Biodegradable cartridges

Just read in the shooting times about a Spanish co called shooting star in that they have produced a12 gauge cartridge that can be either lead or steel game or clay with a cardboard wad and a biodegradable case 70mm, if this is correct then what a wake up call for the manufacturers over here 

Shooting star are the UK importers they also import RC cartridges.
The cartridges you refer to are made by jocker cartridges using what looks like a fibre tube wad similar to what gamebore invented and owned the patient which has possibly expired.
Think the selling price will be around the £400.00 mark. Which is twice what I want to pay for clay cartridges, but may help basc with its voluntary move away for lead shot and non biodegradable wads for live quarry shooting.

Just bought carts from Claverdon Cartidges near Warwick - I saw the Spanish carts with biodegradable cases along  with fibre wad - was a game load - 32grm.

I also bought a slab of Jocker's new fibre-wad which includes a shot-cup as part of the wad itself, image below.  Available in 12g - 24 and 28grm 7.5s, I'll try them tomorrow and report back...   Price-wise I think it was £215/1000 for the 24gr and £220/1000 for the 28grm 

20200625_174003.jpg

Edited by Cosmicblue

3 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

Just bought carts from Claverdon Cartidges near Warwick - I saw the Spanish carts with biodegradable cases along  with fibre wad - was a game load - 32grm.

I also bought a slab of Jocker's new fibre-wad which includes a shot-cup as part of the wad itself, image below.  Available in 12g - 24 and 28grm 7.5s, I'll try them tomorrow and report back...   Price-wise I think it was £215/1000 for the 24gr and £220/1000 for the 28grm 

20200625_174003.jpg

Thats pretty good. I will give them a try too. 

3 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

20200625_174003.jpg

they look to be lead shot?  Are they doing them in steel shot?

7 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Surely paper cased cartridges are biodegradable?

I've never understood the clamour over paper cased cartridges. At the base of the case there remains a dirty great lump of plastic so they still need to go through recycling or landfill. They won't rot away.

All the disadvantages of a paper hull with no advantage! Oh, and they cost more!

3 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

I've never understood the clamour over paper cased cartridges. At the base of the case there remains a dirty great lump of plastic so they still need to go through recycling or landfill. They won't rot away.

All the disadvantages of a paper hull with no advantage! Oh, and they cost more!

I don’t know what the base wad was at the bottom of the old paper cased cartridges with Eley ‘Kleena’ wads (biodegradable) but I am pretty sure it wasn’t plastic. It was black and fibrous looking, and all that was left after time was the brass head, later steel. And what do you imagine was used before they invented plastic? I dunno either, but prewar cartridges worked just fine.

35 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

And?  Lead shot in them so not compliant with BASC vision of a biodegradable cartridge with non toxic shot.

still waiting to see one of them for around £230.00 per 1000.

mission

biodegradable case
Biodegradable wad
32 to 36gm? Non toxic shot (steel I guess)
£230.00 per 1000.

28 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

And?  Lead shot in them so not compliant with BASC vision of a biodegradable cartridge with non toxic shot.

still waiting to see one of them for around £230.00 per 1000.

mission

biodegradable case
Biodegradable wad
32 to 36gm? Non toxic shot (steel I guess)
£230.00 per 1000.

The link may have been aimed at me.

They contain plastic as all the other paper loads I've handled do.

I remember the old eley cases well and the base was as London Best described. It appeared to be almost spun around the primer and did degrade. I imagine they'd no longer be commercially viable.

WR.

20200626_122259.jpg

20200626_122339.jpg

Gentlemen, before we all get our panties in a twist .

Shooting Star are importing Biowad from Spain BUT apparently it takes about two years for the case to decompose ????

Yesterday the NEWS on all the channels highlighted that the UK is exporting tonnes of plastic to Turkey , where they burn it on open rubbish tips .

May I suggest that BASC and others come out from under their tortoise shells , leave shooting sports alone and fund research into the safe disposal of plastic waste ?

A far greater threat to our environment than lead shot . 

Edited by Salopian

On 25/06/2020 at 17:52, Cosmicblue said:

20200625_174003.jpg

So shot 50 of these in one pocket this morning at Edgehill with 50 of the 26Grm Fiocchi Litespeed in the other pocket using my Blaser F3.  If you have tried the Litespeed jobs then you might have noted that they are quite 'sharp' in the shoulder but very effective - the Jocker Bio Sport 24s  feel the same and crush targets equally well out to very respectable distances,  I shall have more.

Edited by Cosmicblue

On 26/06/2020 at 12:32, White Rabbit said:

The link may have been aimed at me.

They contain plastic as all the other paper loads I've handled do.

I remember the old eley cases well and the base was as London Best described. It appeared to be almost spun around the primer and did degrade. I imagine they'd no longer be commercially viable.

WR.

20200626_122259.jpg

20200626_122339.jpg

I'll be honest that doesn't look like plastic. It look like densely compressed card at the base. I stand to be corrected. I can't find out from any website either way so it might be worth a call to Hull to verify.

1 hour ago, Perazzishot said:

I'll be honest that doesn't look like plastic. It look like densely compressed card at the base. I stand to be corrected. I can't find out from any website either way so it might be worth a call to Hull to verify.

Seeing as it's raining and I'm bored! It's definitely plastic. 

WR.

20200627_163238.jpg

Am I missing something. What is the point of a bi-degradable case if the metal remains. Instead of picking up plastic cases and disposing of them properly, are we supposed to leave these on the floor to degrade over two years - leaving the metal base?