Bird id did I do the right thing?

Old farrier

5 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

you should have shot it before it eats your dog , and then you :yes:.    its a handsome creature alright.

I was going to send it to do mole patrol at ditchman mansion 🤭🤔

Tbh i was lucky to have my camera for the picture never mind a gun to scare it 😂

Edited by Old farrier

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Scandinavia they have been known to attack folk,,,,, mostly when there wearing fur hats,,, think I few folk have been badly injured by them.

can remember reading they are in bowland forest and the packham pack wanted them removed as they were preying on the harriers (nature) they stated that these were released birds but the locals reckoned they’ve been there for years...... love them mates missus had two for years,,,, proper characters 

Gorgeous.  Had one of those on the wrist when I was given a bird of prey experience day for my 40th. 

The warden said to gently press a finger to his feathered chest and sure enough I could feel that the body lies quite a long way beneath the outline. 

7 hours ago, fandango said:

In Scandinavia they have been known to attack folk,,,,, mostly when there wearing fur hats,,, think I few folk have been badly injured by them.

Never heard of Eagle owls attacking people, the Ural or the Great grey are more likely suspects. They have savaged their fair share of people out in the woods foraging etc when defending their young.

/Markus

8 hours ago, Old farrier said:

They’ve all got a place in the countryside and you’ll find the sparrows cheapest to feed 😊👍

I have been feeding the once dwindling local sparrows to the point they have risen to over 40 now with many pairs having second broods and hopefully a third.

I exclude the starlings by making the feeders with no where for them to settle.

From the pic you can't tell if its in good health or not cant see its eyes to see if they got that sparkle the other way is to check its breast bone see how much meat is on it.

Here is the american red tail i found other week this bird looks ok but we found out later after i caught and reunited it with the owner it was on death's door which was the reason

it was at ground level he had to force feed it for 5 days but now its doing ok i am going to see it in the next couple of days he invited me out 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Nice bird rimfire 

im not going to be a hero and catch this one it’s a bit timid and flying and hunting rabbits 

if it’s looking a bit distressed or anything then I’ll get in the local falconer 

It's a lovely looking Eagle Owl at a guess i would say it has escaped the Red Tail in the video was out for about 5 weeks  she is 32 yrs of age can't wait to see her in a few days 

25 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

It's a lovely looking Eagle Owl at a guess i would say it has escaped the Red Tail in the video was out for about 5 weeks  she is 32 yrs of age can't wait to see her in a few days 

I wouldn't have thought a hawk could live to that sort of age.

Were you looking for it or did you just happen upon it?

16 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I wouldn't have thought a hawk could live to that sort of age.

Were you looking for it or did you just happen upon it?

Yes a raptor can live upto that age as it captive bred don't know about in the wild different circumstances i wasn't looking for it i was walking my cocker  and she found it at ground level she is a working dog so she didn't rush in and was told to sit i could tell it was a tame bird by the way it reacted to me walking up to it 

Edited by Rim Fire

1 minute ago, Rim Fire said:

Yes a raptor can live upto that age as it captive bred don't know about in the wild different circumstances i wasn't looking for it i was walking my cocker  and she found it at ground level she is a working dog so she didn't rush in and was told to sit i cpild tell it was a tame bird by the way it reacted to me walking up to it 

Thanks, I do like Red Tails, something about the eyes and the way they look at you.

17 minutes ago, grrclark said:

They are a fantastic looking bird for sure, but as a non native species and an apex predator not somethign that we would wish to see lots of in the wild in our environment.

Agreed. Who couldn't appreciate that bird?

I also like the beauty of Hen harriers, Sparrow hawks and Goshawks but I don't like what they do.

Edited by JDog