308 or....

Benthejockey

I chopped in my 308 today to finance a new gun. I was going to stick a 141 variation in but then I thought I might try something different. So I'm open to ideas, opinions and experiences of calibres up to and around 308. My uncle is extolling the virtues of the 270 and I've seen a few 25-06 rifles at the right sort of money. The only stipulation really is there must be factory ammo offerings. 

27 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What are you going to use it for? 

Out to 300 ish yards I'm sure they're all much alike ... 

Scaring deer and foxes, occasionally making them fall over and I don't mean by hiding in the bushes and tripping them over with it 😂 

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

25-06 Ben will do anythng you need to do in this country.  Second choice would be the 6.5 x 55 Swede a fantastic cartridge.  If you planned a trip for driven stuff on the Continet, the 6.5 would handle it but my choice would be the 30-06.      

I've always got the 243 for the really big stuff Nev 😉

2 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Scaring deer and foxes, occasionally making them fall over and I don't mean by hiding in the bushes and tripping them over with it 😂 

7mm-08? 

Necked down 308, probably do it all. 

They all work! 
You wouldn’t want any of them through your ribs. 
No modern  CF rifles are ‘lobbers’, whatever anybody tells you.  
Ammo availability is better for some calibres.  
You need a one for one even to replace with the same calibre.
No deer is ever going to know the difference.

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, London Best said:

They all work! 
You wouldn’t want any of them through your ribs. 
No modern  CF rifles are ‘lobbers’, whatever anybody tells you.  
Ammo availability is better for some calibres.  
You need a one for one even to replace with the same calibre.
No deer is ever going to know the difference.

Despite my assertions to the otherwise I'm not really a sniper. I'd struggle to find somewhere on my permissions to shoot more than about 300 yds and that to me is a bloody long way away. I'm drawn to the 25-06 for no particular reason. I won't do the variation till the weekend probably so there's plenty of time for the what's heavier a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks argument to roll on 😂

Im hankering after a 6.5 Creedmoor at the moment , but it only really becomes special after 3-400 yards, otherwise .243 does pretty much the same job.

It really depends on what range you want to shoot at, like others have said, up to 300 yards theyre all a bit much of a muchness 😏
.308 gives you a massive ammo choice, and decent barrel life.

21 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Why shoot a necked down 308 vermin rifle.  The 25-06 is a proper calibre not a mickey mouse calibre. 

7-08 is mentioned and is a superb cartridge for the UK but you may find difficulty in finding factory ammo.  At least the guy who introduced it as a wildcat chose a sensible sized bullet.

Anybody guessed yet that I hate 243Winchesters other than for killing coyotes and foxes which it was originally designed for as a wildcat.

Edited by Walker570

7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

How about old school, 30-30 or 45-70, out to 150 are fine but a bit more skill required after that.

Even better is the 7-30 Waters based on a 30-30 case. I have a barrel for my T/C Encore and it has done the job on many occasions.  Perfect roe caliber.

Deer and Fox up to 300 yards to compliment a 243 using only factory ammo. 

Well something from 243 to about 300 Win Mag. They all do the job very well, I’d find out what ammo is available local, then just buy what you fancy. 

The simple choice is 308 the fun have something different choice is well up to you. 

7 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Deer and Fox up to 300 yards to compliment a 243 using only factory ammo. 

Well something from 243 to about 300 Win Mag. They all do the job very well, I’d find out what ammo is available local, then just buy what you fancy. 

The simple choice is 308 the fun have something different choice is well up to you. 

:good:

I can't think of a reason to move from .308, which is why I've stuck with it. 

However, if I did then I would be necking the cartridge up rather than down. Have a look at the .358 Winchester. I can't help thinking at the ranges I shoot, throwing a larger, heavier projectile at moderate velocities would be better. It can send 180gn at 2700fps and 250gn at 2200fps. 

1 hour ago, theshootist said:

I can't think of a reason to move from .308, which is why I've stuck with it. 

However, if I did then I would be necking the cartridge up rather than down. Have a look at the .358 Winchester. I can't help thinking at the ranges I shoot, throwing a larger, heavier projectile at moderate velocities would be better. It can send 180gn at 2700fps and 250gn at 2200fps. 

What’s the point when.308 handles 180 grain very well?

When I came to a similar decision, my head said .308 and my heart said 7mm08. I went with my heart. No regrets. In reality, I don't think there is much to differentiate the two in the real world, apart from maybe the extreme ends of each loads in the two calibres. These are all toys and all the calibres mentioned will do the job, so get what you want. Life is too short!