The Meg

Scully

22 hours ago, fatchap said:

Have you seen a film called The Monster? Brilliant film and quite possibly the most ferocious looking monster since alien. Mother and Daughter trapped in thier broken down car in the woods. The Monster is one ugly *** with a mouth full of chainsaws.

Well worth a watch, But I don't beleive the title of the film is aimed at the creature.

Thanks. Will give it a gander. A Quite Place is worth a look; apparently the sequel ( or prequel ) is out now. 

Watched a film last night called Walk Away. made 2020, must say brilliant and inspired idea for a survival horror film, sadly diabolical acting, terrible cheap cameras, and camera angles, lots of light flashes and all sorts in shot through most of the film let it down big time. Most of the time the cameraman seemed to be trying to stand on a large ball, he was wobbling all over the shop. The boom mike which is always a pleasure to see in shot, put in a sterling performance for most of the film. As I said the acting...well it wasn't acting as such it was a travesty. You could actually see the actors trying to remember thier lines when another actor was speaking. 

Sorry brilliant idea for a film, very clever but terribly made.

I love shark films, my film collection has its very own Sharkive, but I knew The Meg was going to be too bad to see and that's coming from someone who owns Sharktopus. I like my creature features to be either excellently done, with quality actors and a decent script - Jurassic Park, Jaws - or decidedly B-Movie - Megashark vs Giant Octopus. What I can't abide is big budget bad movies. If you're gonna splash the cash, and they must have done to get the CGI and Jason Statham in it, do a proper job and give it some credibility. 

This might be a bit too niche and B-Movie-ish, but has anyone out there seen the Norwegian film Trollhunter? Think Blair Witch Project crossed with the Gruffalo. Somehow it's become a bit of an underground cult classic. Daft, but fun.

22 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I love shark films, my film collection has its very own Sharkive, but I knew The Meg was going to be too bad to see and that's coming from someone who owns Sharktopus. I like my creature features to be either excellently done, with quality actors and a decent script - Jurassic Park, Jaws - or decidedly B-Movie - Megashark vs Giant Octopus. What I can't abide is big budget bad movies. If you're gonna splash the cash, and they must have done to get the CGI and Jason Statham in it, do a proper job and give it some credibility. 

This might be a bit too niche and B-Movie-ish, but has anyone out there seen the Norwegian film Trollhunter? Think Blair Witch Project crossed with the Gruffalo. Somehow it's become a bit of an underground cult classic. Daft, but fun.

I can’t really criticise the CGI regarding the shark as it was really well done; it was the plot and the acting which was wooden. 

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Trollhunter is a excellent film even by Holywood standards 

I thought Trollhunter was a tad slow really, but a fabulous concept. 
As we’re on about monsters, I’ve been pondering on what would be my favourite movie monster ( as opposed to monster movie ) of all time, and I can’t decide. There have been so many.
I have to discount the stop animation of Ray Harryhausen back when I was a kid, even though I considered them fantastic at the time; even though they have their place in movie history, todays CGI just blows me away. 

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

I thought Trollhunter was a tad slow really, but a fabulous concept. 
As we’re on about monsters, I’ve been pondering on what would be my favourite movie monster ( as opposed to monster movie ) of all time, and I can’t decide. There have been so many.
I have to discount the stop animation of Ray Harryhausen back when I was a kid, even though I considered them fantastic at the time; even though they have their place in movie history, todays CGI just blows me away. 

It does, but the trouble is I don't want to be thinking 'wow that CGI blows me away' I want to be thinking 'Wow that shark's really terrifying!' It's just a vessel for thrills, not the defining feature of the film. It's why I loathe Michael Bay films. Everything explodes in slow motion, Meghan Fox's clothes fall off for no reason and a helicopter crashes. It's excitement a mile wide and an inch deep. 

Having said that, I wish the shark in Jaws and Jaws II don't look so much like an extra on a Thunderbirds set. The stuff that wasn't shot by Ron and Valery Taylor looks horrific by today's standards. The film needs to be remade, but only those sequences where it's obviously a giant fiberglass shark that kept breaking down. 

What would be on your list for monster movies? Do giant sharks and dinosaurs count as monsters? and do we need a separate thread for this as it's pretty wide ranging!

7 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

It does, but the trouble is I don't want to be thinking 'wow that CGI blows me away' I want to be thinking 'Wow that shark's really terrifying!' It's just a vessel for thrills, not the defining feature of the film. It's why I loathe Michael Bay films. Everything explodes in slow motion, Meghan Fox's clothes fall off for no reason and a helicopter crashes. It's excitement a mile wide and an inch deep. 

Having said that, I wish the shark in Jaws and Jaws II don't look so much like an extra on a Thunderbirds set. The stuff that wasn't shot by Ron and Valery Taylor looks horrific by today's standards. The film needs to be remade, but only those sequences where it's obviously a giant fiberglass shark that kept breaking down. 

What would be on your list for monster movies? Do giant sharks and dinosaurs count as monsters? and do we need a separate thread for this as it's pretty wide ranging!

I was actually thinking of starting another thread on the topic of movie monsters, but wasn't sure it would have any interest for anyone apart from me. I totally agree regarding Michael Bay films, and for that reason have only ever watched the first one, although I must admit to watching part of Battleship, basically because it isn't about Transformers, but didn't see it through. 

I judge CGI on how convincing it is, rather than it's capacity to scare. I thought the shark in The Shallows was terrifying and entirely convincing, but Peter Jacksons Kong was incredibly convincing but not terrifying at all. Both blow me away.  I find the face hugger disgustingly terrifying and convincing, but the chest bursting Alien scampering across the table like a deranged Jim Henson muppet, hilarious. Unless I'm mistaken, didn't some of the sound effects in Meg include growling? 😂

Jaws is a classic and I'll watch it time and time again; but it's sequel is dire, and when smoke starts billowing from its eye socket ( unless that's yet another sequel ) the entire saga is spoiled. 

Yes, dinosaurs and sharks count as monsters in my opinion, as do giant Anacondas, but if you want to start another thread I'll leave what monsters it comprises of up to you. I'll play either way, it's right up my street. 🙂