Bird id did I do the right thing?

Old farrier

16 hours ago, fandango said:

In Scandinavia they have been known to attack folk,,,,, mostly when there wearing fur hats,,, think I few folk have been badly injured by them.

can remember reading they are in bowland forest and the packham pack wanted them removed as they were preying on the harriers (nature) they stated that these were released birds but the locals reckoned they’ve been there for years...... love them mates missus had two for years,,,, proper characters 

We occasionally have Skuas [bonxies] and they can be very aggressive, I once made the mistake of feeding one when out fishing and it became more and more intimidating , grabbing fish off the line and ignoring me completely ,  interestingly for me at least it was eventually seen off by a gannet [usually the other way around],

sorry off topic 

scotland-great-skuas-450x295.jpg.169e197a74702d35ba9660f5b322ad20.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stunning bird! So is it hunting at yours and returning OF? Is it getting mobbed? Bet there's not many other birds about and any magpies loving it. RSPB shot one that was an escapee that turned up at Minsmere as they thought it might have the bitterns. Think they wanted to shoot some others to as reconned  non native.     NB

36 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Stunning bird! So is it hunting at yours and returning OF? Is it getting mobbed? Bet there's not many other birds about and any magpies loving it. RSPB shot one that was an escapee that turned up at Minsmere as they thought it might have the bitterns. Think they wanted to shoot some others to as reconned  non native.     NB

If so I fear they would be on a sticky wicket as I believe the eagle owl was native far longer and more recently than the wolf the beaver and the bear 

52 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

It’s feeding ok thanks steak today 😗🤭

it’s in a safe secluded place and no need to bother it 

3 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

If so I fear they would be on a sticky wicket as I believe the eagle owl was native far longer and more recently than the wolf the beaver and the bear 

The Minsmere incident was 10yr ago. Caught red handed by DEFRA field workers (remember those). Nowt come of it. The other story was in the papers and poss on TV and social media last year.   NB

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Just raw rump steak 

I had sosiges 😂

Nice to! When i was a kid i had a kestrel that couldn't fly properly. The local vicar was looking after it for me one time and force fed it cooked pork which killed it.I was gutted and really hated him after that. . . . I hope all go well with it. You'l be naming it next.  😉           NB

8 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Nice to! When i was a kid i had a kestrel that couldn't fly properly. The local vicar was looking after it for me one time and force fed it cooked pork which killed it.I was gutted and really hated him after that. . . . I hope all go well with it. You'l be naming it next.  😉           NB

Trevor 😊😊👍