3 mobile,

rec-baller

We have just left giff gaff as our signal at home is terrible (Giff Gaff piggy back off O2) and I keep missing work calls. 

We have just moved to 3 and so far we are very happy.

£10 per month  = 10gig, unlimited Calls& Texts which include Wi-Fi calling. Internet speed is great giving me 70mps download at home and in the countryside at our shoot anything from 4mps to 30mps. 

The problem with being with brands who piggy back off the main networks is your a second class citizen: not always getting use of all the frequencys the parent company and users have use of, plus no Wi-Fi calling. For me Wi-Fi calling is a big bonus. 

ATB

Matt

1 hour ago, salop sniper said:

We have just left giff gaff as our signal at home is terrible (Giff Gaff piggy back off O2) and I keep missing work calls. 

We have just moved to 3 and so far we are very happy

Recently did the complete opposite.

Best advice is get a PAYG sim for whoever you like and see for yourself what the signal is like. I was with Three for years but the signal is rubbish at my new place  even though it is only a few miles away.

Sim free phones usually work out cheaper so do a lot of research before committing.

I’m on 3 and it’s been fine for the last ten years. 

Moving away as the signal at work is terrible (big steel framed building with a deal with 02 to pipe their signal only throughout the building so can’t really blame 3 for it).

The WiFi calling is ****, I get 2 seconds of connection before fifteen seconds of silence and then a connection. If I am expecting work calls I turn the WiFi off. I understand this is an issue with all networks using the technology rather than just 3. 

You need local advice re signal strength as the variations over a small area can be considerable depending on where the mast that provider uses is located.  Can be big variations over only a few yards due to 'shadows' of hills, buildings etc.

18 hours ago, rec-baller said:

Looking for a new mobile phone ,and 3 have some good deals,

Is anybody with them ,

What's the reception like + coverage, 

Shaun 

The mobile phone market has matured a lot in the last couple of years so if you can afford it then buy the handset outright (£150 will get you a decent phone) and you can save quite a bit of money.  I usually buy mine from Samsung direct: https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/all-smartphones/?galaxy-a   and get a SIM only deal - currently with Vodafone on a 30 day contract (renews automatically every month).   I don't like the idea of being 'locked-in' to anything so am free to move at will.

All mobile companies offer 'Coverage maps' so you can see what kind of service you are going to get.

Traditionally we have tended to opt for a mobile phone with a contract for 18-24months plus.  If you ever do the sums it is very expensive, I bought my current phone outright and got a SIM only deal and it worked out at break-even after only 10 months.

8 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

You need local advice re signal strength as the variations over a small area can be considerable depending on where the mast that provider uses is located.  Can be big variations over only a few yards due to 'shadows' of hills, buildings etc.

This. Plus don’t take the service providers word for it. According to 3 I should have got excellent coverage and download speeds from my address. However I only got 1-2 mbs. If you purchase online then you get 30 days cooling off.