Bunter control and a chance to educate.

7daysinaweek

Have been frequenting a "Horsey permission" of late where I have shot many times in the past which has had some large numbers of rabbits over the years for the small acreage and consistent damage. Had been asked to lay off for a little while as the owners were making some significant changes to the grounds.

Over the years I have shot it in the last couple of hours of light as less people about tending to their horses, the owner does make them aware that pest control takes place. On the whole I have never encountered any concerns apart form one individual who "was not happy" despite my polite and educating approach. In the end I told them that I would be continuing my control and to take it up with the landowner who when I spoke to later in the evening had not been approached.

Anyroads back to the thread.

Shot last week in a heavy wind with my trusty S410  .177 but was blown everywhere and when the wind blows it does make the rabbits more wary and just managed the one.

Went back the other evening in the last couple of hours of light and a still warm evening. No sooner had I arrived I crept to the first paddock and there were three out. Onto the sticks and the first one in the bag at a short 20 yards. Walked across the yard and two "Horsey people" appeared asked me what I was doing, I had never seen them before and I explained that I was carrying out pest control at the request of the owner in relation to the numbers of rabbits. So followed a 10 minute Q&A on the elements of pest control and I found them both quite receptive and was one of the more pleasant and sensible interactions re pest control that I have had. It was a shame I had to bid them adieu as time was ticking on.

As the light was just starting to turn there were a good few around I could see from the yard, plenty of ones and two's, had another two in quick succession at around the 30 yards and another as the light was going. Again all off the sticks, that said the weather was perfect. Came away just on dark.

Gutted out in the field and skinned and prepared the next morning. I have several relatives and friends who make use of them for the table.

IMG-20200624-WA0000_opt.jpg

20200613_103134 (2)_opt.jpg

Nicely done mate, normally find the horsey set are happy having the rabbits cleared for obvious reasons,  they just don't want to see it going on.

And you can park in the yard and stroll around,  no big walks carrying all your gear.

19 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Have been frequenting a "Horsey permission" of late where I have shot many times in the past which has had some large numbers of rabbits over the years for the small acreage and consistent damage. Had been asked to lay off for a little while as the owners were making some significant changes to the grounds.

Over the years I have shot it in the last couple of hours of light as less people about tending to their horses, the owner does make them aware that pest control takes place. On the whole I have never encountered any concerns apart form one individual who "was not happy" despite my polite and educating approach. In the end I told them that I would be continuing my control and to take it up with the landowner who when I spoke to later in the evening had not been approached.

Anyroads back to the thread.

Shot last week in a heavy wind with my trusty S410  .177 but was blown everywhere and when the wind blows it does make the rabbits more wary and just managed the one.

Went back the other evening in the last couple of hours of light and a still warm evening. No sooner had I arrived I crept to the first paddock and there were three out. Onto the sticks and the first one in the bag at a short 20 yards. Walked across the yard and two "Horsey people" appeared asked me what I was doing, I had never seen them before and I explained that I was carrying out pest control at the request of the owner in relation to the numbers of rabbits. So followed a 10 minute Q&A on the elements of pest control and I found them both quite receptive and was one of the more pleasant and sensible interactions re pest control that I have had. It was a shame I had to bid them adieu as time was ticking on.

As the light was just starting to turn there were a good few around I could see from the yard, plenty of ones and two's, had another two in quick succession at around the 30 yards and another as the light was going. Again all off the sticks, that said the weather was perfect. Came away just on dark.

Gutted out in the field and skinned and prepared the next morning. I have several relatives and friends who make use of them for the table.

IMG-20200624-WA0000_opt.jpg

20200613_103134 (2)_opt.jpg

Good result. Giving people the choice of you controlling the rabbits or the vet shooting a horse that’s rolled its ankle and broken its leg often changes opinions. 

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Nicely done mate, normally find the horsey set are happy having the rabbits cleared for obvious reasons,  they just don't want to see it going on.

And you can park in the yard and stroll around,  no big walks carrying all your gear.

At the end of a warm evening it is nice just to be able to get them gutted an all the gear quickly into the vehicle. Must get a sling put on the rifle, have been saying it for years, it can get a bit fiddly at times carrying the rabbits, the sticks and the rifle without one. Have slings on all my others just never got round it.

@WalkedUp

What was encouraging was that one of the ladies mentioned the damage done by rabbits to "farmers vegetables" and appeared to have a hint of sensible insight to my motives and as you mention the risks posed to livestock and horses.