cash payment

armsid

Went into town this morning and decided to buy a bacon roll .Nowallet darn it still had some cash in my pocket.Went into shop ordered roll, asked price and handed over cash.and was toldNO CASH ONLY CARD i told the assistant forget it and realised that cash is no longer king but my point is can they legally refuse cash i bet the card conpanies love it It might be free at mo but what if every transaction however small attracts a fee in the future? also the idea of keeping contact details for thee weeks how safe are your card details

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were there any notices / signs up telling the customers that it was card only?  if there are NO signs, then go back in a few days and order a stack of bacon sarnies and whatever else you fancy.  Then, when it comes to paying for it....Sorry (not!) I ONLY HAVE CASH!  I can't see the problem with handling cash...and neither can Aldi, where I shop 99.9% of the time.  Sometimes I wonder if this a Government / Business conspiracy to eventually eliminate 'cash'...then the PTB can monitor your exact spending against your income....then question you as to where the 'extra' cash came from!  

Over the past three months I have used cash twice. Both for ice creams from ice cream van. Far easier to use card or phone. Can’t see what the problem is. Companies have to pay to deposit cash at Banks so probably cheaper for them as well 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender

Bank of England website says:

You might have heard someone in a shop say: “But it’s legal tender!”. Most people think it means the shop has to accept the payment form. But that’s not the case.  

A shop owner can choose what payment they accept. If you want to pay for a pack of gum with a £50 note, it’s perfectly legal to turn you down. Likewise for all other banknotes, it’s a matter of discretion. If your local corner shop decided to only accept payments in Pokémon cards that would be within their right too. But they’d probably lose customers. 

Legal tender has a narrow technical meaning which has no use in everyday life. It means that if you offer to fully pay off a debt to someone in legal tender, they can’t sue you for failing to repay.

1 hour ago, DoolinDalton said:

Were there any notices / signs up telling the customers that it was card only?  if there are NO signs, then go back in a few days and order a stack of bacon sarnies and whatever else you fancy.  Then, when it comes to paying for it....Sorry (not!) I ONLY HAVE CASH!  I can't see the problem with handling cash...and neither can Aldi, where I shop 99.9% of the time.  Sometimes I wonder if this a Government / Business conspiracy to eventually eliminate 'cash'...then the PTB can monitor your exact spending against your income....then question you as to where the 'extra' cash came from!  

Why intentionally trying to be awkward? 

You lads want to get real! It’s a world wide pandemic... they’re only trying to keep people safe 🤷‍♂️🙄.

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why intentionally trying to be awkward? 

You lads want to get real! It’s a world wide pandemic... they’re only trying to keep people safe 🤷‍♂️🙄.

Then we should all be walking around in Hazmat suits.  The whole situation has been blown out of all proportion. The Government have gone one way but would be damned if the did and damned if they didn't. 

Plastic cards FAIL, machines FAIL but a good old £20 note never does.  My Jaguar X Type went onto 'crawl home mode' a couple of weeks ago and my mechanic checked it and it was a computer glitch , the car was fine.  I blew a fuse on my Mini Cooper back in the sixties and a roll of foil ciggy paper got me home, if I din't have a spare fuse.  Sometimes we rely too much on artsy phartsy hi tech stuff.

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Then we should all be walking around in Hazmat suits.  The whole situation has been blown out of all proportion. The Government have gone one way but would be damned if the did and damned if they didn't. 

Plastic cards FAIL, machines FAIL but a good old £20 note never does.  My Jaguar X Type went onto 'crawl home mode' a couple of weeks ago and my mechanic checked it and it was a computer glitch , the car was fine.  I blew a fuse on my Mini Cooper back in the sixties and a roll of foil ciggy paper got me home, if I din't have a spare fuse.  Sometimes we rely too much on artsy phartsy hi tech stuff.

Quite clearly it does fail when people legitimately refuse to accept it! We will see far more use of tech as a result of this and frankly without it I would not have been in a job through this crisis. Like it or hate it you simply have to get to grips with it.

I was in Iceland a while back actually buying ice, anyway gets to the till and I read the sign at the door asking me to pay via card if appropriate. Nothing about cards only. Well I get to the till and pull out a £20 note, as its been sat there for 2 weeks and the last time I tried putting it in the bank with a few of its mates I had a hour long que, which at the time I'm not prepared to stand in for obvious reasons. Anyway I get my basket of shopping and get to the till, where the guy is busy looking his best to get back to his mates at the chiller (see below). Well he scans the lot and asks for about £15 and I get my wallet out, the guy at the till actually makes a point of looking inside my wallet and pointing out that I have cards there and that he won't take the cash. Oh dear hear we go. I pointed out that your sign does not say you don't accept cash, then I pointed out I can't get to the bank properly so any money in my account is saved for bills so it's cash or you can clean every item in my basket and put it back. Between him and his manager they gave in, but *** the bunch of... Never mind the fact his glove was ripped, no mask, no visor, and 3 of them stood in the storeroom/chiller doorway watching videos on one of theirs mobile phone. I appreciate some people are worried, but I can guarantee never mind covid 19 there was a million other germs in that shop. 

Bright side of it tho, i did get a paper carrier bag free, which was a nice touch 😊

Just now, SpringDon said:

Our fish and chip shop is currently cash only as they think the card machine is riskier! Don’t know whether it doesn’t do contactless.

Also, cash is traceless. I’m always cynical of cash only. If a company’s taking are down they can claim government support. 

10 hours ago, armsid said:

Went into town this morning and decided to buy a bacon roll .Nowallet darn it still had some cash in my pocket.Went into shop ordered roll, asked price and handed over cash.and was toldNO CASH ONLY CARD i told the assistant forget it and realised that cash is no longer king but my point is can they legally refuse cash i bet the card conpanies love it It might be free at mo but what if every transaction however small attracts a fee in the future? also the idea of keeping contact details for thee weeks how safe are your card details

Did you not have your phone for contactless payment? 

1 hour ago, hawkfanz said:

i deliberatly pay cash all the time,,when they start telling me its card only,then i will shop elsewhere.like its been said i think its the uk gov stealth way of finding who spend more than their declared income.

Weeding out tax dodgers you mean. 

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Surely it's to reduce contact between seller and the customer - contactless payment must be the safest way?

I thought that this was screamingly obvious, cash is manky at the best of times, never mind in the middle of a pandemic...

Although I also have had cash in my wallet for months that would be better off spent!

31 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

b4 this outbreak some shops wouldn,t accept card payment for less than £10,now they want card only for a bottle of milk,

I would say (and I mean this in the politest possible way) you need to get with the times, cash is almost certainly eventually going to be dead and there will probably come a time if you want to buy something, you'll have no choice but to use an electronic payment.