Rabbit shooting invite

Hope I am not going to regret this! Does anyone close to the Norfolk town of Diss fancy some rabbit shooting? On one of my perms(smallholding) we have a serious issue with rabbit numbers "knee deep"is how the owner describes it to me. I have shot over 60 in 3 visits and made no impact to numbers whatsoever.  It is moderated rifle shooting only, in the evenings and when the nights draw in by lamp. There is livestock on the perm.  If you fancy it, let me know.  I will apologise in advance for not getting back to you straight away.

8 minutes ago, snow white said:

Old’un I layed the rules out all was ok for few months then is mates got in to him take us once and as you know that’s not how it stops they have to go again next think you have more body’s walking round than targets 

Yep it can happen, I always have chat with the land owner/farmer and tell him what I am doing and why, I make it clear that the only time they can be on the ground is when they are with me, I also make it clear that the farmer has been told about this arrangement.

I should have said that I did speak to the farmer but they went late of a night on the other side of farm where nobody needed to go of a night.

It only came to light when the farm seen someone he waved to them but they didn’t take any notice he thought it funny so went over to them and asked what they were doing and who gave them permission came out the lad I took was telling anybody to go.

So I was pulled in to farm had a talk with farmer he said that I could carry on but I was that mad that my trust had been broken by someone the I thought was a mate I gave it up

I only seen farmer couple months before this virus he asked me to go back i told will it’s 18 miles from where I live so next week lock down is lifted I will be there but never take anybody again .

2 hours ago, wishy735 said:

I have shot over 60 in 3 visits and made no impact to numbers whatsoever

From experience I'd say you have made quite a big impact. Keep at it and there will soon be a very noticeable difference in numbers.

Yes, keep at them yourself. Initially you'll keep getting good numbers but the birth rate will drop off.

I used to get 20 odd one night a week every week for months but that eventually became less than 20 a month and its now under 20 a year.

a farmer let shooters  on land adjoining mine to have ago on the rabbits they ended up coming over onto my land and pinching my pigeon decoys two bags of twelve i got them back by finding out where they live  put a note in the door so his mrs found it and she brought them back within the hour , i bet she gave him a god talking to 

Ttab that during the day but the world changes when it gets dark the people you took during the day are not going to come back and shoot pigeons In the dark are they.

But the people that you took shoot rabbits get talking to is mates let’s go and get a few rabbits the lad that lets me shoot them won’t mind  if I go the next thing his mate tells somebody else and like I said earlier there are more shooters than rabbits 

2 hours ago, snow white said:

Ttab that during the day but the world changes when it gets dark the people you took during the day are not going to come back and shoot pigeons In the dark are they.

But the people that you took shoot rabbits get talking to is mates let’s go and get a few rabbits the lad that lets me shoot them won’t mind  if I go the next thing his mate tells somebody else and like I said earlier there are more shooters than rabbits 

Ok lets ask you this, would the farmer your talking about let these lads go and shoot some rabbits/pigeons if they knocked on his door?

6 minutes ago, snow white said:

Definitely no he had trouble with some lads before I got introduced to him from a friend of his on a pheasant shoot we got on like a house on fire the rest is history.

In that case why are they going when you have explained the situation to the farmer and them, if the farmer sees people or a vehicle he does not recognise parked in a gateway or field and you are not there, then he will tell them to get of the land.

Don’t forget you have had a chat with the farmer and made him aware of the agreement with those lads, if they then try to come out with a cock and bull story about you saying its ok for them to go without you the farmer will know they are lying

It sounds to me that you have not made it clear to the lads and farmer that if they are not with you they are basically trespassing (armed trespass)

If you read what I said that I had trouble with them not still got trouble the farm seen them and I went round and seen the so called friend he doesn’t go there again.
All this happened about 18 months ago I stick to myself so there can’t be anymore repercussions of last time 

15 minutes ago, snow white said:

If you read what I said that I had trouble with them not still got trouble the farm seen them and I went round and seen the so called friend he doesn’t go there again.
All this happened about 18 months ago I stick to myself so there can’t be anymore repercussions of last time 

Ok sorry if I miss understood you, it’s a shame you have had this experience with those lads, as I said in an earlier post it can happen, I’ve had it happen once in all the time I have been shooting.

I have taken a few people from here and elsewhere to shoot a few pigeons/blacks, but I always make sure the farmer is aware of this temporary arrangement, and should he see them on the land without me being there they are trespassing, I’ve also made it clear to people I take that should they try to go behind my back I would report them for armed trespass, obviously you need to-be on good terms with your farmer and have his full backing for this arrangement to work because he is basically giving you the control of who can go and shoot on his land.

Mossey what the farm says and what they do is a different thing they could go to farm and say you will be along in have hour or something like that then farm says carry on next thing the farm gives you a call saying them lads had a good day and you don’t now nothing about it.

I will stop on my own thank you.