Fallkniven U1 Folder

wymberley

I gave my last half decent EDC - an Otter - to my son replacing it with something cheap which I now regret. Having just sharpened it beforehand I used it yesterday and it was blunted in seconds. I feel a reward for staying locked down for several months coming on in the shape of a gentlemans' pocket knife which qualifies as a UK EDC and just as important actually looks the part and not like some ramboesque slit your throat jobby which are being currently touted as a "gentlemans' pocket knife".

Comments welcome along with any other suggestions bearing in mind my last point.

Many thanks.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So was the cheap Whitby knife not much good?

Yes and no. It's a nice looking knife and fits in my hand well. It's there in your pocket when  you need it for the odd quick job and is fine for that. But yesterday for the first time I had a bit of a project going - not so fine and had to get one of the decent locking ones to finish the work. Having said that, minor usage is what a pocket knife is all about so all I'm really doing to be honest is trying to disguise the fact that I fancy spending some of my pension.

57 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I had  a spyderco and loved it. Broke the blade doing something it wasn't designed for so my fault. Razor sharp and very usable. 

I have a Native 5. Very nice but not EDC. We probably have a generation (or two) gap here, but I fancy that a degree of compromise may not be amiss in as much as we don't do ourselves much good or even help ourselves if we feel the need to go Rambo style. A shame I fancy that HH can't have a word and convince Spyderco et al that for UK EDC something more benign looking would sell well and we wouldn't be doing ourselves any harm and/or scaring the horses unnecessarily.

43 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I have a Native 5. Very nice but not EDC. We probably have a generation (or two) gap here, but I fancy that a degree of compromise may not be amiss in as much as we don't do ourselves much good or even help ourselves if we feel the need to go Rambo style. A shame I fancy that HH can't have a word and convince Spyderco et al that for UK EDC something more benign looking would sell well and we wouldn't be doing ourselves any harm and/or scaring the horses unnecessarily.

The spyderco I had was far from a rambo knife. Not a fan of such things myself. 

What I would like, but can't seem to find is a traditional Italian style lockback. The ones that resemble a flick knife but are manual. For no particular reason other than i want one. 

I think an EDC for serious use (as opposed to light occasional use for opening parcels etc.) is doubtful.  The reason is that you can't have a lock open.  Having had a very near miss when a non locker suddenly closed - I just have no confidence in a non locker for serious work; maybe it is my incompetence .......... but just thinking how things might have turned out worries me.

I have therefore a tiny non locking (but quite upmarket) EDC which is great for light use such as opening parcels, cutting light string, even sharpening a pencil and takes almost no space in a pocket - and so small that you wouldn't even try a heavy job with it.  Then when I need a heavy duty tool, I feel quite legally justified in having a need that makes carrying a locker justifiable.

It is a compromise that works (at leas adequately)  for me.

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think an EDC for serious use (as opposed to light occasional use for opening parcels etc.) is doubtful.  The reason is that you can't have a lock open.  Having had a very near miss when a non locker suddenly closed - I just have no confidence in a non locker for serious work; maybe it is my incompetence .......... but just thinking how things might have turned out worries me.

I have therefore a tiny non locking (but quite upmarket) EDC which is great for light use such as opening parcels, cutting light string, even sharpening a pencil and takes almost no space in a pocket - and so small that you wouldn't even try a heavy job with it.  Then when I need a heavy duty tool, I feel quite legally justified in having a need that makes carrying a locker justifiable.

It is a compromise that works (at leas adequately)  for me.

Nice one, John, many thanks for posting. You're absolutely right on all counts although it has to be said that what I was doing would be classed as light work although a fair bit of it but nothing that a decent edge retaining blade wouldn't have shrugged off. You've caused me to re-think. Why do you want something heavier than a 12 bore cartridge in your pocket? Do you really need a blade much over 2" - if at all. And as seems to be the trend, why on earth does a penknife blade need to be 3mm thick? I found what appeared to be a mis-print in the Fallkniven spec' sheet and was checking it out when I came across Case -  and they measure in Imperial so there's a bonus. All I have to do now is decide which one of two I'll go for.

On 27/06/2020 at 13:50, wymberley said:

I gave my last half decent EDC - an Otter - to my son replacing it with something cheap which I now regret. Having just sharpened it beforehand I used it yesterday and it was blunted in seconds. I feel a reward for staying locked down for several months coming on in the shape of a gentlemans' pocket knife which qualifies as a UK EDC and just as important actually looks the part and not like some ramboesque slit your throat jobby which are being currently touted as a "gentlemans' pocket knife".

Comments welcome along with any other suggestions bearing in mind my last point.

Many thanks.

I have the Fallkniven U1c (cocobolo scales) and it is a great EDC.

If you want (and before you fork out for one) I will post it to you to you to play with for a couple of days - but they really are worth the money.

Let me know?

Cheers.

Iain

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

I have the Fallkniven U1c (cocobolo scales) and it is a great EDC.

If you want (and before you fork out for one) I will post it to you to you to play with for a couple of days - but they really are worth the money.

Let me know?

Cheers.

Iain

Iain,

That is an unbelieveable offer and I thank you very much indeed for making it. PW at its best again. However, John has convinced me. I have a small knife (I think we've discussed this before) about the size that John posted above but it's a locker by Col Littleton (the original No 1) which if legal would be too small for me anyway so I really need something twixt this and the U1. I was also looking at the Real Steel Luna Premium Carbon Fibre until I then came across the Case offerings. I don't mind spending a few bob if something catches my eye and that I can possibly pass on. So I decided to stop faffing about and make a decision While looking around I noticed several "sold out" notices which also included Case themselves and within a few seconds of my order confirmation coming through, this was also flagged up from where I spent my dosh on a Baby Butterbean Prime Vintage Stag Limited Edition so I might have got a tad lucky having made my mind up sooner rather than later.

Iain, once more, thank you very much.

17 hours ago, wymberley said:

Iain,

That is an unbelieveable offer and I thank you very much indeed for making it. PW at its best again. However, John has convinced me. I have a small knife (I think we've discussed this before) about the size that John posted above but it's a locker by Col Littleton (the original No 1) which if legal would be too small for me anyway so I really need something twixt this and the U1. I was also looking at the Real Steel Luna Premium Carbon Fibre until I then came across the Case offerings. I don't mind spending a few bob if something catches my eye and that I can possibly pass on. So I decided to stop faffing about and make a decision While looking around I noticed several "sold out" notices which also included Case themselves and within a few seconds of my order confirmation coming through, this was also flagged up from where I spent my dosh on a Baby Butterbean Prime Vintage Stag Limited Edition so I might have got a tad lucky having made my mind up sooner rather than later.

Iain, once more, thank you very much.

Glad you're sorted. The loan offer remains open if you change your mind or need to scratch that itch!

Separately, The Boker damascus' are available in the US ($130 ish) but with any folder I prefer the slightly larger handle (as the U1) so I can hold it safely with fingers never crossing the fold line.

2 hours ago, Eyefor said:

Glad you're sorted. The loan offer remains open if you change your mind or need to scratch that itch!

Separately, The Boker damascus' are available in the US ($130 ish) but with any folder I prefer the slightly larger handle (as the U1) so I can hold it safely with fingers never crossing the fold line.

My little Lady Magnum is on my desk bside me. If it wasn't a locker, that could well live in my pocket. Hopefully, I'll find out for sure tomorrow and certainly the U1 is no slouch in this respect, but one of the reasons that I went for the Case is the Canadian canoe aspect - when folded and in your pocket there's no sharp edges, just curves.

Well, I've got the little Butterbean and it's an absolute delight. I think scalpel is the word I'm looking for. What it isn't is a general purpose carry all the time jobby - one would probably ruin it if you used it beyond its desgn parameters.

Now more expense! This wasn't there a couple of days go - they're new - I'd have seen it for certain. This is the general purpose jobby for those who think that a gentlemans' pocket knife should look like a gentlemans' pocket knife while being UK friendly:

https://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/shop_product_details_s.php?perm=club-knife-gentleman