Working with Amber?

PPP

I wondered if anyone has tried this?  My knee is FUBAR and when it’s wet over tough ground I take thumb stick because if I slip it dislocates and the ensuing expletives are quite something and heard for miles around.

Ever since i was a youngster I’ve always loved Jurassic park and I wondered about making a stick with an amber top with an insect in.

The amber is fairly pricey so I wondered  if anyone has ever worked with this and how tricky it is..

Also if some fancies taking this on as a commission I would be pleased to discuss it!

Attaching it permanently to the end of the shaft without fabricating some form of clamping system like how diamonds are held onto a ring. is a bit of a nightmare. I suppose you could drill it from the bottom and hide the screw inside a shroud, but amber is a tad expensive, you can get resin ones paper weights on ebay,  suppose you could drill thyat and attach and hide the screw with a bit of thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/264621231678?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=264621231678&targetid=909953938039&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045006&poi=&campaignid=10199634949&mkgroupid=101938390717&rlsatarget=pla-909953938039&abcId=1145987&merchantid=137622674&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3Nv3BRC8ARIsAPh8hgIx7KUxUmBxryYtKPdvIXrUw_nidKFzK_l3MlQyIPRbQ9_5wH0fSa8aAnkGEALw_wcB

Edited by fatchap

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

walk slowly on the norfolk coast shore line.......there is still amber to be found.....

Now that would add a bit of history to the stick as well.  It is a facinating material. I saw two large pieces when In Poland, there was a covered matket with a number of small vendors. These pieces had insects embedded .... way beyond my pocket.

If I remember off a tv programme, amber floats in a glass of water, pebble sinks if wanting to test , always do faux version out of casting resin ? Cheap as chips put any insect or debris in there you like could possibly inlay into a thumbstick should work ok , got an idea already , but I'm out of action for least of couple of weeks now, so will have to wait..

9 hours ago, boo said:

If I remember off a tv programme, amber floats in a glass of water, pebble sinks if wanting to test , always do faux version out of casting resin ? Cheap as chips put any insect or debris in there you like could possibly inlay into a thumbstick should work ok , got an idea already , but I'm out of action for least of couple of weeks now, so will have to wait..

It floats in salt water Whereas most fakes don’t.. Mexican amber is much less expensive, especially if bought in country by ‘locals’ I’m lucky that my wife’s sister in law is Mexican and a trained jeweller 

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

walk slowly on the norfolk coast shore line.......there is still amber to be found.....

When I was like 9 years old my parents took us kids camping on a river.  This river had a ruby mine up stream and the miners would toss Garnets into the river as they sorted the Rubies out.  Dad told us of people finding Rubies in the river and making millions.  Us kids started finding Garnet after garnet and pulled out a 5 gallon bucket full.  We where screaming and talking about the things we where going to buy.  Dad was laughing is *** off as we crawled around a freezing creek digging worthless garnet crystals out.  To this day you can walk up his drive way and find red crystals that look like Rubies because we ended up pouring the bucket out in the driveway.  

58 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

The funny thing is when you rewatch the old classics like that one the special effects are horrible.  But back in the day it was amazing. 

Do you think?

I still love that original film, when I watch it now and think about how old it is I think it stands up really well.

Far better than the two that followed anyway.

19 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

The funny thing is when you rewatch the old classics like that one the special effects are horrible.  But back in the day it was amazing. 

I thought the editing on Jurrasic Park was diabolical. Did you know out of all the dinosaurs and CGI used in the film the most expensive scene featured a cup of water,

We are drifting off topic but nonetheless... I value story telling over CGI. Jurassic Park was a great film that I saw at just the right age, if the dinosaurs were drawn on with a Sharpie it would not diminish it to me.  I can’t abide watching films anymore. Fiction bores me to tears, especially fantasy. I only really like films based on historical events and then I research the wider context. Yes I am that boring. One of the architects in the office watches the Marvel films - despite being an adult - I often consider firing him purely because of as his taste in films and food (bbq sauce, MacDonalds etc) exposes his lack of discernment 🤣