An opportunity taken.

JDog

Old Boggy just beat me to my preferred title.

Yesterday Mighty Mariner and I met up to have a look at a field of peas being visited by pigeons. He had scouted earlier in the week and identified two lines in so it sounded good. However when we arrived the 'Banger man' was just walking out of the field having restarted a gas banger. Not a good start.

It was 26 degrees when we stood mulling over our options. The two lines were in operation and we felt we ought to give it a go. I chose one side of the field which might just afford me a bit of shade but where the wind would be wrong. MM went to the side of the field and faced the full sun but where the wind was perfect. I managed to find the only Elder bush in the hedge under which I set up a hide and actually I was never bothered by the heat one little bit as the sun stayed behind me for the whole session.

Pigeons entering the field near me didn't decoy very well and I had to take quick chances from behind and some returning high across the field. I could see every bird going into MM's pattern even though he was 400m away. This field has not been shot before but the wily birds still headed for the centre of the field and didn't always offer shooting opportunities but we did manage to shoot 50 between us. Very enjoyable it was too. 

Louth peas 1.jpg

Louth peas 3.jpg

Well I was in Herefordshire yesterday visiting friends and it was bloody hot sat in the shade, 33 degrees, not the type of day I enjoy for pigeon shooting or any other type of shooting for that matter.

Mind you did well to stick it out and shoot 50, birds in that heat, mad dogs and English men!

32 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Well done …

…. those peas look terrible BTW … late drilled, or just a lack of water early on?

The peas were drilled late (ish) but were in fine condition, apart from minor pigeon damage. Elsewhere I recently saw three fields of peas which were drilled last week.

This pea contractor has been told to stagger the harvesting so as not to swamp the factory.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Old Boggy just beat me to my preferred title.

Yesterday Mighty Mariner and I met up to have a look at a field of peas being visited by pigeons. He had scouted earlier in the week and identified two lines in so it sounded good. However when we arrived the 'Banger man' was just walking out of the field having restarted a gas banger. Not a good start.

It was 26 degrees when we stood mulling over our options. The two lines were in operation and we felt we ought to give it a go. I chose one side of the field which might just afford me a bit of shade but where the wind would be wrong. MM went to the side of the field and faced the full sun but where the wind was perfect. I managed to find the only Elder bush in the hedge under which I set up a hide and actually I was never bothered by the heat one little bit as the sun stayed behind me for the whole session.

Pigeons entering the field near me didn't decoy very well and I had to take quick chances from behind and some returning high across the field. I could see every bird going into MM's pattern even though he was 400m away. This field has not been shot before but the wily birds still headed for the centre of the field and didn't always offer shooting opportunities but we did manage to shoot 50 between us. Very enjoyable it was too. 

Louth peas 1.jpg

Louth peas 3.jpg

We had to shoot this field as I had promised the farm manager I would shoot this week, plus I wanted to repay Johhny's invitation from last week. It's one he drives past at least twice a day so he's seen a few pigeons on the roadside edge. Not ideal conditions but at least we had a wind.

There is a lot of pigeons using this field, and there were actually three lines in. It will provide another day, though we might need three guns.

The gas gun made no difference to the pigeons, the worker putting them out even admitted it but we all know it makes farmers feel better to have them out.

Nice report JD, I had a go Wednesday afternoon on some pea stubble trying out a huspower 20 bore pump I shot 54 for 80 shots it was blinking hot. I didn't take the dog because if the heat and I've decided I don't like retrieving my own winged birds.🤪

Edited by muncher

Firstly, I apologise for stealing your thunder JDog regards the chosen title, but it seemed the only one appropriate under such conditions.

Your hide position looks decidedly more shaded than my own and Mighty Mariner and yourself did well to endure the heat as long as you did, so good on you both for that.

I, on the other hand, must be made of less sterner stuff and gave up after just 90 minutes, so I congratulate you on your determination in that searing heat. Well done.

OB