasingly incredulous letters, but I've been ignoring these for 2 years now.  Allegedly an 'inspector' knocked on my door once, but didn't push the doorbell button so I failed to answer the door.

I really enjoy the letters. They can actually be quite threatening.

I wonder how much the letters cost to send? Banks used to charge £15 to send you a letter...

The amount of letters I’ve received would cover a couple of years licence surely 

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

They give you a ref number to prove that you have opted out on the stated basis that you have no need for a licence. Of course, they might try to check - but they would have to have good reason to doubt your statement. They will probably contact you again in two years anyway.

But if you simply cancel your direct debit, they almost certainly will start writing to you straight away - which can be amusing. Of course, you don't have to answer any of their correspondence, no matter how threatening. If they turn up on your doorstep, you don't have to open the door. If you do speak, don't confirm your name, or say anything other than:  "Please leave immediately".  They have no right of access to private property (unless they have a warrant - which would be incredibly unlikely).   

7 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I thought Boris was all for scrapping the licence fee? 

Ah, but that was before the BBC became a mouth piece of the government over Covid-19, towing the line and echoing the gov narrative by pumping out the fear factor, and not once questioning the rationale behind the lockdown.

I reckon they've bought themselve a stay of execution for the moment though this.

2 hours ago, stagboy said:

- but they would have to have good reason to doubt your statement.

I can't comment as I haven't actually done so, but everything I've read suggests the frequency of the letters and inspections only increases once you tell them you don't require a licence, compared to simply stopping paying them.

I actually cancelled my DD for address A, then moved to address B and never bothered with a licence at B.  Get a letter about once a month.

I've heard it suggested that the senior management at the BBC simply can't comprehend the fact one could possibly not want their 'product' and thus the default assumption is suspected guilty until proven innocent.

2 hours ago, stagboy said:

If they turn up on your doorstep, you don't have to open the door. If you do speak, don't confirm your name, or say anything other than:  "Please leave immediately".  They have no right of access to private property (unless they have a warrant - which would be incredibly unlikely).   

Indeed.

And it bares repeating, because people seemingly struggle with this....it's the ACT of watching or recording live TV as it's broadcast, that requires a licence, not merely owning a TV itself.  Even says so on the TVL website.

Also, a recent amendment requires you to have licence if you use Iplayer at all, but not any other streaming/catchup service.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

i cancelled the tv licence via DD stop in 2012. I won't go into detail as to the resulting hassle...but enough to say that if you know what the rules are, the carp that you will ultimately get from 'Auntie Beeb' via TV Licencing aka Capita Business Services,  AND you're prepared to put up  With the toothless threats (which are actually very amusing) then you're good to go!  Please google tvlicenceresistance.info.  Their forum is a mine of information.

BBC are history...and they know it....but they keep managing to come up with another reason / excuse to avoid the gallows for another few months!  Even Nuremburg got them in the end!

18 hours ago, southeastpete said:

I really enjoy the letters. They can actually be quite threatening.

I am surprised they haven't been sued for harassment. Those letters are quite horrid and they alone are enough to keep me from paying.

12 hours ago, 39TDS said:

I am surprised they haven't been sued for harassment. Those letters are quite horrid and they alone are enough to keep me from paying.

I agree, any other company would. But because they do the government's bidding, they seem to get a free pass to bully, harass and intimidate many people in to buying a TV licence they don't even need. It's far from a national treasure, I'd say it's a national disgrace!

wish they would get rid of that bloody Naga Monchetty thing............

do like Rita chackrabarti tho...she is very professional...several years ago they got rid of a very very good anchorman  he was a black guy....i think he ended up on Al jeezera...