Drop in POI + increased group size

krazy_horse

Hi All,

Set-up is FAC Rapid Mk2 .22 @ 28 ft/lbs - Bisley Mags - Weihrauch mod - Bushnell Legend 5-15x40mm

Just noticed something strange last time i was up the farm target practice - Shots were all low at 30 yards and grouping was off a little (usually sub 15mm) now about 30mm.

Now I haven't used the gun for a while, however when I tested it a few weeks back it was shooting spot on.  Nothing (from what I can think) has changed so a little confused why this has happened all of a sudden.  Also when I have gone to adjust the elevation, I'm now maxed-out and won't go any higher - this makes me think the scope has taken a knock, but would that explain the increase in group size - probably not?  

To try and figure out what has gone wrong, my plan is thus:

1. Re-fill the bottle
  2. Shoot a group
  3. Take off silencer
  4. Shoot a group
  5. Re-attach silencer
  6. Shoot a group
  7. Remove + re-seat scope
  8. Shoot group

Obviously if the one of the items resolves the issue i won't go any further :)

Does this seem a sensible approach - can anyone recommend anything else?  Does the regulator need a service?  Barrel clean? 

I'm going to try and go out one evening this week -depending on the heat- and see what the results look like.

JB

If the scope is maxed out .in one direction .

Thats most likey your issue in terms of group size .your not looking through the centre of the lenses so parrelax error is greater and optical abberations increase .resulting in - you think your  aiming spot on but you may actually be a touch left .

Next shot  you think your bob on but your not your actually aiming a bit high .

Also sounds lile you have a leak .possibly on the pellet probe o ring .and your loosing power to the pellet .If the poi impact slowly drops over time  

Its losing power  

Thanks guys - i'll dig out the Combro and check the power consistency first...  

If the reg does need a service - can you recommend someone to do it for me - i'll be able to get it apart and back together, but all the parts may not be put back in the right order  🤣

Chris whistler would be closest to you at swavesey , if it's 100% the reg the guy with the best reputation would be Kev g in Doncaster 

Rapids unless they've been butchered are so reliable if you have a loss of zero always run them over a chrono first . Join the rapid 7 forum you'll get loads of useful info 

The scope maxing out doesn't sound right I would eliminate that first.

Remove and refit in case it has moved on the rail but it could be internal damage.

Been given quite a few 'head scratchers' to look atover the years that been ok but for the scope going duff.

I hope its not this but here is a short story.

Bought FAC Daystate Midas in pieces. After sorting it out scope was at the side extreme of travel. Turned out to be barrel bent at the narrow bit for mod thread. Bought and fitted new barrel. Gun shot like a dream. Went working away for a week (gun locked in safe). Get home eager to have a go with my 'fixed' gun. ***, now shooting too low to zero and awful groups. Yep - barrel bent again. After much interrogation its turned out my wife had opened the safe, given gun to my 10y kid to shoot a fox that had killed some of our chucks. Gun fell over or dropped. 3rd barrel in a few weeks. Wife now ex.

Back to present day. I just bought a S410 from bloke in pub. After changing 4x scope for a 10x, could not get crosshairs to zero. Off bottom edge. No points for guessing. Barrel bent at mod neck. This time tapped it back and getting good groups at optical center.

That was a long way to say, hope its not a knocked barrel but something to check.

Edited by Trusham
error

Finally got a chance to check the Rapid - turns out the bottle was loose :no:

I ran it over the combro first, it was all over the place - 14, 12, 18, 16 ft/lbs

I think the o-ring had worn a little - re-filled it, change the o-ring and now back at 28 ft/lbs :D and the POI is back at zero where it lives

Thanks for all the suggestions - will bookmark this page for future reference.

On 28/06/2020 at 21:24, Trusham said:

I hope its not this but here is a short story.

After much interrogation its turned out my wife had opened the safe, given gun to my 10y kid to shoot a fox that had killed some of our chucks. Gun fell over or dropped. 3rd barrel in a few weeks. Wife now ex.

WOW! :lookaround:

Edited by krazy_horse

15 minutes ago, krazy_horse said:

Finally got a chance to check the Rapid - turns out the bottle was loose 

I ran it over the combro first, it was all over the place - 14, 12, 18, 16 ft/lbs

I think the o-ring had worn a little - re-filled it, change the o-ring and now back at 28 ft/lbs  and the POI is back at zero where it lives

Thanks for all the suggestions - will bookmark this page for future reference.

WOW! 

Definitely wow. Not a story I'd be able to share.