Reticle not calibrated.

Trusham

Gentlemen, am I being to fussy? I dont think so. I have a new scope and my 'holdover shots' were not landing where they orta so I checked the MRAD graduation marks to the real world. See pic. The printed 'reticle' is very accurate 25mm spacing and it is at 25m by tape measure. Its a fixed 10x so cant adjust zoom to make it fit. Is about 10% out. Both Strelok and Chairgun allow for a zoom change to make their 'reticle view' fit but that dosent change the MRAD readout making life a bit difficult.

I guess that can be an issue with fixed power or FFP. If it aint right it aint right.

Its a Discovery 10x44 SFIR. Other than that its very impressive for the money.

Would you send it back?

scope..jpg

I take it your confident that your paper target is exactly correct for size .? 

If not then your chasing your tail .

You could try altering the eye bell focus this can sometimes have a small magnifying effect on the ret size  .it might get you into the correct size .

16 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I take it your confident that your paper target is exactly correct for size .? 

If not then your chasing your tail .

You could try altering the eye bell focus this can sometimes have a small magnifying effect on the ret size  .it might get you into the correct size .

100% sure I didnt screw up the measurements. The eye focus dosent seem to have noticeable effect on the mag. 

IMG_5931.jpg

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

Looking at it, its not far off for the money, is the distance good ? ie did you use the tape measure to check.

The scope was an emergency purchase during lockdown while my SWFA was inaccessible. The error equates to about a 27mm miss at 55 mts for a 22 airgun. Not having confidence in your scope will significantly detract from the hunt. Cyclops youtube channel gave them a good review (but for some reason that vid is deleted).

I will probably do my own YT review in the next few days. Its a great shame as most other things are excellent for the price, except the turret splines are to coarse to allow the '0' mark to be placed on the line.

And yes - I had a full length calibrated tape measure from the paper to the objective lens.

17 minutes ago, Robertt said:

If you move the target till it 'fits' what distance is it ?

This. 

Looking at your tape measure , you arent quite lined up in the first pic , and your measurements go a bit awry after 60 mm in the 2nd, unless its just the angle ?
Have you actually tried shooting the target at 55 yards using the ret for holdover ?
The velocity and pellet weight  + or - will have more effect on POI than your ret marks , using .22 at 55 yards.

I think you may be asking a bit much of it really, I would learn the holdover marks for different ranges, as its fixed mag .

I have 4 Discoveries, and for the price , they are excellent , just started using a HD 5-30 x 56 FFP 34 mm with a Pard 007A, absolutely brilliant.

I have received an email from the supplier that says there is a bad batch that came out with 9x mag (I think he means 11x mag as the target is too big). Everyone seems to think Im nit-picking and 10% is 'reasonable'. I always check my new scopes, either to find the calibrated mag is true, or on fixed, that the reticle is true. All others (even cheaper) have been better than this. Trusting the scope is the very foundations of all other measurements. What Im shooting with is not relevant as the scope was fixed on a vice to check it out for tracking, MIL click trueness (which follows my calibration sheet, not the reticle). For £170 it has really impressive optics and solid build quality, with just 3 issues -

1 - this reticle error.

2 The turrets cant be reset to the nearest MIL mark as the splines are about 4x more course than the MIL lines.

3. The POI does not return to zero if you dial right - you have to go past and finish dialing to the left, but a few scopes have this backlash.

I

Edited by Trusham
spelling

14 minutes ago, Trusham said:

I always check my new scopes, either to find the calibrated mag is true, or on fixed, that the reticle is true.

Ill wager you are often disappointed then ?

15 minutes ago, Trusham said:

1 - this reticle error. 

2 The turrets cant be reset to the nearest MIL mark as the splines are about 4x more course than the MIL lines. Never had this issue on any of mine , HD 1-6 X 24, hi 8-32X 50 , HD 5-25 x 50 , HD 5-30 x 56

3. The POI does not return to zero if you dial right - you have to go past and finish dialing to the left, but a few scopes have this backlash. This would be a deal breaker for me, if those clicks didnt return to zero.

Im assuming its an HD ? 
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Discovery-HD-10x44-SFIR-DLTW-SFP_62414386383.html?spm=a2700.gallery_search_cps.normalList.2.74a63126LJNqAG

If youve bought it from Discovery UK , or a UK vendor ,send it back, and try and get refunded ,although Im not buying the bad batch thing.
All mine came direct from Discovery in China , and cost half of what UK retailers sell for.

These a are a 'good' budget scope , no more or less.

21 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ill wager you are often disappointed then ?

Im assuming its an HD ? 
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Discovery-HD-10x44-SFIR-DLTW-SFP_62414386383.html?spm=a2700.gallery_search_cps.normalList.2.74a63126LJNqAG

If youve bought it from Discovery UK , or a UK vendor ,send it back, and try and get refunded ,although Im not buying the bad batch thing.
All mine came direct from Discovery in China , and cost half of what UK retailers sell for.

These a are a 'good' budget scope , no more or less.

Yes the 'bad batch' thing. Whats that about? Really a bad batch or attempt to say all the others are perfect?

So you can take the turret off and drop it down on any MIL mark exactly? I have to try either side to find the nearest spline, often 2 MILs away from what I need.

The different zero, depending on the dial direction is about 3/10 MIL - 3 clicks. I know in the field I will forget to go past and dial left.

I usually use SWFA scopes so not very often disappointed with anything on them (except mixing of MILs and MOA on same scope).

3 minutes ago, Trusham said:

The different zero, depending on the dial direction is about 3/10 MIL - 3 clicks. I know in the field I will forget to go past and dial left.

I wouldnt be happy with that on an MOA scope , with a MilRad that error is multiplied by 3+ X   , so the whole point of dialing in would  involve a complete loss of confidence in your zero ?

Send it back as unfit for purpose.