Sign in to follow this  
Mr.C

Which 223

As per the tag it'll be used at Bisley on targets only. Been doing some reading and think a heavy 1:8 twist longish barrel is in order. 

The crunch is Mrs C has offered to buy it for me so I think budget will be £1200-£1500.

Don't mind less as that'd allow me to add some glass as a package. 

Accuracy is paramount. 

Thanks for reading 

Tikka T3, only one I know that a friend shoots. Remington but I can't remember the type. I used that as his spare gun. 

A heavy barrel is necessary for heat dissipation when shooting targets, Fast twist if you want to use heavy bullets. other than that its up to you.

@washerboy

Poss a Remmy 700. Mate has one but I've heard the quality can be hit and miss (pun not intended) 

@Vince Green

Yes I'd like to push it out to 1000yds occasionally just to see if I can so heavy bullets would be necessary. Home loads. 

Have a look at the Mossberg light chassis in .223/5.56 Nato.  Serious target rifle, suitable twist rate for heavy for calibre bullets.   Nice trigger and cheap enough to buy some glass with the remaining cash.  

16 hours ago, Mr.C said:

As per the tag it'll be used at Bisley on targets only.

Just out of interest why .223 then ?

Surely something like a Creedmoor would be a better option , particularly if you are thinking 1000yds ?
Rifle cost is roughly the same, reloading around 50 % more per loaded cartridge.

I have a P14 and a 1200TX both in 7.62 both single shot. Granted a creed would be a better option but I shoot 1000 3 or 4 times a year I fancied a smaller caliber after shooting a mates 223 remmy. I'll add it to my reading though cheers