Any Full Time Employed Pigeon Shooters In The U K ?

marsh man

At one time ( maybe still is ) the Wood Pigeon was classed as the number one pest in agriculture and done many 1000s of pounds worth of damage up and down the country , so I was wondering if there are any full time pigeon shooters left in the U K , a few years ago I was reading in one of the sporting mags where one of the goose guides worked for one of the Pea companies keeping pigeon of the Peas once the wildfowling season finished .

Now that some of these big estates and farms have joined forces as growing groups it would make sense if they had a full time vermin controller, but do they employ one ?

Funny you should mention an employed full time pest controller, some 40 years ago I was asked and offered a position by the estate manager for Lord Lichfield, at the time I was doing weekends and the odd day during the week for the estate, if I could not get there or needed extra help I had a couple of lads I could call on to cover for me, the only problem was the salary they were offering came nowhere near what I was getting as an engineer (toolmaker) so I declined the job offer and carried on shooting the estate part time for 15 years before I gave it up, he got to demanding.

49 minutes ago, old'un said:

Funny you should mention an employed full time pest controller, some 40 years ago I was asked and offered a position by the estate manager for Lord Lichfield, at the time I was doing weekends and the odd day during the week for the estate, if I could not get there or needed extra help I had a couple of lads I could call on to cover for me, the only problem was the salary they were offering came nowhere near what I was getting as an engineer (toolmaker) so I declined the job offer and carried on shooting the estate part time for 15 years before I gave it up, he got to demanding.

I think this day and the wages would be a lot better and the shot pigeons might be a perk , I worked as a jobbing bricklayer on an estate and money wise it was as good as any site work , it came under craft mans rate and because I didn't want one of the cottages to live in they gave me extra on my wages .

I have had cartridges and at one time I looked after a big area of Broccoli and they did offer me fuel money as they were growing up to 800 acres scattered around which involved a lot of running about .

At one time we used to have a full time Warrener , and in these last few years they paid someone three days a week to catch Squirrels , also in the past had a pest controller who caught Moles , Mice in the barns and Wasps and yet I have never known them to employ someone to shoot Pigeons . not that I mind as I am happy to have the freedom to go where and when I like . 

Edited by marsh man