Stickleback II

fatchap

Just finished a Stickleback II and I'm quite pleased with it. My notching jig did not let me down this time. Last time it all went a bit belly up but this one turned out pretty damn fine.

Redesigned finger guard with a finger groove gives it good grip in your hand and the notches grip your thumb.

The first Sticklback II I made was bit chunky in the handle department, so I have had a rethink and totally reshaped the handle, thinned out the tang so it looks a bit more slimmer.

Silver swirl kyronite scales and cherry G10 liners.

Just waiting on confirmation on sheath colour, was originally black but I'm leaning toward ox blood, will have to wait to see what its new owner wants.

20200621-113546.jpg

20200621-113508.jpg

22 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Those liners fascinate me......do you start with a thicker piece then take it down to accommodate the scales or is it 2 scales and one ,"piece by the blade" ( excuse the technical jargon 😂)?

4 pieces of G10 liner. 2 either side of the tang and two placed on the end of the scale, and glued and sandwiched between the back of the finger guard, pigment your epoxy in this case red and it will cover the joins making it look like one red liner all round on each side. 

Edited by fatchap

30 minutes ago, fatchap said:

4 pieces of G10 liner. 2 either side of the tang and two placed on the end of the scale, and glued and sandwiched between the back of the finger guard, pigment your epoxy in this case red and it will cover the joins making it look like one red liner all round on each side. 

👍

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Looks very nice,love contrast of liners to handle.

The finger guard looks a little thick to me in the pictures on a small blade. Love the notching for thumb grip.

finger guard does look a bit big ....proberly cause the blade is small....you will be able to put some force behind it without fear of your hand slipping.....ive had experience of a slipping hand on a small finger gaurd...........18 stiches and claret everywhere...............i was cutting brotches for a thatcher......

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Looks very nice,love contrast of liners to handle.

The finger guard looks a little thick to me in the pictures on a small blade. Love the notching for thumb grip.

I played about quite a bit with the finger guard, The original Stickleback II had a chunkier handle/tang, keeping the blade the same but changing the tang including the pin holes and holes for the epoxy to bite made it blade heavy, obviously can't put it back so made the finger guard slightly bigger as balance, but in my opinion and I have hands like a bunch of bananas the finger guard and its size makes for a very comfortable hold, there is a recess in it where your index finger sits nicely behind. I put quite a bit of thought into it and do agree its slightly larger than the brass ones I make but brass is heavier than Ally so obviously if there is a balance issue then you have to make the finger guard bigger. But it does the job between the finger guard and the thumb grip, even with wet hands you still have a reliable grip on the knife with no risk of opening up an artery.

But as always criticism is always appreciated. Only way you learn and improve.:good:

Edited by fatchap