BEARDED VULTURE

chrisjpainter

There's a bearded vulture/lammergeier around...somewhere! 5 days ago it was in Belgium. 2 days ago, Coventry/Derby. So where it is now could be anyone's guess, but if you see an odd bird that is absolutely massive, then that'd be it!

image.png.432ecfbc37849bf569c7e0c74c2f1b89.png

Photo Credit: Lucy Burrell, on Twitter

Here's the fella. The buzzard was mobbing it, just to give some idea of what 'absolutely massive' means!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Do I remember this visitor last year too?

Spotted near the Severn bridge maybe? Before heading north?

Edd

Not last year, but one was bumming around your neck of the woods for a few days in 2016. It's not the same bird, although the flight passage is weirdly similar: Netherlands -> Belgium -> UK. That one was the only bird I have ever twitched purely for the sake of seeing the bird - and I missed it! If this bird is seen again within a realistic distance, I'm goin' for it!

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Anybody elese heard about this bird. Cannot believe it has not been featured in the media.  Mind, nobody looks up from their phones these days do they.

It will be if it turns its toes up with in 100 miles of a grouse moor! 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, JDog said:

Why would that be?

Because sure as hell keeper/ shooter will get the blame.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it visits my part of the world and i get a chance to see it in the wild. I remember as a kid there being some vultures in  a pen at a large house not far away  

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

An area know for raptor persecution ???

Please explain

A shed load of instances of raptor poisonings and shootings have been recorded there. And these aren't cases of tagged birds simply disappearing, these are birds being found dead or dying and have been given PM's to prove cause of death. 

30 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

A shed load of instances of raptor poisonings and shootings have been recorded there. And these aren't cases of tagged birds simply disappearing, these are birds being found dead or dying and have been given PM's to prove cause of death. 

You are exaggerating in terms of numbers and the post mortems may have been carried out on  instructions from anti shooting organisations and may of course be biased or misleading. 

10 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

It's back! And in an area known for raptor persecution... It's being seen west of Sheffield. Lots of walking needed to see it, it seems, but if anyone's in the area and fancies seeing the largest wild bird ever to have flown in the UK, then you're in with a shout.

image.png.8a14f10ddc77101567e606aec3759e14.png

Have you got a website that you are using to track it? Would love to follow it also.

14 hours ago, wishy735 said:

Have you got a website that you are using to track it? Would love to follow it also.

Alas, that's from Birdguides, which is a feepaying members site beyond the normal stuff. I can give you the public press statement that image came from, but as I'm not a fee-paying member of Birdguides I can't get more than that.

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/tracking-down-the-peak-district-lammergeier/

14 hours ago, JDog said:

You are exaggerating in terms of numbers and the post mortems may have been carried out on  instructions from anti shooting organisations and may of course be biased or misleading. 

The data are pretty clear. White Peak's better than Dark, but the numbers are stark. This article summarises peregrine and goshawk fatalities, as well as barn owl and raven, and it's not great reading. It doesn't take into account buzzard numbers either. It's based on 'confirmed incidents,' which have to be accepted by police as an incident where a crime has taken place. These aren't rigged. you say they may have been carried out on instructions from anti shooting organisations and may of course be biased or misleading. Is that something specific you've got data for? 

https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BB-Raptor-persecution.pdf

Edited by chrisjpainter

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Alas, that's from Birdguides, which is a feepaying members site beyond the normal stuff. I can give you the public press statement that image came from, but as I'm not a fee-paying member of Birdguides I can't get more than that.

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/tracking-down-the-peak-district-lammergeier/

The data are pretty clear. White Peak's better than Dark, but the numbers are start. This article summarises peregrine and goshawk fatalities, as well as barn owl and raven, and it's not great reading. It doesn't take into account buzzard numbers either. It's based on 'confirmed incidents,' which have to be accepted by police as an incident where a crime has taken place. These aren't rigged. you say they may have been carried out on instructions from anti shooting organisations and may of course be biased or misleading. Is that something specific you've got data for? 

https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BB-Raptor-persecution.pdf

Are you for real 

Look at the picture of a goshawk - with wing damage - caused by a shotgun - really ?????

52 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Are you for real 

Look at the picture of a goshawk - with wing damage - caused by a shotgun - really ?????

I'm not gonna go there, it's far off the topic of the Bearded Vulture. start a  new thread if you want and we can carry it on there.

Speaking of which, it's been pretty settled for a few days now and has found a cosy roost, accessible with a bit of a walk (6-10 miles depending on where you park). If I was closer than 175 miles I'd be there! I think I'm gonna miss this one. I missed the last one too!