Frankenstick !

boo

Evening , nowt gone to plan ! Dug some rams horn out , not the best quality , but good enough, boiled & flattened curl out, then proceeded to bulk it up , going well , then the open end , failed ! So kept bulking and the rest was solid , so after 3 days got roughly 13 inch of good horn , should of just cut the **** off and made a solid walker be sensible thing ! Nope decided to use casting resin& **** horn to make up the necessary length for a crook , when poured was orange now gone to look like rams horn , so now roughed out , tomorrow hopefully take it down and shape the top , may leave for a couple of weeks then to fully harden off before finishing...in theory should be able to see all the flaws , worth trying something a bit different....

20200623_191750.jpg

Very impressive.   I like the way ( intentional or not ) that the curve of the handle lines up,with the angled joint. Very smart

i have yet to,attempt the "angled joint"......I had a plan a few months ago for something different involving the "BooJoint" ( for that is now the official,name ) but have not decided what to make the top out of

is mahogany or Oak any good for the top?.....I'm thinking Market Handle style?

2 hours ago, boo said:

Both fine to work with, especially maghonany wear a mask , dust is fine , any cracks in the oak stabilise with superglue, goes off rock hard ! Look forward to your market stick ....

Stupid question BUt.      How do I size the head?  All others I have made are on antler so sizes were already dictated

Piece of wood about 1 1/4  thick , preferably planed , usually for a wood top draw your design out , when happy make a cardboard template , make it about 1/8 inch oversize, transfer image onto the wood in pencil , when happy cut out shape , I usually file & sand into the right shape blank , mark a center line in each plane of the wood , with a file ( I use a power file ) start taking the edges off on the handle , leave the bit that attaches to the shank square at the moment, keep taking the edges off till roughly round, then with 80-120 grit sanding cloth slowly round into your desired shape , next drill and rod to attach to shank, do your joint , keep an eye out for square and not leaning, glue up , when dry , using a rule follow the lines of the shank onto the handle , on top and sides file down to line , when happy start taking the corners off and slowly get a round , watch you dont take the bark off the shank ere, this will also dictate the end result of the top because you will have to blend it in , trying to keep a good line do the inside one first the top line will follow it then , sand & finish to your taste...

Excellent

i have a cunning BUT ultimately stupid/OTT plan

sandwich some mahogany between two bits of ok for the head

shank is Hazel

the Boojoint , hopefully, will be 3 stripes of Aluminium/brass/copper

Ali is off a cable joint connector, brass is from a massive cable gland, copper is from some big busbars!

beng an Electrical,Engineer I build something 'work based' into every stick , even if it's only a brass washer. I do need to,get out more

Tried a couple of laminates look good , I ran the wood through a thicknesses to get the desired look & thickness , wood glue & clamp leave 24 hrs , jobs a good un , then same as , your spacer be interesting look forward to seeing that , have used solid brass turned on the lathe in the past ..

2 hours ago, boo said:

Tried a couple of laminates look good , I ran the wood through a thicknesses to get the desired look & thickness , wood glue & clamp leave 24 hrs , jobs a good un , then same as , your spacer be interesting look forward to seeing that , have used solid brass turned on the lathe in the past ..

Yes I was thinking the lathe would be called into play.  It's still in the "twixt ears planning stage" but I have a plan

i think I may start from the middle and try the brass/Ali/copper BooJoint first