Wasp sting

30-6

Suspended wasp nests are a work of art. Amazing wood pulp patterns in some. Have tried preserving some of all sizes for art/ photography/ education with limited success. Have tried using lite coats of fixative, PVA or aerosol polyurethane. Anyone else as daft? If so what have you used tried? A friend tried to pyrograve one  i preserved. It didn't go well. Think giant old rizla smouldering then FIRE! :lol:        NB

9 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Does anyone remember dolly blue my gran used to put on me if I was stung by a bee or a wasp. 

That brings back memories, my Nan used to use it in the cotton washes in the old gas boiler on a Monday morning to keep the whites white. If I remember it was in a cube about the size of a snooker cue chalk, except she kept it in a cotton bag.

Boiler used to steam the Christmas puddings as well, minus the dolly blue of course.

FB

When i was 2 years old living in Germany i bit into an apple with a wasp on it, it stung me and my throat closed up not enough to stop me breathing but enough to spend a night in hospital.
Rolling forward to when i was 15, and we were scrumping apples from some gardens behind the park and as i went to climb the tree to jump onto the 10 foot wall into the park some bright spark launched an apple at a wasps nest close to me, they went mad, i had them in my hair, down my top, up my trouser legs i ran like heck to my mates house which was nearby and i stuck my head in his dad's large fish tank, i was covered head to toe in stings, I got taken to A and E  and they counted over 80 stings, i got an injection for the pain and to keep the swelling down, they believe that first sting when i was 2 had protected me as my young body had buit up an immunity to the sting in my mouth, and told me i was very lucky as i could have easily gone into anaphylactic shock, most of my body throbbed for a couple of days.

On 28/06/2020 at 20:50, billytheghillie said:

I got bitten by a cleg the other day, nice big 10p size red spot on back of leg.

"Cleggs" do appear to have an insatiable appetite for humans and not just livestock. They are on my list of "heavy hitters" in relation to the array of insect bites. I was up stalking is Scotland a couple of years ago and got absolutely savaged by the midges. I would assume you are used to the midges Billy and they may only occur as a minor annoyance as to others such as myself they can be "the very devil"! 

11 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

"Cleggs" do appear to have an insatiable appetite for humans and not just livestock. They are on my list of "heavy hitters" in relation to the array of insect bites. I was up stalking is Scotland a couple of years ago and got absolutely savaged by the midges. I would assume you are used to the midges Billy and they may only occur as a minor annoyance as to others such as myself they can be "the very devil"! 

Nobody ever gets used to the Scottish midge.  Their capacity to make for utter misery relative to their size is unparalleled.

My wife’s uncle in the highlands has seemingly has built up some immunity to them, but it’s taken him 90+ years. As he can no longer see or feel them he insists his garden is midge free, despite the swarms being so thick on still days that you can’t breathe in fully and your ears clog with the blighters. 

On 30/06/2020 at 10:17, 7daysinaweek said:

we don't get midges in the borders, from Glasgow north wards they are a real pain.

On 30/06/2020 at 21:54, grrclark said:

Nobody ever gets used to the Scottish midge.  Their capacity to make for utter misery relative to their size is unparalleled.

A lad I used to go fishing with had lived up that way. He said they were horrendous.

A place I go shooting at is well known for being very windy. On the rare occasions you get a completely windless summer day the midges can be a real problem. They're only Yorkshire midges though, so a bit less vicious. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

A lad I used to go fishing with had lived up that way. He said they were horrendous.

A place I go shooting at is well known for being very windy. On the rare occasions you get a completely windless summer day the midges can be a real problem. They're only Yorkshire midges though, so a bit less vicious. 

The midges on the west coast of Scotland are the worst, their misery quotient is exceptionally high.  Slightly less voracious as you move east, but they are getting worse.

Folk often say if you scaled a weasel up to the size of a fox they would take over the world such is their ruthlessness, if you scaled the Scottish midge to the size of a house fly not even a fox sized weasel could compete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 15:44, Flyboy1950 said:

That brings back memories, my Nan used to use it in the cotton washes in the old gas boiler on a Monday morning to keep the whites white. If I remember it was in a cube about the size of a snooker cue chalk, except she kept it in a cotton bag.

Boiler used to steam the Christmas puddings as well, minus the dolly blue of course.

FB

we used to get put in aswell when we where nippers, saved getting the tin bath out lol 

Edited by derbyduck

On 29/06/2020 at 15:30, The Heron said:

Does anyone remember dolly blue my gran used to put on me if I was stung by a bee or a wasp. 

Yep, had a lot of that dawbed on me back in the war years. Getting stung was an almost every day occurence for a young kid on a farm.  Gran used to call it the blue bag.

This wasp nest is in the ground. I have poured over it a good dose of diluted jeyes fluid and undiluted bleach, no good. I googled ant powder on wasps and there was yes and no reaction to its working. I think I will try it and then if needed get proper wasp powder.