Jazz

treetree

A strange thing has happened recently; I've really started to enjoy listening to jazz.

Its come from nowhere, other than flicking through the radio stations in the car when driving, and finding myself stopping at the jazz station.

If there are any jazz aficionados there, who should I be listening to? 

Thanks (and please, no Fast Show quotes!)

Jazz is such a wide and diverse genre of music and you could ask the question of 100 different jazz fans and get 300 opinions.

Is there anybody or any particular style in you are enjoying?

Other than Jazz FM, Jamie Cullum's jazz show on Radio 2 is good as he introduces such a wide  range of styles and artists, likewise with Clare Teal on Radio 2 as well.

Art Tatum, most certainly one of the finest improvisation Jazz pianists ever. In my humble opinion!

I think it was Horowitz who said "if he takes up classical piano we are all doomed" or words to that effect.

Plenty of his stuff on youtube, it is a personal taste and there are several Genres of Jazz, take what your ear fancies.

One of my favourite little known performers is 'James Booker' who was a rhythm and blues pianist with improvised jazz. Here is a link to his rendition of 'Tico Tico' he was an astounding pianist and  makes the piano sound like guitar strings. Also a very fascinating character.

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll listen to the radio shows recommended and see where that takes me.

One that really caught my attention the other day (just happened to turn onto it by chance in the car) was Quentin Collins Sextet " Road Warrior"

11 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Art Tatum, most certainly one of the finest improvisation Jazz pianists ever.

I think it was Horowitz who said "if he takes up classical piano we are all doomed" or words to that effect.

Plenty of his stuff on youtube, it is a personal taste and there are several Genres of Jazz, take what your ear fancies.

One of my favourite little known performers is 'James Booker' who was a rhythm and blues pianist with improvised jazz. Here is a link to his rendition of 'Tico Tico' he was an astounding pianist and  makes the piano sound like guitar strings. Also a very fascinating character.

Now that's good. How on earth do they keep that pace up, especially the drummer.

4 minutes ago, treetree said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll listen to the radio shows recommended and see where that takes me.

One that really caught my attention the other day (just happened to turn onto it by chance in the car) was Quentin Collins Sextet " Road Warrior"

Now that's good. How on earth do they keep that pace up, especially the drummer.

Drummers in a band set the tempo for the other instruments. Booker was such a 'virtuoso' pianist that very few drummers would partner with him as they found it extremely difficult to keep up with him. He was primarily a solo performer.

Just checked out Quentin Collins Sextet " Road Warrior". Very nice, it takes years and years of dedication and numbing practice to play at that level.

Have a listen to the 'post modern jukebox' on Tubeyou, plenty of modern jazz renditions. If I may I will post up just one other and happy listening whatever you ear!

John Colltrane is great, though there are different styles over his playing life

Chett Baker, with 'Kind of Blue' written by Elvis Costello

There's a 1958 film 'I Want To Live' with a very good jazz soundtrack someone introduced me to years ago

A friend took me to see Peter King (very good UK sax player) in a pub in Barnes 4 or 5 years ago, on a Saturday night; there were 6 in the audience

In the 80s I saw Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers at Ronnie Scotts, Dizzy Gilespie was there!

There's, sadly, not much of a paying audience for it

Edited by kevin55
addition

14 hours ago, treetree said:

A strange thing has happened recently; I've really started to enjoy listening to jazz.

Its come from nowhere, other than flicking through the radio stations in the car when driving, and finding myself stopping at the jazz station.

If there are any jazz aficionados there, who should I be listening to? 

Thanks (and please, no Fast Show quotes!)

Good God, the effects of lock down and social distancing shown it’s worst form 😄

Edited by yates

48 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, don't know about jazz but my son of 45 has converted to radio 4 

I was there at 35, partly because the drivel on almost every other channel, but also The Today programme, and PM ( when Eddie Mair did it) were superb.

Only Womens' Hour has me wanting to punch out the radio, with the presenters' incessant need to find sexism in EVERYTHING. Womens' achievements can't be celebrated for what they are,  but rather has to be set against a backdrop of patriarchal oppression.

41 minutes ago, treetree said:

Only Womens' Hour has me wanting to punch out the radio, with the presenters' incessant need to find sexism in EVERYTHING. Womens' achievements can't be celebrated for what they are,  but rather has to be set against a backdrop of patriarchal oppression.

What do you expect - its a BBC program

58 minutes ago, treetree said:

I was there at 35, partly because the drivel on almost every other channel, but also The Today programme, and PM ( when Eddie Mair did it) were superb.

Hello, thanks to reply, can agree on woman's hour that I never listen now, cheers

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, don't know about jazz but my son of 45 has converted to radio 4 

Embarrassingly or not, I started listening to radio 4 at about 9 years old, mostly for the comedy. And I listen to the archers though it’s become more of a challenge in recent years with the introduction of a pair of confirmed batchelors; why virtually every scene has to be accompanied with a sound effect like a rolling pin being slowly withdrawn from very thick custard.

Anyway, jazz. I’ve tried, really I have. A friend made me buy “a kind of blue” but I didn’t get it at all. An hour of waiting for them to finish tuning up, then the cd finished.