Wigtown

Sundodger

You need to speak to the local Fowler’s. Try and get in touch with William Wykes he may be able to help as he is from Wigtown. I don’t have his contact numbers but try his agricultural contracting business. If you are interested in shooting Caerlaverock let me know as I can help there although permits are issued by SNH.

9 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Anyone shoot Wigtown bay. Just after some pointers, been on Google earth, and found crook of bradnoch and the bird hide and martyer Stake. But where can you shoot? 

Stay safe guys and Thankyou 

Look at the permit scheme for the area issued by the local council, place isn't hard to shoot it's all mapped out on the permit . 

Plenty of places to stay as well , book early its busy after Christmas, permit isn't expensive . 

It's the bladnoch river you are looking at on google maps, on the west side of the river that's all free shooting , wildfowling Scotland rules apply . 

Thanks Shakin.

will check the permit out.

10 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

You need to speak to the local Fowler’s. Try and get in touch with William Wykes he may be able to help as he is from Wigtown. I don’t have his contact numbers but try his agricultural contracting business. If you are interested in shooting Caerlaverock let me know as I can help there although permits are issued by SNH.

Thanks Dave

whats the score at caerlaveroc. I thought it was a bird sanctuary?

1 hour ago, Sundodger said:

Thanks Shakin.

will check the permit out.

Thanks Dave

whats the score at caerlaveroc. I thought it was a bird sanctuary?

Wildfowling is permitted  October Through  February. Permits are available free of charge from SNH just look at the website for Caerlaverock Wildfowling. The Reserve is rarely mobbed in the sense there is plenty of space for everyone and permits are limited in number. If the geese are in and using the Merse it is as good shooting as anywhere but frequently the geese just head up the Nith.

Over the last few seasons we have worked with SNH to supplement the Wardening and hence the standards of behaviour are high as we won’t tolerate anything less. We won’t have high shooting and shots are max 50 yds. I have been a wildfowl monitor for the last three seasons and submit weekly reports to SNH so hear everything that happens and am out myself a few days a week.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Wildfowling is permitted  October Through  February. Permits are available free of charge from SNH just look at the website for Caerlaverock Wildfowling. The Reserve is rarely mobbed in the sense there is plenty of space for everyone and permits are limited in number. If the geese are in and using the Merse it is as good shooting as anywhere but frequently the geese just head up the Nith.

Over the last few seasons we have worked with SNH to supplement the Wardening and hence the standards of behaviour are high as we won’t tolerate anything less. We won’t have high shooting and shots are max 50 yds. I have been a wildfowl monitor for the last three seasons and submit weekly reports to SNH so hear everything that happens and am out myself a few days a week.

Hope this helps.

thanks Dave 

i will bear this in mind for the coming season.

steve

Used to shoot caerlaverock many moons ago...they used to have a warden called willy (I think)..hell that man was on the ball...met us most mornings as we came off....he mentioned a couple of things that occurred in the half light of a morning flight...we were convinced he was watching us through night sights...talk about paranoia :lol::lol::lol:.....atb...misser