Driving in this heat.

fatchap

Are there any laws pertaining to working ie driving a van with no air con in this weather?

My boss has no problem sitting in his air conditioned office barking his orders down the phone at us drivers siting in the cab with the internal temperature nudging 42 degrees. Not offered us water ice packs or anything, basically get out there and deliver my stuff. In London its particularly bad. I was close to passing out today. 

Had enough by 1.30, turned the van around and drove back to the yard. Subjected to a mandatory ####ing for not completing my work, but I was very close to telling him to poke it up his ****. 

Surely there is something in place for drivers? There is in factories and offices so why not us?

6 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Are there any laws pertaining to working ie driving a van with no air con in this weather?

My boss has no problem sitting in his air conditioned office barking his orders down the phone at us drivers siting in the cab with the internal temperature nudging 42 degrees. Not offered us water ice packs or anything, basically get out there and deliver my stuff. In London its particularly bad. I was close to passing out today. 

Had enough by 1.30, turned the van around and drove back to the yard. Subjected to a mandatory ####ing for not completing my work, but I was very close to telling him to poke it up his ****. 

Surely there is something in place for drivers? There is in factories and offices so why not us?

I’m not sure there’s a maximum heat you can be allowed to work in; if there was then the dairy I used to work at was in breach of it. 

Wind down a window or quit. I used to be baker, I’ve stood in front of more hot ovens that any woman. Hot summers and divvy management help my decision to quit. Now I own a business and bark orders at no one. I ask nicely and give people some slack. Never underestimate yourself, you are always worth more to someone else. Take the step.

10 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Why tad warm in the summer there?

Cheese making produces whey, as you’ll know, and that was evaporated down into thick syrupy concentrate. Hot enough in there you may think, but this was then dries into why powder for baby food and companies Farleys, Cow&Gate and Mars for their bars. 🙂

The heat in either of these places was incredible even in winter, but in summer? UNBELIEVABLE!!

24 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Not that I'm aware of. 

Working as an agency driver in a hire van at Parcel Force I was queuing to unload and the depot boss walked past the front of my van. He glanced down and then came to my window and told me there was water leaking out. I told him it was from the air con. He nodded, started to walk away and then, laughing, came back and asked who I was sleeping with to have air con in my van.

I've done work for most of the big parcel companies and none of them have fleet vehicles with air con.

I bought me own water, big bottle of evian. By 12 noon you could have made a piping hot cup of coffee with it. Yes bit of an exaggeration, but if we had cool packs it wouldn't be so bad, ask him to pay for it, after all you are carrying out work for him and I believe he is responsible for duty of care for his employees and he looks at you like you have asked for his bank details. One of the workshop boys asked if he could order fans for the vans, our boss said that was a great idea make sure you get the money from the drivers before you order them. Tight as a gnats chaff.

36 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

Wind down a window or quit. I used to be baker, I’ve stood in front of more hot ovens that any woman. Hot summers and divvy management help my decision to quit. Now I own a business and bark orders at no one. I ask nicely and give people some slack. Never underestimate yourself, you are always worth more to someone else. Take the step.

Is the correct answer, jump to something else.

34 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I bought me own water, big bottle of evian. By 12 noon you could have made a piping hot cup of coffee with it. Yes bit of an exaggeration, but if we had cool packs it wouldn't be so bad, ask him to pay for it, after all you are carrying out work for him and I believe he is responsible for duty of care for his employees and he looks at you like you have asked for his bank details. One of the workshop boys asked if he could order fans for the vans, our boss said that was a great idea make sure you get the money from the drivers before you order them. Tight as a gnats chaff.

As others have said, I’d jump ship ship if possible, although I understand how hard that can be, and it’s possibly an ok job otherwise? 
Dependant on what we were doing, we had to wear full PPE while working in those conditions, and hairnets and hats at all times ( as well as overalls and boots obviously ) with no drinks or refreshments at any time except official breaks ( if which there were many on nights admittedly ) as it was a BS 5750 designated area.

Edited by Scully
Spelling

No laws for heat if working outside  or driving only for indoors. I've been lumping washing machines up to fourth floor flats today and was at least five degrees hotter in the stairwells i was dripping wet. I've got three lorry loads to shops on Monday and think i'm in a hire lorry with ac 🥶.

Edited by fse10

I look after my team, as best as i can under these conditions, i offered to buy them all a 3/4 ltr flask for cool drinks, squash, sort out air-con whenever i can. 

Why be a bully boss, there's more of them than me, its always easier to be nice, and more productive.  

I have worked for quite a few companies, even had my own business couriering, but in all my working life I have never worked for someone as ruthless as this boss. 

As a business man you can't fault him, brought the business up from nothing to the multi million pound concern it is today. But as a manager he is a dinosaur. Talking to to staff like he does you could just get away with in the 70's/80's.

A few months ago before Lockdown, he was not happy with the way I had loaded my van. he commented that loading a van is not rocket science and doesn't expect me to be brains of Britain after all your JUST A DRIVER. he wasn't best pleased when I told him that I have City and Guilds in Precision Engineering, Grinding, tool making and CNC setter. His reply was what has that got to do with delivering compressors? Not much use to you here is it?

Like I say not a great with people skills.

2 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I have worked for quite a few companies, even had my own business couriering, but in all my working life I have never worked for someone as ruthless as this boss. 

As a business man you can't fault him, brought the business up from nothing to the multi million pound concern it is today. But as a manager he is a dinosaur. Talking to to staff like he does you could just get away with in the 70's/80's.

A few months ago before Lockdown, he was not happy with the way I had loaded my van. he commented that loading a van is not rocket science and doesn't expect me to be brains of Britain after all your JUST A DRIVER. he wasn't best pleased when I told him that I have City and Guilds in Precision Engineering, Grinding, tool making and CNC setter. His reply was what has that got to do with delivering compressors? Not much use to you here is it?

Like I say not a great with people skills.

He does sound draconian, sounds like he needs to get a manager in to manage the staff, as he clearly cant, it could well mean that his business improves even more. 

We have that kind of mentality from some of the lads on the shop floor about some of our crew, (cleaners) then you start to tell them what qualifications some of them have. 

We had a BSc Biology, law degree students, retired teachers, Ex service, we had one chap ex engineer CNC qualified, they needed his knowledge and of course he was more than qualified, but as the chap had been walked over, blatantly ignored to the point of extreme rudeness that when they asked him he told them to multiply. 

never judge a book by its cover they say. 

He does manage the staff via fear. Drivers to him are two a penny, he will sack a driver on the spot with no hesitation. The only time he is worried about a driver is when he rings in sick, not at all worried about the drivers health just how the **** he is going to cover his round.

4 hours ago, fatchap said:

I had a couple of days in a hire truck at work , no prop tunnel so your sitting on top of the hot engine ,and the air con was blowing red hot  , my supervisor thought that it was hysterical. Each time I got close to fainting or throwing up , I just stepped out of the truck for a minute until it passed . Remember that if you have any kind of heat related  incident while you're driving , that as the driver ,  you're responsible. It's cack , but it's the way that it is 👍.

4 hours ago, fatchap said:

Look on the bright side this virus thrives in cold environments with a bit of luck by your boss sitting on his ring in his air conditioned office he could be dead soon. 

Edited by blackbird