The Meg

Scully

Don’t bother basically. I have a passion for film of all genres, including ‘monster’ movies especially nowadays with the amazing capabilities of CGI, and although the shark is pretty well rendered the rest of the film is cliched, ( with more than a passing nod and a wink to Jaws and The Abyss ) full of over-acting and simply diabolical plot lines  that you simply wouldn’t undertake in the circumstances. 
I know you have to suspend belief and to a certain degree rational behaviour in movies, but it’s like the director has decided ‘well, we needn’t really bother with the plot too much cos we have a fantastic monster’. It could have been so much better. 

I watched a monster movie set in a museum years ago, it was a good film, suspense, until they revealed the monster!

We also watched 'once upon a time in Hollywood ' the other week, that was just strange,  it had a great ending though, but you were always waiting for the film to get going.  Not what you'd expect from Tarantino and a list of top film stars.

I thought The Meg was pretty good, not as good as Jaws no shark film ever will be. If you want bad and by bad I mean worse than the Sharknado films. Is a cracking film on Amazon called House Shark no words of disapproval quite describes just how utterly diabolical, pointless, unbelievable, and complete and utter ****, this stinking **** of a movie is. I cannot believe they actually found a film company willing to make it. Let alone have the balls to actually release it.

I saw the Meg in the cinema and was equally disappointed - the trouble for me was it wasn’t good, but also it wasn’t so bad it was good. Something like snakes on a plane knows exactly what it is and so is enjoyable in a disengage your brain and enjoy the madness way, Meg played it too straight. In the first teaser trailer it had Statham punching the shark on the nose and that was the level of knowing I wanted but didn’t get.

if you want a really bad one try “three headed shark attack” which is the sequel to... you guessed it, “two headed shark attack”

21 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

If you want a really bad one try “three headed shark attack” which is the sequel to... you guessed it, “two headed shark attack”

I watched three headed shark and thought what the **** happened in two headed shark?? 

I personally like guff shark films, generally involves some bikini clad bird in distress 👍👌

As for Meg, it was alright, the book by the same name is a good read tho 

Edited by strimmer_13

14 minutes ago, fatchap said:

47 Meters Down uncaged is quite a good shark film, well worth a butchers. And so is the Shallows, loved the sharks demise at the end, didn't see that coming.

Yeah, have seen both of those, and enjoyed them both. No such tension in the Meg however, they just seemed to fail to build it somehow. 

The Last Shark which is a blatent and shameless Spanish rip off of Jaws, same idea's Mayor don't want to know, lots of tourist coming to a surfing event lots of money coming in, dirty great 35 ft great white shark mooching about, eating people. It almost follows Jaws's plot to the letter. The shark ain't bad you don't see it until well into the film same as in Jaws. 

2 hours ago, treetree said:

There are some films that are to be instantly avoided because of the actors in them. Jason Statham is one such actor. I believe he is leading man in 'The Meg'.

Adam Sandler is another.

Now I quite like Statham, you get what you expect,  an action film, and Sandler is funny, so you get a funny film,  have you watched grown ups?

On 28/06/2020 at 14:13, Scully said:

Don’t bother basically. I have a passion for film of all genres, including ‘monster’ movies especially nowadays with the amazing capabilities of CGI,

Have you seen a film called The Monster? Brilliant film and quite possibly the most ferocious looking monster since alien. Mother and Daughter trapped in thier broken down car in the woods. The Monster is one ugly *** with a mouth full of chainsaws.

Well worth a watch, But I don't beleive the title of the film is aimed at the creature.

5 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Have you seen a film called The Monster? Brilliant film and quite possibly the most ferocious looking monster since alien. Mother and Daughter trapped in thier broken down car in the woods. The Monster is one ugly *** with a mouth full of chainsaws.

Well worth a watch, But I don't beleive the title of the film is aimed at the creature.

cant find it on amazon.