BEARDED VULTURE

chrisjpainter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I'm not gonna go there, it's far off the topic of the Bearded Vulture. start a  new thread if you want and we can carry it on there.

Speaking of which, it's been pretty settled for a few days now and has found a cosy roost, accessible with a bit of a walk (6-10 miles depending on where you park). If I was closer than 175 miles I'd be there! I think I'm gonna miss this one. I missed the last one too!

Indeed - your thread that you ruined with drivel

Good day

3 hours ago, jall25 said:

Indeed - your thread that you ruined with drivel

Good day

And to you, sir. When you've posted the thread on raptor persecution, let me know and I'll argue it there.

11 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

It would be nice to see, hope it comes ''up north'' lol

You want it to go North, I want it to go south! What's the betting it actually goes east and ends up back in ruddy Belgium or the Netherlands again! It's odd that these reintroductions in the Alps have been going on for decades and we've never had one before, then suddenly we get 2 in four years. 

30 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

That’s what the RSPB say

And the police and a few other conservation organisations and local people, but let's not not go there, here...

1 hour ago, wishy735 said:

Any idea where it is now? Is it on it's way too norfolk?

Still in the Peaks. It's taken up residence of an old raven nest and is, it seems, happy to remain  there!

17 hours ago, tiny tim said:

Thanks.    Am going up on saturday

Good luck sir! you represent the PW faithful who can't make it over to see the bird! just remember, it's a LOT bigger than a buzzard, just in case you think you see several whilst there ;)

Soooo many tourist eagles being reported as vultures!

46 minutes ago, wishy735 said:

Where is it today?

Quick check on Twitter and it seems to be in what's become its usual haunt. It's pretty wide ranging throughout the day (all over the peak district and further) but it's coming back to the same ol' roost on Howden Moor. So, early morning/late evening will be the times to go - or just spend the day on the moors!

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quick check on Twitter and it seems to be in what's become its usual haunt. It's pretty wide ranging throughout the day (all over the peak district and further) but it's coming back to the same ol' roost on Howden Moor. So, early morning/late evening will be the times to go - or just spend the day on the moors!

Thanks, don't do Twitter, so rely on mates I have never met.

On 14/07/2020 at 19:35, enfieldspares said:

I wonder what it might taste like? Maybe dressed in a coating of golden crumb and then deep fried? Anyone for "Breaded Vulture"?

Much the same as golden eagle if my memory serves me correctly :whistling:

46 minutes ago, ninjaferret said:

So, where is George the vulture now then ? All's been quiet .........................................

Going to and from the raven's nest he's taken over. It seems he's happy enough to spend the night there, but goes foraging far and wide during the day. Predicting where he's gonna be during the day is the tricky part! Still plenty of sightings though

This just popped up on Twitter; if anyone else fancies a bash, this might help. Please respect the advice and avoid the red zones - and be nice to locals! And go to their pubs, if they're open, as trade from the birders could be crucial to them given how poor tourist traffic could be this summer

image.png.ca841c32b630bcf41d05372f68be2f0b.png

22 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

Personally, I think it's great he's hanging around. Just wish I could get to see him. 

Generally speaking it's not a good sign if a vulture is hanging around. Be careful what you wish for! :lol: