Is there a doctor in the house

Farmboy91

I was bitten by something the other night, and it's nothing like any bite I've had before. We was walking round one of the ponds on a perm late evening. Not quite sure how whatever did bite me got there as I was wearing thick socks and laced up boots. I did check my socks and boots after I noticed the bite but couldn't find a culprit.

Anyway, the first picture is what it looks like this morning and the second is Wednesday after it happened.

Any ideas? Don't really want to have to go down the doctors unless I have too.

IMG-20200626-WA0003.jpg.c7bda7b20b26bef906be3d8e1d46a4de.jpg

IMG-20200626-WA0002.jpg

Edited by Farmboy91

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Zapp said:

I've had a horse fly bite in the same place which looked similar.  Draw around the outline of the reddening with a biro and if it spreads its infected and you need to see a doctor.

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

horsefly............DONT LET IT GET INFECTED.............TCP and a plaster over it please until it bursts and drys...

Good advice, take it.:good:

I suffer really nbadly from effects of Horseflies and Mozzies wife found something called an Actipen. It s like a felt tip pen. Smells very Ammonia-y. Fantastic thing, quick shake, dab it on the bite, sorted.   May need a second application later

one pen lives in the car and a second in my shoot bag

i feel,your pain, they are horrid little things

To be honest my biggest concern was that it was a tick bite, I will have a look for one of those though, cheers 👍.

I'm not normally one who attracts the biting kind of insects

2 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I suffer really nbadly from effects of Horseflies and Mozzies wife found something called an Actipen. It s like a felt tip pen. Smells very Ammonia-y. Fantastic thing, quick shake, dab it on the bite, sorted.   May need a second application later

one pen lives in the car and a second in my shoot bag

i feel,your pain, they are horrid little things

I’ve been bitten a few times by horsefly, you never see them or feel them until you start to feel the hot itch, as been said, “They're sneaky little *******!” 

I tend to react very badly to their bite and swell up like balloon, just keep an eye on it for infection.

I've woke myself up scratching it in the night a couple times now, with the cream ok during the day yesterday I hardly noticed it was there.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

I’ve been bitten a few times by horsefly, you never see them or feel them until you start to feel the hot itch, as been said, “They're sneaky little *******!” 

I tend to react very badly to their bite and swell up like balloon, just keep an eye on it for infection.

I will do 👍 got a ring round it now so I'll keep check on it throughout the day.

The best advice for horse fly bites I've used (may have even been from a thread here) is to put a spoon in boiling water for 30 seconds, then firmly press the back of the spoon onto the bite. Hold for as long as you can tolerate, then repeat a few more times. 

This does work, though would need to be done soon after being bitten, and stops the bite from progressing to the need to scratch symptom.

7 minutes ago, treetree said:

The best advice for horse fly bites I've used (may have even been from a thread here) is to put a spoon in boiling water for 30 seconds, then firmly press the back of the spoon onto the bite. Hold for as long as you can tolerate, then repeat a few more times. 

This does work, though would need to be done soon after being bitten, and stops the bite from progressing to the need to scratch symptom.

So as well as the bite you now have third degree burns. :)

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the dreaded horse fly, I use tiger balm and a large waterproof plaster, 

Hello, if you have never tried or heard of tiger balm it was recommended to me for insect bites many years ago on my travels around thailand, there is strong red or mild white, I use the red for the above, it has a pungent smell and you will need to wash hands well after, cheers

As a slight aside to the OT.  Local Clay shoot gets hammered with horse flies,  they have some 25l black painted containers hanging from tripods , containers are coated in some sticky stuff. Horseflies LOVE them, until they land and cannot get off. They seem to be attracted to the moving heat source

i also have one of those Clicker things that you put on the bite, click a few times. It has a Piezo crystal in it and generates a high voltage spark that breaks down the proteins in the 'bite'

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if you have never tried or heard of tiger balm it was recommended to me for insect bites many years ago on my travels around thailand, there is strong red or mild white, I use the red for the above, it has a pungent smell and you will need to wash hands well after, cheers

Forgot about that one, thanks. Son In law gave us some in Cyprus   They live on the side of the great salt lake and it is mozzie heaven. They see me as a walking buffet.  I react so badly I have been hospitalised twice with them!

I've been trying to find the pics from when I got a bad one on my ankle just forward of my Achilles tendon.  I picked it up walking the dogs on a sunny day wearing trainers and no socks.  I didn't realise I had been got until I came home, by which time it was bleeding because of my shoe rubbing it.

At work the next day I was getting stabbing pains in my ankle which soon progressed into my calf.  I did the biro thing in the morning and by lunchtime it was spreading quickly so I went to the doctors for antibiotics.

These halted the spread and it began to heal, but there had already been enough damage to cause the tissue at the centre of the bite to die off.  I didnt realise this until the scab came off and I had a hole I could have put the end of a pencil into.  Its healed now all but for a slight dimple.  I still remember the itching though as it healed, it was enough to drive you loopy.

Dont take any chances if it keeps spreading.

Well apart from DUNKS asking if the OP has made a will, we have the following recommended cures for horsefly bites, scolded with a red hot spoon, a pungent smelling liquid that makes you smell like a skunk, being electrocuted with an high voltage spark and finally the removal of the infected limb, any more recommendations before the OP decides to end it all. :eh: