Another one! Crows and pigeons over standing Barley

So I have been seeing a number of mixed corvids building up on a particularly stripey field (explained in the vid!) and went on a mission to find the farmer called in at one farm I thought it could be and scored a miss as it wasn't their land but they did take my number in case they needed another shooter at any time so who knows. More importantly they pointed me in the direction of the farm that owned the field in question.....a couple minutes drive saw and a door knock later saw me chatting to a very approachable chap and long story short he gave me permission to get out at the corvids and also near enough free range on all vermin over the 400 acres he farms there! Result! so the pressure was on to show I would be helpful to him and I got to work at the earliest opportunity I had, an afternoon a couple days later. Very hard work as lugged the gear to an ideal (I thought) site before having to dismantle everything and move to what turned out to be the actual ideal site 🤣 a good if a little trick afternoon shooting ensued and 76 birds down the farmer was happy and I secured the land as permission! Even managed a video to help any bored members out on here. Have a watch, plenty more now on my channel and many to come so subscribe if you enjoy!

18 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

I have never drilled a field before but with all the modern technology etc how did the tractor driver get a result like this with several missed passes?

I’m no agricultural mechanic so in simplest terms I understand- it was a new drill first time he’d used it and there’s a flap on it that became dislodged blocking off the chutes the seed goes down into the ground through with the farmer unaware until the crop actually came up. But the ground was too wet after rain to get back out onto and quickly put some seed in the missed rows so just had to leave them empty this year. Or something along that line 😂

Excellent video, great to watch, thanks for posting.

Good for you to go looking and door knocking, its surprising how often it works.
Its always best when there are birds on the field and the farmer knows they are there.

The old adage "reconnaissance is never wasted" , has been proved to all of us at some time.
Even when I shot familiar ground, it was always worth spending at least 15 - 30 minutes looking at the field.
Once you have "learned" your new land, it will become easier.

If the farmer isn't "obliging" enough to leave some clear ground for the birds, they will just land on the standing crop and eventually flatten large areas, so they can get at the ears.