cash payment

armsid

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I would say (and I mean this in the politest possible way) you need to get with the times, cash is almost certainly eventually going to be dead and there will probably come a time if you want to buy something, you'll have no choice but to use an electronic payment.

Well I won't be so polite change or die 🦕 dinosaurs who the hell buys a newspaper nowadays. 

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

How are you going to tip your keeper at the end of the day? 
Or pay the beaters/pickers up ? 

Eventually cash 'tips' will die away. Same as in restaurants where its is added to the bill. The keepers 'tip' will be included in the cost of the shoot (as beaters costs are on meh shoots).  

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

Eventually cash 'tips' will die away. Same as in restaurants where its is added to the bill. The keepers 'tip' will be included in the cost of the shoot (as beaters costs are on meh shoots).  

The beaters cost maybe included but there currently paid out in cash 

personally think it’s wrong to be heading to a cashless society at the rate we appear to be doing it especially when the internet banking system is so prone to failure and the banking industry teetering on the brink of collapse 
not to mention the amount of internet fraud 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

The beaters cost maybe included but there currently paid out in cash 

personally think it’s wrong to be heading to a cashless society at the rate we appear to be doing it especially when the internet banking system is so prone to failure and the banking industry teetering on the brink of collapse 
not to mention the amount of internet fraud 

And in the future they will be paid by bank transfer. It might not happen tomorrow but it will. 

Internet banking doesn't fail as often as you think and even if it often doesn't affect contactless card payments. The majority of internet fraud is due to people being stupid. If somebody came up to you in the street and asked you politely to give them £1,000 in cash you obviously wouldn't, but all too often people hand over thousands of pounds via 'the internet' without doing basic checks.  

There is still life in 'cash' but it is diminishing rapidly and at some point in the future (10 years?) will disappear totally.  

40 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I would say (and I mean this in the politest possible way) you need to get with the times, cash is almost certainly eventually going to be dead and there will probably come a time if you want to buy something, you'll have no choice but to use an electronic payment.

ill probably be dead by then so it wont matter

no its a free atm,and i would use my local po but it burnt down along with the other occupants,about 20 months ago and still waiting for it to be rebuilt,and this estate has over 1200 dwellings,lots of them for oap,s but this labour council would rather spend money on their salaries than the people,hence ive never voted for them for years.

On 26/06/2020 at 10:56, hawkfanz said:

i will continue to visit atm to collect my oap pension,every week,and card only shops i will bypass,

You show em mate! Your really sticking it to the man!! 🙄 :lol: 

One day you'll have to come into the future (or present). 

On 26/06/2020 at 10:04, hawkfanz said:

or drug dealers!

It's a pain that they only accept cash. I needed to get a load of cash for my dealer. You can't withdraw cash over the counter at the Bank if you tell them that it is to buy drugs so had to visit a number of ATM machines that were either not working or only limited the amount that you could withdraw. And many only gave out £10 notes so my desk is currently stacked high with notes while I recount. 

Must admit I had misplaced my wallet for the last week, was fairly sure it wasn't far away, as I never really go anywhere anyway ( just found it so all good) 

But I know I really should of cancelled it

Meant to get to bank yest ( until I noticed all shut on sats now!!! )

But was worried about the contactless payment, infact going to phone up for some new cards but request contactless taken off.

Is there really any need for it? Is it so hard to press a button 4 times???

Atleast if I ever lose it ( which isn't often) I don't have to worry about someone using it, chances of the guessing my pins is very small.

The local bacon butty van just opened last week and she gets u to put ur money in a tub of disenfectant n the counter, with the new waterproof notes not a bad way to get round things.

But I've been shopping occasionally this week all with cash, nae bother.

Great living in the sticks where most folk have some common sense

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

But I've been shopping occasionally this week all with cash, nae bother.     Great living in the sticks where most folk have some common sense

Cash allows you to buy things even when the networks are out of action (which might be rare in cities, but still happens from time to time in rural areas).   And out in the sticks the traders are usually capable of calculating change without the aid of an electronic till, and can still carry on business during a power cut.

On 26/06/2020 at 12:12, AVB said:

I agree with this. Personally I dislike forced ‘Tips’ as it is a tax dodge. Restaurants paying staff minimum wage and relying upon cash tips to top that up without and NI, tax etc. If everyone paid tax fairly then we would all pay less.

I don’t have any sources to hand but I would imagine the amount of money lost through contactless fraud, or even internet banking fraud pales to insignificance compared to the amount of cash lost or stolen. 

It’s all about reducing handling of things that could otherwise cause further Covid issues. 

If you haven’t a wallet on you all the time, also worth setting up Applepay or similar on your phone... to be fair, I pay for most things (including buying a new car) on Applepay!

17 hours ago, Mentalmac said:

It’s all about reducing handling of things that could otherwise cause further Covid issues. 

If you haven’t a wallet on you all the time, also worth setting up Applepay or similar on your phone... to be fair, I pay for most things (including buying a new car) on Applepay!

Interesting - I have found Apple pay to be the least reliable of the lot.  Since the start of the lockdown - I have had Apple pay refused twice - no reason given (and nowhere near my credit limit) - terminal just 'declines'.  I thought it was a 'higher value' thing as both times it was a little over £100, but others tell me that's not the case.  No one has been able to give me a definitive answer on what the upper spend limit is for Apple pay - apparently because the limit isn't set by Apple pay - different stores set their own limits.  On both occasions, a 'card in the slot' and PIN worked fine as a fallback.  Normal contactless at £45 limit proves inadequate for things like fuel and fortnightly groceries shop.

I am now reluctant to use Apple pay as it is annoying and frustrating to have a service that you are never quite sure if it will work.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Interesting - I have found Apple pay to be the least reliable of the lot.  Since the start of the lockdown - I have had Apple pay refused twice - no reason given (and nowhere near my credit limit) - terminal just 'declines'.  I thought it was a 'higher value' thing as both times it was a little over £100, but others tell me that's not the case.  No one has been able to give me a definitive answer on what the upper spend limit is for Apple pay - apparently because the limit isn't set by Apple pay - different stores set their own limits.  On both occasions, a 'card in the slot' and PIN worked fine as a fallback.  Normal contactless at £45 limit proves inadequate for things like fuel and fortnightly groceries shop.

I am now reluctant to use Apple pay as it is annoying and frustrating to have a service that you are never quite sure if it will work.

Applepay has no maximum limit as such although each store can impose a limit. I recently used it for a purchase of over £2k. 

16 minutes ago, AVB said:

Applepay has no maximum limit as such although each store can impose a limit. I recently used it for a purchase of over £2k.

Yes, I think that is right, but at the supermarket - which is where mine was declined (on two separate occasions, both for about £120), the cashiers can't tell you the limit - though apparently they get quite a few declined.  I have also heard that it can be different between Mastercard and Visa via Applepay, though how that works I don't know.  I have used it successfully for lower value (sub £100, but over £50) transactions.

33 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes, I think that is right, but at the supermarket - which is where mine was declined (on two separate occasions, both for about £120), the cashiers can't tell you the limit - though apparently they get quite a few declined.  I have also heard that it can be different between Mastercard and Visa via Applepay, though how that works I don't know.  I have used it successfully for lower value (sub £100, but over £50) transactions.

Which supermarket out of interest? 

I was going to start with 

"unbelievable"

but being honest its plainly isn't, scientific proof shows that the virus is contracted by contact, it is also a proven that money is extremely dirty, carrying all sorts of bacteria, the new sort allot cleaner than the older paper type though. 

Any reduction in contact from one person to another will help reduce the risk of contracting what could be the last illness you get. 

I do find it believable that some folk just dont or wont get it, and im not referring to Covid19